CRITICAL MASS FOR BURRY

izzypzee

I'm in for a big protest ride, whenever Slaapstad wants to do it. I'll take off work if need be.

Tonight 6pm at GP circle.. Moonlight mass organising.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my humble opinion, part of the SA road accident shambles is the fact that a road worthy on a vehicle only needs to be done when a sale takes place. ( in some cases thats once!). Think about how much beating some taxi chassis, brakes, wheels etc takes in a year!!)

As you guys know in the UK the "MOT roadworthy test" MUST be done on a yearly basis ensuring all vehicles are in good working order and flippen "fit for purpose" !! This requirement is staggeringly obvious!?

SA should have implemented this structure 10 years ago.

Please can the moderators bring a bit of organization to this thread so that this initiative does not become fragmented and diluted . We need an authoritive statement from CSA and the Burry Stander spokesman and Criitical mass organizers.

i will make myself available to distribute posters to as many Bike shops and cycliists hangouts in Jhb to adverise this event. We need a formal date,time and place?

Edited by DirtyFrank

In my humble opinion, part of the SA road accident shambles is the fact that a road worthy on a vehicle only needs to be done when a sale takes place. ( in some cases thats once!). Think about how much beating some taxi chassis, brakes, wheels etc takes in a year!!)

As you guys know in the UK the "MOT roadworthy test" MUST be done on a yearly basis ensuring all vehicles are in good working order and flippen "fit for purpose" !! This requirement is staggeringly obvious!?

SA should have implemented this structure 10 years ago.

It would fail.

Taxi recapitilization? Passed by government and subsequently shelved.

Toll roads free for taxis?

Cmon, smell the coffee.

This place is screwed.

Another cyclist killed by taxi? Just another stat in their eyes. They don't give a s h i t

Ok for the JHB people, guys are calling for a ride this evening (4January) starting at Dunkeld Shopping centre on Jan Smuts at 18.00 - Thats 6PM people.

See you there. Bring your lights, this is about road safety. A headlamp/torch/candle/Light Emitting Diode/ All of the above.

It would fail.

Taxi recapitilization? Passed by government and subsequently shelved.

Toll roads free for taxis?

Cmon, smell the coffee.

This place is screwed.

Another cyclist killed by taxi? Just another stat in their eyes. They don't give a s h i t

So true. We have a "Prez" that do not even care about dogs, why would he care about a cyclist, rhino etc.

Conflicting reports about where and when rides take place

Andrew Maclean mentioned on 702 this morning that a Jhb ride will take place tomorrow.

I agree with DirtyFrank. Lock this thread until there is clarity. Then it can be unlocked. Otherwise impact will be lost.

Need some clarification. Is there a definite ride tonight 6:00pm at Dunkeld Shopping centre or is there one tomorrow?

plenty people still on holiday, today / tomorrow is too soon to organise a proper tribute. someone suggested the 25th which would seem more practical, my 5c

plenty people still on holiday, today / tomorrow is too soon to organise a proper tribute. someone suggested the 25th which would seem more practical, my 5c

Why not ride them all?

Why not ride them all?

Why not ride them all?

5 people here and 10 people there will have no impact, .............. all of us together? I will ride as many as I can get to in memory of a true South African great but I want to send a message with all other cyclists that we will miss him and that we are sick and tired of being targets for taxis. Burry deserves a BIG send off

Edited by JWF

Why not ride them all?

It will merely dilute the effect of the rides. Lots of people will attend the 'wrong' event, hence the call for one (possibly nationwide), properly organised and published event. Why not leave this to the people who were really close to Burry, rather than creating a lot of splinter groups?

To those who are organising/attending the rides this weekend (tonight even), what are you hoping to accomplish with the ride? Awareness, I hear? What / where / how / who with?