Stolen DH Bike

Guest Omega Man

OM, I met the product developer for Mondraker on a trip to Barcelona in 09. Cool dood! Was testing the Rune (?? iForget.) We stopped in Barca main street covered in mud, three of us chatting while Prada, Gucci, Armani clad shoppers gave enough berth. Shoppers there seem ready to encounter anything, was hardly an issue. In fact, it would be a lot like riding through Cavendish popping off benches and steps like we popped off curbs and drifted smooth cobble street corners!! Imagine...

Dig the rig! A lot!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet ride!

I can't get over that crazy head angle - what is it? It looks like you could ride down a vertical wall without going OTB.

Guest Omega Man

Sweet ride!

I can't get over that crazy head angle - what is it? It looks like you could ride down a vertical wall without going OTB.

Stock head angle is 63 degrees. That is on the slack side for an stock DH bike. The Makulu for example runs a 64 degree head angle.

The bike comes with (as an optional extra) and adjustment kit. It includes spacers for lengthening the wheelbase and adjustable headest cups with 2 degrees of adjustment. so you can get it loooong and slack for those Alpine trips. I'm not gonna buy that right away but when i have cash i think i will but I'm gonna make it steeper. 64 degrees sounds about right.

Guest Omega Man

Ok. So in typical Duane fashion the illogical choice was made. But I don't feel bad. DH is an emotional thing for me so making an emotional choice is perfectly acceptable. This isn't the actual bike I've bought but it's pretty close.

Tomorrow is my first ride out on it.

post-18968-0-13033600-1357910444_thumb.jpg

Ok. So in typical Duane fashion the illogical choice was made. But I don't feel bad. DH is an emotional thing for me so making an emotional choice is perfectly acceptable. This isn't the actual bike I've bought but it's pretty close.

Tomorrow is my first ride out on it.

post-18968-0-13033600-1357910444_thumb.jpg

Sweet! What time are you looking to head out? I'm planning to be up on the mountain tomorrow as well...

Guest Omega Man

Also how did you end up on the turner? what happened to mondraker?

I didn't get the Mondraker cos the one I could afford actually had a bit of a crappy spec. I was looking at getting a Glory but my emotions said no. The turner is 2nd hand. Owned by Myles Kelsey. It's in DAMN good nic. pretty much a brand new bike.

Turner DHR Frame

Cane Creek DB Shock

Kashima 40

Hope hubs

ZTR Flow rims

X9 shifter & Deralieur

desendant cranks

c-sixx chainguide

Renthal bars

Formula K24 brakes.

The brakes are going on my trail bike and Hope M4's are going on there in the next few months. Not this month tho. January is a loooong month.

Oh. and if i can't get on with it my mate Nic says he'll give me his Makulu frame and some money for it cos he loves it.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Sweet! What time are you looking to head out? I'm planning to be up on the mountain tomorrow as well...

9ish.

Guest Omega Man

I hate to admit it....but I liked your Morewood more smile.png

Me too. For me that bike was priceless. I just hate the fact that some P word is riding around on my mak with a dialed Cane creek, Hope V2 brakes and a super dialed 888. I'm still holding out for a tearful reunion.

But Morewoods are FKING ridiculously expensive. 26k for a locally manufactured frame is just crazy.

My wife reckons tomorrow morning when the Turner rides nothing like my mak I'm REALLY gonna be pissed off.

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

Cool, very likely will see you up there.

Sorry bru. I saw you leaving. Mylo got a bit gesuip on Friday night so he only rocked up at 10. then we tried to man handle a softer spring in there. no dice.

Guest Omega Man

Sorry for the crappy cellphone pic but you get the idea. I swopped out the saddle, grips and brakes it came with to get things a little more blacked out. The spring is too soft for my lard ass so it pushes the front a little in the corners. I've ordered a harder spring (TI of course) I should get that on Wednesday.

Apart from the cornering the bike rides amazingly well. It's super balanced in the air and pedals like a demon. I hate to say this but I think this is a better bike than a Makulu. I will be getting some Hope brakes at some point but I can't think of anything else on the bike I'd want changed.

Some highlights

Turner DHR

CCDB rear shock

Kashima Fox 40

Hope Hubs

ZTR Flow Rims

Avid Code Brakes

Straitline Levers

Sunline Direct mount stem

Renthal 10mm Bars

X9

Saint Cranks