I break the law when I ride on the road

Mr SingleTrack

I would gladly get of my bike and walk onto off the road before you get close rather so that I do not hinder you at all. My life is worth more to me that not stopping for a second or 2.

Thank you.

But this I'm not sure I'd call cycling... you like it?

And to be honest, the Joes around here who do this opt for pushing me out into the road. I've yet to meet one who gets off their bike. And I don't look pretty when they look deep into my eyes as they pass by.

One day I think I'll turn around (with the traffic) and follow a Joe and see just how you guys do this. I really can't get my head around how you handle intersections, cars turning across your path or entering from side roads and so on, and how you survive.

Could you do this with a gopro so we can see??

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop, don't stop, makes no difference. Firstly no-one is looking for you there, you're f**ked. Second, if it's a robot, there's no way for you to see if there is maybe still a green arrow or whatever for the cars turning into you, again, you're f**ked. And in the second point again, no-one is looking for you in that area, so you're now thrice f**ked.

oi bob, read my post, I said out of town. in other words no traffic lights (where I stay we dont have robots controlling the trafficph34r.png )

The driver in the car comming from the front should be "looking" where I am, because if he does not see me he would not have seen other cyclists that might be cycling in the "right" direction.

I can see how this might be best (though yes, it is not compliant with the law)... recently I was driving to work on the N2.. there was a guy on a bicycle riding in the yellow line next to the fast lane against traffic... and I thought it was great cos we could see him and he could see us... ( I also thought he was bloody brave...)

Thank you.

But this I'm not sure I'd call cycling... you like it?

And to be honest, the Joes around here who do this opt for pushing me out into the road. I've yet to meet one who gets off their bike. And I don't look pretty when they look deep into my eyes as they pass by.

One day I think I'll turn around (with the traffic) and follow a Joe and see just how you guys do this. I really can't get my head around how you handle intersections, cars turning across your path or entering from side roads and so on, and how you survive.

Could you do this with a gopro so we can see??

haha, if I cycled on the right hand side of the road at the cradle I would not get very far seeing that there are to many cyclists so i'd have to stop all the time tongue.png but then again at least the cradle has a good cycle lane so it is less risky to cycle on the left hand side of the road over there

Ahhh, I return and see that all is still the same

Glad to see you found the baby you so desperately wanted Dirt*mom™ ;)

We tried our best to maintain the status quo until your return!

haha, if I cycled on the right hand side of the road at the cradle I would not get very far seeing that there are to many cyclists so i'd have to stop all the time tongue.png but then again at least the cradle has a good cycle lane so it is less risky to cycle on the left hand side of the road over there

Over Christmas, i think 2 guys were taken out in the Cradle by cars.

We've discussed this, i see the logic but don't think i'd subscribe to it. Quite often there's black commuters riding on the wrong side of the road, think they also getting smarter to seeing the taxi's as opposed to being suprised by them.

I was hit from behind round 11 years ago, took a while but i don't freak out anymore. I also see how some people ride and it's just messy, people almost need to adopt a defensive cycling practice.

Commuters don't hunch over and pound the pedals the way we do, as they are not training. If we ride like commuters we will be sitting more upright, riding slower and generally be more aware of our surrounding and less aware of our training goals...

I also sometimes ride on the wrong side of the road when I see fit. Paarl's mainroad as well as the road to jonkershoek is pretty safe for cyclists but one I get on the back roads with trucks and 120km/h speed limit I want to see when someone is not paying attention, tank yuu!

If we weren't so concerned about the look of our bikes we'd just apply common sense and fit them with decent rear view mirrors. No need to ride against traffic (40kmh + app 100kmh equals 140kmh impact speed)

There is a very small percentage of people amongst us that would feel the weight difference. Everyone could safely see the approaching truck.

I had 2 cyclist riding on the wrong side of the roadR44, next to each other, i had to cross the yellow line because these fools did not get out of the way

I think we as motorists forgot the fact that it is illegal to drive in the yellow lane, it is an emergency lane, and not there for people to just stop and turn on their hazards or move into so that someone can pass you.

I do, I go over the speed limit to get away from all these other idiots on the road, and that is in my car.

yikes, the only bit of lunacy left to be bragged about is Lance's straightfaced confession.

How does that saying go? Stupid is as stupid does.