Dualie or Hardtail?

Jigghead

Right,

So I've decided to go the clown bike route this year and am now in two minds as to whether or not to get a dual suspension bike or not.

Bearing in mind the fact that my budget is limited (R15K-ish) I'm thinking I'd rather go the hard tail route and get a better specked bike. However, I'd be prepared to pay a little more if rear suspension was an absolute must.

I've been riding a 26" hard tail since I started in MTB, and I'm not against the harder ride, it really does not bother me.

My question is, apart from the additional comfort that rear suspension provides, what are the major benefits of having a dualie in my garage?

I'm going to dismantle my old bike and turn it into a single speed once I've upgraded my primary(only) ride, so any hints on that front would also be appreciated.

J

Edited by Jigghead

What kind of riding do plan on doing with it?

EDIT: I have 29ers in HT and DS flavours and can recommend which would be most suited to your type of riding.

Edited by Delilah

What kind of riding do plan on doing with it?

EDIT: I have 29ers in HT and DS flavours and can recommend which would be most suited to your type of riding.

Mostly cross country, although I do on occasion ride some technical stuff, but not more than twice or so a month.

I ride around 6 races per year, the rest is training and fun. Some of the races are pretty technical, so I'd like to at least try and navigate those. I run and swim as well, so my MTB race participation (although MTB is my primary exercise), is diluted by participation in other events as well.

Comfort is the by-product. A dual will give you better traction and grip, will corner better and, to point out the obvious, soak up bumps MUCH better. The fact that there's some "yield" with a dual will enable you to pedal through more terrain which will result in a higher average speed.

A hardtail is only faster on smooth gravel. Plus a dual is a lot more fun.

HT 29er... the extra volume in the wheels makes it a marginally easier ride than the 26er. On very bumpy rides you cant compete against the DS, however the weight benefit of a HT does often more than compensate. So the question is, do you ride very bumpy technical routes, or your average route like we have here in Gauteng?

I personally have had both the s-works Epic, and Stumpjumper, and went straight bacck to the HT and sold the DS. Just preferred the responsiveness of the climbing, and the technical stuff isnt an issue for me.

Mostly cross country, although I do on occasion ride some technical stuff, but not more than twice or so a month.

I ride around 6 races per year, the rest is training and fun. Some of the races are pretty technical, so I'd like to at least try and navigate those. I run and swim as well, so my MTB race participation (although MTB is my primary exercise), is diluted by participation in other events as well.

Well, to be honest and after having owned the DS for a few months now, I'd say the only reason NOT to get one is cost. Unless you are a top rider and every gram saved counts, a DS is so much more comfy and fun. My Storm is a faster bike, but I am faster on the TB because it is so much more stable and surefooted when things get slightly more technical.

That said, I think you get some pretty terrible DS bikes plagued by things like pedal bob and bad suspension design. A good DS will cost quite a bit more than a good HT of similar spec.

EDIT: Bicycling did a 10 bike DS review http://www.bicycling.co.za/bikes-gear/full-suspension-mountain-bikes-29ers-reviewed/

Edited by Delilah

Right,

So I've decided to go the clown bike route this year and am now in two minds as to whether or not to get a dual suspension bike or not.

Bearing in mind the fact that my budget is limited (R15K-ish) I'm thinking I'd rather go the hard tail route and get a better specked bike. However, I'd be prepared to pay a little more if rear suspension was an absolute must.

I've been riding a 26" hard tail since I started in MTB, and I'm not against the harder ride, it really does not bother me.

My question is, apart from the additional comfort that rear suspension provides, what are the major benefits of having a dualie in my garage?

I'm going to dismantle my old bike and turn it into a single speed once I've upgraded my primary(only) ride, so any hints on that front would also be appreciated.

J

Let me answer you quickly before the troll parade start pounding you with rocks and stabbing you with sharp sticks for asking such a question - because I also asked this question about three months ago expecting some serious answers, because let's face it - this is kind of a big leap.

I switched from a 26" D/s to a 29" H/t on 24/10/2012 and have done just over 700km since then. I thought the lack lack of rear suspension would take away much of the comfort of riding, but I was wrong. We ride jeep track / farm roads / railway service roads about 85% of the time and I've yet to come home with a "bruised" behind. If you're used to a 26" H/t you'll find the D/s "comfortable" but sluggish on the climbs.

The only place where I've noticed a real disadvantage on the H/t is on technical (rocky) down hills where the D/s would keep your rear wheel on the ground, ensuring a more stable line - but for you, being used to H/t, the bigger wheels will only bring joy.

