Shingles

I was diagnosed with Shingles 3 weeks ago. Mostly on my forehead and hair area. Also had stabbing headaches.

Was put on potent anti-viral meds plus Mybulen and Lyrica (anti inflamatory).

I did a ride 2 weeks later. I took it easy and felt ok but not very strong. I have been taking it easy since.

I was warned that viral infections can lead to CFS if you don't rest enough during recovery. I still use Mybulen from time to time due to headaches.

Question: How soon will it be safe to increase my training load again?

to be totally honest I'd rather talk to your doctor then take advice from here on hub (unless advice is given from a doctor)

there is nothing worse then some of the but pietie said or recommended cr@p that doctors have to deal with, because of advice given from someone who doesn't know the first thing about what they talking about

CFS = Cronic Fatigue Syndrome

The doc said I will know when it is ok to train. If I feel better, go for it. He also said that the virus will not affect other things, like the heart muscle etc like the flu virus does.

Pardon my ignorance but whats CFS?

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Edit: Sawdust got there first I see!

Edited by Grebel

Had shingles last year, took the anti-viral meds, two weeks rest. No problems.

Tell your doctor you are training, if you notice any problems, go straight back.

Doc told me that the Chicken Pox virus never leaves your system, but shingles should only happen once as a result of of the chicken pox virus reactivating for some reason. It is much better to have shingles when you are younger, if you are older (over 60 to 70 years old) it can cause serious problems, up to one year to recover from the pains.

Apparently, you should also go donate blood when you have just had shingles, I think they can extract some chicken pox antibodies from it. Speak to them if you are a donor.

• 2 weeks later...

Two points of interest:

1. Lyrica (pharmacolgical name - pregabalin) is an anticonvulsant used to treat neuropathic pain, i.e. pain originating within nerve fibres.
  2. Shingles can recur. It is the reactivation of the original virus which caused Chicken Pox (Varicella zoster) which has been dormant within the affected nerve. This is why Shingles affects the distribution of a specific nerve only, and not the entire body. In this case - the nerves of the face.

Anyhow, just my 2c. Hope you're back on the bike already!

Go to chemist and get Nerobin injections for a week (its a advanced vit b complex) and watch you foods..

No caffeine

No smoking

No no alcohol for a month or more.

LOTS OF GOOD DEEP SLEEP.

EVEN A TWO TO THREE DAY SLEEP HOLIDAY

NO Strain , sport to a min.

Look it up on Wikapedia.

Chill. Chill and chill. Sooner you get rid of it the more chance is will not show up again.