Power Training vs. Heart Rate training

bla bla bla.. get on your bike and ride till you feel like puking. rest for 3 mins. repeat 8 times.

do this 3 times a week and you'll be strong. Tongue

OKAYConfused. That is one way of training. Who needs science and technology? Why do a lot of the top cyclists train with HRM and/or Power metres, if they could save themselves the time and effort and ride until they puke?

bla bla bla.. get on your bike and ride till you feel like puking. rest for 3 mins. repeat 8 times.

OKAYConfused. That is one way of training. Who needs science and technology? Why do a lot of the top cyclists train with HRM and/or Power metres' date=' if they could save themselves the time and effort and ride until they puke?
[/quote']

'cause it's 2008 and riding untill you puke is a throwback to the dark ages and the pros don't like puking unless they really have to Big%20smile

Power Training is not new.

Greg Lemond used SRM in the 80's (it cost him about $10 000). It's just becoming more accesiable to the wider public and like HR in the 1800's Big%20smileBig%20smile , it will come in for a bit of stick from those who find it difficult to accept something new.

In 20 yeasr there will be something else and everyone will say; "no way man Power training is the only way to train. Not this new torsion / hyper drive, synergy inducing, hormone replacing system"

by the way that's patend pending Big%20smileBig%20smile
gianni2008-01-29 06:30:08

You lot think think you know all the answers..... wait untill Ursus Maximus (Peter the Great) and the smoke belching Diesel gets hold of you...... they are going to skin you lot of beeping HR monitor wearing characters alive...... yoohoo!!!!!!!! another multi page posting coming!!!!!!!!!

Hellooo, Bruce, BikeMax ... Anybody Home!!

practically there is no difference to the end result if training with either Power of HR or RPE.

USing a Power Meter allows you too see progress in terms of your power output.

HR you will need tolook at ave speed over a course in relation to either calories or %of HRmax

RPE wellyou soma feel better over the same course.

If you knowyour body well then RPE with HR is as good a gauge as a Power meter. Having the Powermeter just means you atttach a number to "feeling good"

If thats worth a minimum of R7000-00 for new PM to you then go that way. If not, take Groot Lem's advice.

You lot think think you know all the answers..... wait untill Ursus Maximus (Peter the Great) and the smoke belching Diesel gets hold of you...... they are going to skin you lot of beeping HR monitor wearing characters alive...... yoohoo!!!!!!!! another multi page posting coming!!!!!!!!!

Hellooo' date=' Bruce, BikeMax ... Anybody Home!!
[/quote']

Do I really need to answer this, again?

The search function is your friend!

Hellooo' date=' Bruce, BikeMax ... Anybody Home!!
[/quote']

Do I really need to answer this, again?

The search function is your friend!

Hey Boet..... do not shoot the messenger..... and I know I convinced both of you quite some time ago that HRM are best...... teeee heeee!!!!!!!!

There has been a lot posted about this in various past threads as Bruce has said so a search will help a lot.

Some comments;

1. A power meter or HR monitor are only devices to measure intensity - they do not create a training plan or contribute to your performance in a direct way.

2. Is a power meter a more direct, accurate and efficient way of measuring cycling intensity - yes, by far. Look at it like using a thermometer to accurately measure the temperature of a liquid as opposed to sticking your finger in and taking a guess..

3. As for HR trained riders perfroming better than riders training with power - I would love to see this study and it's methodology and wether it produced any statistically significant findings. If a rider responds better to training over 3-4 weeks, then it is possibly attributable to many different factors, but the way they measured their output will not be one of them.

4. Whether or not the investment cost of a PM is justified is a personal decision for each rider - it is only a measuring device. Used correctly and in conjunction with the correct training plan, it will make a signifcant difference to most riders training efficiency and ability to manage their training load effectively.

5. If I can measure something directly and accurately with no external interference, then that would always be my choice (if I could afford it)

Peter

"bla bla bla.. get on your bike and ride till you feel like puking. rest for 3 mins. repeat 8 times.

OKAYConfused. That is one way of training. Who needs science and technology? Why do a lot of the top cyclists train with HRM and/or Power metres, if they could save themselves the time and effort and ride until they puke?"

Seems like a 'puke-o-meter' would do just the trick, we all have one already installed.

Bit like the old tests that the UCT sports science okes used to do on us students before it became an Institute.

Used to fill you up with some saline concoction, got you on the stationary bike and see how hard you went for how long, you got the measly money if you puked.

Funny thing is that unless you are carrying some type of prior condition/ illness/ food issue, it is about the best indicator that you have gone quite far