Let me answer you quickly before the troll parade start pounding you with rocks and stabbing you with sharp sticks for asking such a question - because I also asked this question about three months ago expecting some serious answers, because let's face it - this is kind of a big leap.

I switched from a 26" D/s to a 29" H/t on 24/10/2012 and have done just over 700km since then. I thought the lack lack of rear suspension would take away much of the comfort of riding, but I was wrong. We ride jeep track / farm roads / railway service roads about 85% of the time and I've yet to come home with a "bruised" behind. If you're used to a 26" H/t you'll find the D/s "comfortable" but sluggish on the climbs.

The only place where I've noticed a real disadvantage on the H/t is on technical (rocky) down hills where the D/s would keep your rear wheel on the ground, ensuring a more stable line - but for you, being used to H/t, the bigger wheels will only bring joy.

Wow, some nice confirming answers came in whilst I was typing.

Main things:

• Consider the terrain where you do most of your rides
  • Where can you get best value for money (I got a full XT 29" H/T rig for just under 14K)
  • Ride before you buy - swop out with someone in your training group with a 29" D/s and another with a 29" H/t for at least 15 -20Km
  • Ride behind a 29" D/s and see the amount of movement on the suspension setup - best I've seen so far is the Spec's with their "brains" almost no wasted movement on that rear wheel - bit expensive for my budget though.

The fact that there's some "yield" with a dual will enable you to pedal through more terrain which will result in a higher average speed.

Yep, I've experienced that HT riders often stop pedaling when standing to soak up bumps in rough terrain, resulting in loss of momentum. That is when I shoot past them, pedaling unperturbed regardless of those (mostly unnoticed) bumps.

As for climbing, I cannot say that the TB is a worse climber. In fact it climbs better on rough steep stuff because both wheels stay firmly attached to the ground. I think bad climbing is a symptom of bad suspension design.

Edited by Delilah

Great answers from all, thanks.

I'm riding the usual JHB stuff, with a few races in the outlying areas, so mostly flat. Looks like I'm going to need to find a few niner riders in order to commandeer their bikes for a few k's.

Keep 'em comming, thanks again for input so far.

I'm riding the usual JHB stuff, with a few races in the outlying areas, so mostly flat. Looks like I'm going to need to find a few niner riders in order to commandeer their bikes for a few k's.

I'm looking forward to the Barberton (end of January) and Sabie (end of February) races to try out my bike in racing conditions. The Barberton with the 15Km long jeep track climb (at about kilometre 6) will be easier, I assume, but the following 3 - 4 km's after the water table at the summit, will be interesting - fast, winding switch backs, littered with with loose rocks (refered to by some as baby heads). I know I've managed to gun down that part on my D/s in the past, but might have to use a bit more caution on the H/t.

Whether you choose HT or DS, you'll love your new 29er. Happy hunting! thumbup1.gif

If you've been riding a 26" HT a 29" HT will offer slightly more comfort than that as it'll do the whole rolling over obstacles with bigger wheels thing.

Your budget also points towards better value in a HT.

To put a spanner in the works - if comfort is a concern, what about a steel HT 29r?... It obviously won't compare to a DS but it may offer more compliance than a alu HT. A lot of these steel frames are less 'racey' than your alu HT frames and can run bigger travel forks. So it may offer more comfort as well as offer more fun on the technical stuff and be within (or close to) budget.... Just a thought ;)

If you've been riding a 26" HT a 29" HT will offer slightly more comfort than that as it'll do the whole rolling over obstacles with bigger wheels thing.

Your budget also points towards better value in a HT.

To put a spanner in the works - if comfort is a concern, what about a steel HT 29r?... It obviously won't compare to a DS but it may offer more compliance than a alu HT. A lot of these steel frames are less 'racey' than your alu HT frames and can run bigger travel forks. So it may offer more comfort as well as offer more fun on the technical stuff and be within (or close to) budget.... Just a thought wink.png

On one FTW... And they're CHEAP!!!

On one FTW... And they're CHEAP!!!

That's what is was thinking. On One build kit. I reckon you could get something pretty awesome together for R15k.

The Jan 2013 bicycling mag has a very nice decision tree when deciding on the optimal bike. Have a look at that...but basically if you not a race snake and in it for the enjoyment, then a trail bike would be best, which basically points to a DS. i recently switched from 26ht to 26ds and wow, what a difference, did some farm roads today which i could possibly describe as a road fro hell (super corrugated) and i cant even fathom how a ht must have felt. The 29er ds would prop handle it even betterthan my 26ds. Many of the dualies can pretty much lock out the back suspension if eeded and i use that function a lot but when it gets rough, nothing beats the ds ito comfort.