Black spade bikes good or bad?

Sitting slip

I will rather support someone like the Black Spade crew than try save a buck or 2. They have gone to all the effort to design spray jobs and all that and therefore it should be rewarded. And the amount of profit they make is completely up to them as it is a business and not a charity!!!

I think guys from Black Spade are doing a great job in getting the brand out there and every race u go to these days u see their bikes!!! Big up Black Spade crew

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah if only it was so easy then should we not all do it?

I'm sort of sitting on the sidelines here, but do like to follow how trends develop. From what I can see BSR offer quality:bling:price at a better ratio than the so-called big brands. They don't hide that they source the parts and put them together. What you're paying for really is this leg work, and a guarantee of sorts that the stuff will work. Importing it yourself and you take on this risk.

I think they fill a niche in the market, but should be aware that trends can shift quickly.

I think people said the same thing when CRC was starting to gain traction. It seemed to good to be true, how is it possible that I can buy XXX tyre from CRC and pay less than what my LBS gets wholesale from the official distributor? Well it is true, no one flinches with CRC anymore and the customer is winning.

If you want to talk about the pros and cons of importing you should at least know what you are talking about - you clearly dont know what Duty and FOB means..

How did you decide which company was reputable and actually would indeed send the good after payment? That would be my biggest concern when sending R5-7k to Yishunabikes or whoever.

as a side note - international payment is easy - even with swift/without CC. FNB have an option and you can do it over internet banking and you also earn a heap of E bucks.

Ah if only it was so easy then should we not all do it?

I wish more people would! Its super easy. I've on my 4th frame import at the moment. Smooth sailing. And imported another R6k worth of other merch as well in the last 10 days.

I doubt bikes are landing, duty paid, for R5.5k. At 30-40% duties, you saying that full carbon bike frames are FOB R4k? seriously doubt that.

Not sure how you getting bikes into the country, but there is a lot more to a landed cost thatn just the factory FOB.

I must be missing something. Last 2 times I imported a frame I paid no more than R200 levies at the Post Office. What you talking about?

I wish more people would! Its super easy. I've on my 4th frame import at the moment. Smooth sailing. And imported another R6k worth of other merch as well in the last 10 days.

Who do you use?

How did you decide which company was reputable and actually would indeed send the good after payment? That would be my biggest concern when sending R5-7k to Yishunabikes or whoever.

One word: "ESCROW".

If you aren't happy with the product, the payment is not released to them. I spoke to reps for weeks before deciding on a company to go for. And my last purchase was R9k.

One word: "ESCROW".

If you aren't happy with the product, the payment is not released to them. I spoke to reps for weeks before deciding on a company to go for. And my last purchase was R9k.

Excuse the ignorance ... go on .....

as a side note - international payment is easy - even with swift/without CC. FNB have an option and you can do it over internet banking and you also earn a heap of E bucks.

Check if they are a "Gold Supplier" or "verified supplier" - this means that they are ligit. They also make use of systems where the transaction can be cancelled if you dont receive your goods within a certain period.

Excuse the ignorance ... go on .....

3rd party company that holds the money untill both buyer and seller is happy. Seller then gets the cash when buyer says he is happy. The company I deal with most has that service.

Side note, as mentioned I just bought another R6k worth of goods from China. Very risky as the purchase didn't use escrow or something that I could go back on if I got screwed. The parcel is on the way...

30% on a full bike, really, not 15%?

I dont import bikes so wasn't 100 sure on the duties issue. So i'll put my hand up there. But don't be a prick and tell someone they don't know what they talking about. Tell me Johnny, do you know what FOB stands for and how it relates to the price you pay at factory door versus the price you land it at?

Please, PM me your thoughts as I'm sure everyones tired of all this.

Im trying to support this guys brand and you're being a cock telling everyone to just import their own. Whatever mate.

Edited by thealmightydon

I must be missing something. Last 2 times I imported a frame I paid no more than R200 levies at the Post Office. What you talking about?

I'm intrigued as to how you land a ± R6k frame with only R200 levies which means approximately R165 VAT and R35 admin fee? BSR, I'd imagine, pay VAT on the CIF price plus 10% ito the VAT Act.

To pay R165 VAT means your vatable amount is R1,178.57 giving a cost INCLUDING FREIGHT of R1,071.43. That's US$ 133.

No wonder the feeling is that importers are ripping the locals. A R12,500 retail price including VAT. That's 11 times his money back! I wonder why every one is not doing it.

Or you're not paying your fair share of VAT that legitimate businesses have to pay?

I tried to buy a dual suspension frame for R6k landed in SA with VAT paid. I gave up. Although my business imports (non cycling) products I couldn't get close.

I've recently moved to a BSR with ISP and couldn't be happier. The bike is stiff and stable and a pleasure to ride.

I like that the spray job is custom and I won't be seeing another one around.

I paid much less than a big name brand and a little more than doing it myself. At the end of the day if something goes wrong with the frame I know the guys at BSR will sort it out for me - no hassle.