Coach vs. Book

I downloaded two Carmichael Training Systems videos. Shows you exactly what to do. Got the MTB and Criterium ones. Once I got my entertainment center set up, guess what I'm going to be doing in front of the TV on my IDT. Big%20smile

its good to get a good coach after you cant improve on you own after reading... then redo there programs very year ... its cheaper than speding R500 a months... you still need to ride you bike!!!!!!!!!!

Best is to get all the advice you can' date=' and find what works best for you through hard effort.[/quote']

I agree with that, except that I don't want to spend lots of money with no results. The problem with advice is that it's easy to get everybody's advice. It's the filter process to differentiate between good and bad advice that's the trick.

I downloaded two Carmichael Training Systems videos. Shows you exactly what to do. Got the MTB and Criterium ones. Once I got my entertainment center set up' date=' guess what I'm going to be doing in front of the TV on my IDT. Big%20smile [/quote']

talk about gimmicks! Wink

Everyone is an individual. No athlete (pro or amateur) are the same. A coach will be able to put the athlete through tests and work out a decent training programme from there. The best option would be to seek the advice of a biokineticist who has access to labs and equipment. Apart from the intense specific data, the coach will offer motivation where a book can't. However I wouldn't suggest a personal trainer or a small BA Bio. A sports physiologist is a good way to go. There are some good people at the University of Johannesburg. Decent prices as well

Who are the best coaches in the Western Cape area? How do you guys feel about web based coaching vs. a 1 on 1 with a coach or does it come down to the same thing?

PokerFace, this one is my experience.  I read quite a few books (Joe Friel's Cyclists Bible, Training with Power, even CC and Lances book) but my performance never improved. 

I then tried a local (GP coach).  The guy gave me a 8 week program, but this backfired on the day that I got the flu & bronchitis.  He didn't make a change and I lost 2 weeks of training.  Now 14 days donesn't sound like a lot, but you're not fully recovered when getting back on the bike, so total stuff up!

I then contacted another online coach.  I was very unfit, but I was given intervals that made me so sick I nearly gave up cycling (L4 and L5 if I'm not mistaken!)

I then contacted Jelly Tot and have not been sorry since.  Went down just on 50 mins in the 94.7.  I have done 2 sub 3's, one quite easily on Sunday.  And I feel good on the bike.

So what I'm trying to say, read up, see coaches, until you get someone that gets the job done LIKE YOU WANT IT.  Then just stick it out!

Lastly, if a coach says, and I quote "Jy gaan 'n bietjie werk die week" get ready to bleed, BIG TIME!
ewep2008-01-29 00:17:33

The 8 week one was based in Jhb, not on the web.  The other 2, yes.  I'm in constant contact with Jelly via mail, etc.

sounds like a money problem to me!

get a coach - you will not believe you guilty you feel when you miss a scheduled workout

(and that way you have someone else to blame aside from yourself if you dont perform as expected LOL)

Lets have the guys who have used/use a coach respond by giving time improvements or power number increases.

Mervin, here goes.

Jelly started training me at the end July 2007.  (times are not to the second ok)

Lost City 3:20 (2006) 2:59 (2007)

R4V 2006 - Not ridden as I was scared of the climbing, 2007, finished

94.7 - 2006 3:50 2007 3:07

Fast One - 2006 4 hour something, 2007 2:52