Advice on lights needed

oclv110

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Based in Uitenhage, but he is in PE as we speak on business. You'll have to speak to him about prices.

What I can tell you though, that with his lights you'll pay allot less than commercial lights to get the same amount of light. Or, you'll pay the same, and get allot more light, if you follow what I mean.

Very interesting builds there. It definitely tickles my interest.

Anyone else looking to have some fun with it, check out these site for the electronics:

www.communica.co.za

www.rssouthafrica.com

Looks like I'll may be adding light building to my already impressive list of unfinished projects.

My friend makes his own lights and he sells them as well. FLIPPIN bright stuff' date=' looks extremely pro, doesn't look like backyard kit. Kicks dust in the eyes (lens?) of HID, I've seen the comparison shot. Makes my Sigma EvoX's look like a penlight.

Can give you his number if you want.

[/quote']

Let him post some pics and prices here. It must be amazing then because I like my Evo X light.

Here's his website, under construction. He's sending me some close-up pics later.

These things a sickening bright...

I WANT SOME!  Depends on the price of course, but I have been trying to source 1 or 3Watt LED's in Cape Town and it's IMPOSSIBLE!  Anyone know where I can get these?

Also, what are the cost of the built system?  What watt ratings (lumens mean squat!)

20080203_034910_MTB_light1.jpg

My down light fits nice in piece of rubber pipe they use

below sinks, U-trap? Takes heat well, would prefer fewer watts that would give

more than 2hour's battery life. So I'm looking for decent starlight (10W)

housing, got to be metal, got the one in pic from Carlton (0116601030) in Krugersdorp,

not parabolic, terrible directing of beam with to much scatter.

Used TV aerial fittings, cheap but won't do in rain. I strap the pipe down on

my helmet, prefer to have light where I look, also better option should maintenance

in the dark be necessary.

You guys can call the number on the http://www.brighter-lights.com/ website. Speak to Johannes. He's been doing this for a while and I know he went through allot of LEDs and battery options to get the best ones that last the longest. He did the research so you don't have to...

We have also tried many options and have always been dissatisfied with the result.

In November 07 we read about some green led lights that a member of the Dark and Dirty MTB club ( Pretoria) had designed. We bought two sets and tried them out at the Mugg and Bean 24 hr at Northern Farm.

Dirk is an IT software programmer and they have done some clever things with the processor.

The green lights worked really well.The cost was about R600.

Look in the March edition of Ride magazine under the letters to editor section for some more details.
I FLY2008-02-03 13:23:13

Dirk did well with the lights.  Think I saw an mail that said that they are gonna make another batch.

I tested mine in and urban area riding the side walks and cars asked me to dimm my lights (as if...)

Only thing is that I sukkel to get a magnet close to the speed sensor to get the speed function going.

Great lights and realy worth it

(oh yes, think Dirk's son makes them btw)

Here's his website' date=' under construction. He's sending me some close-up pics later.

These things a sickening bright...

[/quote']

I WANT SOME!  Depends on the price of course, but I have been trying to source 1 or 3Watt LED's in Cape Town and it's IMPOSSIBLE!  Anyone know where I can get these?

Also, what are the cost of the built system?  What watt ratings (lumens mean squat!)

These look great - also want to know the price.

WH: Watt means squat in terms of light output. Watt is the unit of energy and can be all heat!

What you really want to know for a light is illuminance measured in lux.

Lux is lumens / m? This is what the eye perceives.

However illuminance will vary depending on many factors, including the angle of the reflector used, the distance from the light source etc, so no light manufacture will publish this.

The output in lumens does give a good idea of what you can expect from a light source.

Yebo electronics have 1W LEDS, but I am also looking for 3W.

http://www.fort777.co.za

http://www.fort777.co.za/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=269_456_532_536_1067

50mm Threaded irrigation adopter also works well for a downlighter. Drill a 48-50mm hole in a stop end which will hold the downlighter in place. Must agree that a downlighter is not the best light and also went the Maglite route.

50mm Threaded irrigation adopter also works well for a downlighter. Drill a 48-50mm hole in a stop end which will hold the downlighter in place. Must agree that a downlighter is not the best light and also went the Maglite route.

Down lighter bike lights are old hat. I built my first down lighter set 5 years ago.

20080204_001430_MK1-01.jpg

For my MK2 set (2006) I used 6V Cateye replacement bulbs and just made my own housing from irrigation fittings at a fraction of the cost of a Cateye light.  With 6V you can half the battery size and still get the same light output.

20080204_003410_P1000049.jpg

Now I want a LED light. Just looking for 3W high power LEDs.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=248012

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=379341

http://michaelcarden.net/luxeon/luxeon3.php

mountain_lion2008-02-04 00:34:39

Blackburn's Mars 3 just scored 5/5 on bikeradar.com. I use them they and they are by far the best I've seen.

PLUS THEY COME WITH A LIFETIME WARRANTY

• 3 months later...

20080526_010802_P1170627.jpg

I purchased one of these lights from Johannes Gerber in Uitenhage and not only are they a work of art but they actually work and make all my riding mates with commercially produced lights fade into the darkness when I put my light on.

Burn times are phenominal at max you get over 6 hours and on the lowest settting(which is as bright as the commercial lights) you get 130 hours. Absoloutley Awsome.