IM70.3 SA 2014

Milkworx

I guess there's a whole lot to say about this and many variables, but ill ask anyway..

Any tips on roady + TT bars? My back hurts from being folded double I guess, that I can deal with. Just don't want to sacrifice any power from the legs/overwork them for being in a streamlined position, I'd rather be strong.. Roady geometry and TT bars dont always work together if I understand correctly.. Whats ur experience with this?

I am also looking for a answer on this is issue. Is it really worth it putting TT bars on the road bikes for people that just want to finish Ironman and are not to concerned about times.

How much time do one really save using TT bars on road bike?

Does using TT-bars save the legs for the run?

Will appreciate some feedback from guys that put TT bars on their road bikes.

Thanks

• Replies 534
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess there's a whole lot to say about this and many variables, but ill ask anyway..

Any tips on roady + TT bars? My back hurts from being folded double I guess, that I can deal with. Just don't want to sacrifice any power from the legs/overwork them for being in a streamlined position, I'd rather be strong.. Roady geometry and TT bars dont always work together if I understand correctly.. Whats ur experience with this?

Yeah, most people are going to say that you should get a Tri specific bike and yes while that may be the obvious response, IMHO its not the only option. Triathlon existed for many years with people riding road frame geometries before everyone became TT frame beforked.

I’m busy adapting my road frame and riding position for an IM event later in the year. So far I fitted clip on TT bars plus a slightly shorter stem with a steeper angle to raise my bar height. Also moved my saddle all the way forward (I already have a zero set back seat post), might even change to a forward facing seat post later on. So far I have only ridden on the indoor trainer but have found riding on the TT bars with this set up much more comfortable than with my standard road set up. Next I’m looking at getting a Triathlon type saddle that is more suited to the typical forward on the seat tri position.

For me the key is comfort and efficiency over aerodynamics and fancy Tri geometry frames that force you to adopt a much lower handle bar position (or add a lot of spacers). IMHO achieving this on a road frame that you are used to is possible by making some simple changes to seat position (including changing the seat and seat post if required) and handle bar position (including changing the stem if required). Obviously it’s a bit more complicated than just moving the seat forward and shortening the reach so it would be advisable to go to a recognised bike fit (Tri experienced) technician to assist.

1. How much time do one really save using TT bars on road bike?

2. Does using TT-bars save the legs for the run?

Thanks

1. Yes big time, probably the cheapest, easiest and biggest performance enhancing trick you can legally do.

I did a TT test once many moons ago and found that by riding on TT bars it increased my speed instantly by about 1.5 to 2 kmh at 32kmh, the effect increases if you ride at faster speeds i.e downhill. It also lowered HR slightly when compared at the same effort to.

2. Apparently so...provided you have the correct seat position allowing a more open hip angle.

A mad kick-off to 2014 workwise leaves me with little time to think about it... When

I do, I'm much more exited than nervous. Looking forward to experiencing a race of that magnitude and hype.

I'm in EL from the 22nd, and staying at the Majestic Hotel right next to transition. Would the fellow Hubbers be interested in going for group swim/last ride/pre race beer?

Howzit Snytjie .. x4 of us arrive early on Friday 24th and are also staying at The Majestic. The plan is to get out at 10 for the first official training swim, register, browse around at the expo. as well as review the x2 bars right at the Majestic.

See ya then

Howzit Snytjie .. x4 of us arrive early on Friday 24th and are also staying at The Majestic. The plan is to get out at 10 for the first official training swim, register, browse around at the expo. as well as review the x2 bars right at the Majestic.

See ya then

Don't get to excited about the bar there .... the hotel is not exactly majestic.

Rather to go the Highlander at the Blue Lagoon

post-23299-0-31002500-1389604428_thumb.jpg

Anybody still looking for accommodation, Blue Lagoon Hotel still has a few rooms available and the pub is right there. :)

Anybody still looking for accommodation, Blue Lagoon Hotel still has a few rooms available and the pub is right there. :)

I think you owe me a beer for shamelessly promoting your spot.

I am also looking for a answer on this is issue. Is it really worth it putting TT bars on the road bikes for people that just want to finish Ironman and are not to concerned about times.

Thanks

I wondered the same myself, put aerobars on my bike this week and went and did 120km in the cradle over the weekend. They made a HUGE difference, just in terms of my general comfort on the bike (having more positions, being able to give my hands and shoulders a rest etc..)

It also seemed to make it easier to keep my average speed up, I reckon it helped my average by about 2km/h, which over the course of 180km on IM is quite a saving, plus I think you will expend a lot less energy over the 6 or 7 hours..

I'm sold on them....just my 2 cents

A mad kick-off to 2014 workwise leaves me with little time to think about it... When

I do, I'm much more exited than nervous. Looking forward to experiencing a race of that magnitude and hype.

I'm in EL from the 22nd, and staying at the Majestic Hotel right next to transition. Would the fellow Hubbers be interested in going for group swim/last ride/pre race beer?

Also at the Majestic from Thursday.

Would be great to get to know some faces from here.

Don't get to excited about the bar there .... the hotel is not exactly majestic.

Hahaha! The other day I had a look on Google street view at the hotel and general area and I thought then that the name might not necessarily correspond to the status quo... I'm just glad that I don't have to circumvent race day road closures etc.

Nice to hear from other Majestic patrons. We'll definitely meet up. Shall we keep each other posted on our plans and opportunities for rides/swims/runs via this thread?

I shall be going to spectate, so if you guys post your numbers on here, I'll be sure to try to cheer you on! :D

Hahaha! The other day I had a look on Google street view at the hotel and general area and I thought then that the name might not necessarily correspond to the status quo... I'm just glad that I don't have to circumvent race day road closures etc.

Nice to hear from other Majestic patrons. We'll definitely meet up. Shall we keep each other posted on our plans and opportunities for rides/swims/runs via this thread?

The Quigney is kind of like Obs/Woodstock but by the sea.

I shall be going to spectate, so if you guys post your numbers on here, I'll be sure to try to cheer you on! :D

:clap:

Two weeks to go and feeling super exited, my second one so knowing the course will be a massive advantage this year. Hoping to smash my time down from 5:45 to around 5:25 or less. Been putting in the hard yards and stayed pretty much illness and injury free so holding thumbs to keep it together for another 13 days. Enjoying the taper for sure

Thanks

BikeRadar or Slowtwitch or some other well known site ran a test on the proportional savings interventions make when going from road bike setup with hands on hoods to full TT. I can't search for it now, but you'll find it pretty easily.

Aero bars contributed 30% if I remember correctly. I don't think that there is any doubt that a full TT setup will help you much more than a normal road one, so 30% of that is directly attributable to the position the bars get your body into. I would say providing that the setup is done properly and that you have a bike which can accommodate your dimensions. If not, it might be detrimental as it could work too hard on e.g. hip flexors which will get you on the run.

I can certainly feel quite a difference between riding on the bars and sitting up, especially when there is a little wind around.

Archived