Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was not there to see what happened so I cannot comment or point fingers. It is very sad. I have known Cherise for ages and I feel very sorry for her. The bottom line is that accidents happen so fast it is unreal. A lot of times it is just that an unfortunate accident. R.I.P Burry.

No, unfortunately most of the time it is some idiot thinking the law doesn't apply to them. True accidents are extremely rare in SA. The "I didn't see...." and "I thought..." lines are simply excuses to deny negligence, accountability and disregard of other people's rights on the road. How the hell can a car rear ending an SUV on a straight road be an accident? Or someone heading at high speed into the back of a truck in the emergency lane? Or a car driving head on into a cyclist on the opposite side of the road, with the car driver being drunk? Or someone pulling out of a petrol station in front of a motorbike with bright headlight? It's time to call these incidents what they are - crashes caused by the negligence of one of the drivers. Accidents are unforeseen and unavoidable. A crash due to negligence is caused by not looking, not caring and not respecting others.

When it comes to both sides of the argument:motorists and cyclists it seems that two things are not common:

Sense

Courtesy

The third thing: obeying the law!

I hope you get caught one day for driving over the limit and get locked in a cell with a guy who f..s you in your anus! It is guys like you who killed my daughter two years ago because you think you know better. Your day will come.

Not good commentary, The Break.

Terrible curse you put out there to your fellow man.

Beyond that, sorry about the loss of your daughter. :-(

TRUE! But, 60??? Someone's brain is still operating in oxwagon mode. Yes, I do break the speed limit. But, when I see slower traffic, cyclists, pedestrian, because I anticipate and scan the road consistently ahead, I slow down. And no, I'm not perfect, nobody is. Oh, over the limit, YES, a couple of times. Then, I drive much slower than the speed limit. And use roads that the cops won't be on. A sober dirver who drives like an idiot, will drive more than an idiot when hes drunk.

Just lost all respect for you bud.

I am singularly disgusted with your mentality and approach to fellow road users.

To coin a phrase, Jesus wept. With road users like you, there is no hope for this debate beyond the continued aggression of all road users towards one another.

Shame on you.

What you really wanna know is who's at fault?

Yes, when I see the way cyclists ride in traffic, they clearly have no clue for the most part.

The answer is much deeper than just cyclists. It is the attitude of the average South African in respect to the law and toward his fellow citizen. He feels he is above the law and comes first and foremost to all others. We are far from what we should be to be classed as a first world nation where our country not only has a first world approach in business, politics, education, etc, but its citizens have a first world mentality towards the state as well as the community of fellow citizens as a whole.

Unfortunately one cannot change the minds and hearts of what we have here very easiy so my guess is things will get a lot worse before they will get any better. Unfortunately for all of us.

Very true indeed, as I see it.

Love the vibrancy of our nation; saddened by the culture of disrespect and intolerance.

A while ago a chicky from the DA was shooting her mouth of about the DA organising bike lanes from Centurion to town and back to the tune of 10 million approved. Enquires to the DA revieled that they nothing about it.

:-(

No, unfortunately most of the time it is some idiot thinking the law doesn't apply to them. True accidents are extremely rare in SA.

Worldwide.

Traffic accidents worldwide are invariably the follow on of a prior law violation.

I read that there's an 8% increase for 2012 accident stats involving cyclists in the USA.

:-(

Good morning all.

Just a quick question, is it legal to cycle on a highway?

No.

Also, because it's illegal, you really need to read the fine print on your medical aid and life insurance, because, surprise surprise, they may not cover you and pay out if you partook in an illegal activity.

Edited by TNT1

I'll agree that I often find taxis more respectful than other drivers. I think too that, driving in heavy traffic all day as they do, they might also be more skilled than we give them credit for. Many of their moves are fairly well calculated

What I have also found that, if I pull up alongside a taxi at the robot, I'll comment to the gaatjie on the weather or something, how hot it must be driving around all day, whatever. I find they always find they're particularly considerate then, if we're on the same route.

Truth is, it really must be hell driving around all day.

I know nothing can bring Burry back, but I like the idea of a Burry Stander Foundation.

I like the idea of a Burry Stander Foundation.

Ditto on the rest of your post, and hell yeah on this bit!