My very first MTB Race - Need help.

Peanut Butter

Hi guys. I'm doing my very first MTB race this weekend @ The USN race in Midrand. I'm only doing the 30km race but after spending 4 days @ Rietvlei I realize that 30km on a MTB (for a unfit novice) is no joke. Please help me with some issues regarding MTB racing. What to take, how to setup the bike (tires,shock, etc). Do I need a camelback or not. Things like that????

Thanx.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey peanut butter,

I ride rietvlei with my wife every weekend but every now and then we do i trip to the blockhouse wimpy for breakfast. Works out to 40km's im not sure but i dont think rietvlei is a good track to judge racing fitness. Its very technical and i think the USN races are more open flats. Wait for some replies perhaps there are more guys that have ridden it with some advice.

Hi guys. I'm doing my very first MTB race this weekend @ The USN race in Midrand. I'm only doing the 30km race but after spending 4 days @ Rietvlei I realize that 30km on a MTB (for a unfit novice) is no joke. Please help me with some issues regarding MTB racing. What to take, how to setup the bike (tires,shock, etc). Do I need a camelback or not. Things like that????

Thanx.

Try not to get caught up in the hype of the race, pace yourself for +- 20 kms then you can put the hammer down. Don't think a camelback is necessary for 30kms unless its insanely hot. Dont try anything new on raceday in terms of equipement and food / hydration

Thanx.

Those are wide open questions :-)

The 30km lap at Base 3/Stoke City is rolling but not hilly if that makes sense. It's a fun, fast(ish) and flowing course.

Take: 2 water bottles - as a beginner I reckon the course will take you around 2 hours. Set tyre poressure to ~1.8bar (if they're tubeless and you weigh <80kg.

Shock - follow the manufacturers advice for noe and set the pressure to whatever the manual says - it's too early on your career to have a feel for shock settings.

Start slow - you can always speed up at the end but if you blow it's a long way back!

There are one or two technical bits - walk them if you don't feel confident. Having been at Rietvlei there should be nothing at the USN that you haven't seen before though.

Have fun!

Thanx Wessel. maybe will join you one day on that brekkie.

Raab, what about some MTB ettiket??? where do I start?? Must I start @ the back or does it depend on the kind of route we do??

Eat Breakfast! And remember you helmut/shoes/gloves and water bottle. Just pace it and go enjoy the day.

Thanx.

Start at the back, nice and slow and see how many people you get to overtake on the way. Just enjoy it and learn from it. Dont get caught up in the mad dash from the start! Try not to fiddle too much with the bike before race day as you could cause unneccessary anxiety to yourself as well as damage to the bike/parts that may not be fixed in time. Just have fun and use this as your benchmark (your fitness and bike handling/skills) for future events.

What he said. Take it slow, you wont win it so just enjoy. If tubeless 1.8 - 2 bar. Normaly I would take 1 water bottle and one race feul bottle. If tubeless plugs if tube 1 spare. you dont want to walk the route.

Eldron, this is what I need help on thanks. I'm 110kg and my tire pressure is around 2,8bar. Have no idee what it must be.

tube or tubeless 26 or 29

Raab, what about some MTB ettiket??? where do I start?? Must I start @ the back or does it depend on the kind of route we do??

I reckon start near the back - it only adds to the pressure if you start near the front and people are trying to pass you. This is your first race - enjoy it - don't race it.

Try and keep left - at some point the stronger riders doing the 60km will lap you. Don't compromise your safety though.

Eldron's standard MTB advice - scan the course ahead and be aware of whats around you - that way there are no surprises!

tube or tubeless 26 or 29

Tube 29. Well, I bought the Titan Comp 29er with the standard stuff, so I think it's tube. I need to find a book like "MTB for dummies" or something. Like I said, I'm knew to cycling. lol

Eat Breakfast! And remember you helmut/shoes/gloves and water bottle. Just pace it and go enjoy the day.

+1!

Pack the night before - last thing you want to do at 5am the morning of your first race is rush out the door without your helmet/shoes/bottles.

Breakfast should be at least 90 minutes before the start.

Tube 29. Well, I bought the Titan Comp 29er with the standard stuff, so I think it's tube. I need to find a book like "MTB for dummies" or something. Like I said, I'm knew to cycling. lol

With tubes probably a little higher to avoid snake bites.

I think 2.5 will be fine then dont want a snake bite. What do you say Eldron