Tour of South Africa - CANCELLED

Owen

What is going on at CyclingSA. I spoke to one of their officials earlier today and was told, the tour had to be cancelled because CyclingSA wanted too much money from the organisers (Like R1million). Angry

Does anyone know more about this ?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They know but dont tell. I know there were lots of extensions given on financial guarantees that had to be provided. But if R1m were promised in a contract then surely they must pay. its an overseas company organising with SA money as sponsorship.

To pay R1 mil for only a one year affiliation fee is crazy!If CSA had the insight to extend this for 5 years or so, then they would have kept the sponsors. I would also hesitate to pay anything if I knew you dumped your commercial partner only a short while ago. Tel me, does the Giro del Capo pay R1mil affiliation fee per year......?

Austin...Were you banking on such an event taking place? I'm sure it would have been a highlight for your guys?

This tour was surpose to be from Jhb to Durban.

Each municipality or local council was going to help with funding. The KZN Govt was purchasing racing bikes to be handed to underprivilaged kids as well. Rumor has it that they are pissed off with CSA.

I think the local teams who registered as Continental Teams for 2008 must be also pissed off. A lot of money down the drain.

It's on. It's off. What is this? Eskom?

The event was supposed to guarantee a certain amount of money to ensure that overseas riders could come, hotels are paid.... blah blah blah.....they couldn't do that - so the event is off.

4hours of TV time, cycling to new destinations and new places for sponsors to be seen, all down the drain...Napalm- Cash was in place, but to pay a bar for one year deal will not work anyware, trust me... No right minded sponsor will pay that.

Wow. If the money was there I believe an old fashioned witchhunt is in order.

***** gets pitchfork ****

Chrispy, I know the SA team are still waiting to hear if they are going!!!!!!  rumour has it that the unrest there is the stumbling block..... but who knows!!!

I dont understand,.............was the tour cancelled because the CSA wanted a Mill in their pockets just to give the thumbs up to allow the the sponsor the rights to stage the race, or did they want a mill to pay the local organiser costs etc to RUN the race, (a sort of guarantee that there was funding for costs)?

I would say a mill is not that much to run a race of this magnitude, and I dont see anything wrong in asking for a financial guarantee up front, but if it was just for a signiture on paper and the mill went into their pockets.................well thats just plain greedy and they deserve to loose the sponsor.

porky2008-01-30 23:59:39

porky, agreed!  BUT if they wanted the mil just for their signature then each and every member should be shamed and then fired.