MTB clipless pedals vs flat pedals

gummibear

I had a bad fall a few weeks back because i couldn’t get my get my cleats out fast enough.Since that i am a little nervous on the bike.

This morning i had another lie down when my wheel slipped in a corner and i couldn't get my cleat out.

I am not a racer and i ride for fun and i am enjoying the technical trails :thumbup:

If i went over to flat pedals will it make me slower?

Will it be harder to climb?

What should i look for in flat pedals and what shoes?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, BTW, I used plain old Shimano flip-over combi pedals. So I can still clip in for non-technical rides, but I don't like the Shimano MTB clip system. It's just until I am better with the technical stuff so I can put my foot out real quick when see an oops coming.

Look Quartz carbon

Not familiar, so don't know if you adjust the tension like in spd's. I have a magic "zone" that feels just right for me and when I get new spd's I always have to fiddle to get them to that spot. Do they have this function?

Not familiar, so don't know if you adjust the tension like in spd's. I have a magic "zone" that feels just right for me and when I get new spd's I always have to fiddle to get them to that spot. Do they have this function?

I can't find any way to adjust it.

Also, I would not suggest those cross-country trainers for long rides though. Their soles are too flexible and they do make your feet hurt after a while in the saddle.

http://mediamusings.dsc.rmit.edu.au/files/2012/10/Beating_a_dead_horse.jpg

This discussion has been played out a bunch of times on the hub.

Here's the summarized version...

• If you go for flats, FiveTens and long pinned pedals. End.of.story.
  • If your technique is correct, and you have the right pedal-shoe combo, you won't slip off your flat pedals
  • If you don't use the benefit of pulling up on your cleats (like me :blush: ), then flats are just as energy efficient.
  • If you want to go to the mall after riding, then flats are better for that.
  • If you want to go to the discotech rather, then use the cleats.

Here is some extra info/observations...

• FiveTens have stiffer soles than skate shoes and cross trainers, so your feet won't fatigue as easily.
  • I did 2/3 Sani stages on flats and felt just fine
  • On the one stage I did use cleats (FiveTen SPDs on CB Mallets), the mallets got so clogged with mud that they were more hassle than they were worth. I wish I wore my flats.
  • Many "cleats only" riders have poor technique when it comes to things like bunny hopping (flame suit on... but true story)

Read this (including the Manifesto PDF).

This man knows what he is talking about. He has trained some of the best riders in the world.

One of my favourite quotes from there:

"Everyday mountain bike riders are told by people at bike shops and trail heads that you can’t pedal nearly as efficiently or effectively without clipless pedals. Plus, every magazine and website you read has countless ads and articles touting clipless pedals and shoes, reinforcing the message that they are essential to mountain biking bad assery."

...and how true it is. A beginner can walk into a bike shop. The sales vultures instantly sell htem a 29er because "it's the best' and walk straight over to the shoe section to sell them some SPD's. I feel that this hinders the beginner's confidence during their early skill development. It also teaches incorrect technique for a lot of essential skills.

Edited by patches

• FiveTens have stiffer soles than skate shoes and cross trainers, so your feet won't fatigue as easily.
  • I did 2/3 Sani stages on flats and felt just fine
  • On the one stage I did use cleats (FiveTen SPDs on CB Mallets), the mallets got so clogged with mud that they were more hassle than they were worth. I wish I wore my flats.
  • Many "cleats only" riders have poor technique when it comes to things like bunny hopping (flame suit on... but true story)

I've read that a few times now - how can there be a poor technique to bunny hopping ?

If you clear the gap or obstacle you doing it right ... :whistling:

I ride clipless FWIW

when i first got clipless pedals, I seriously thought that I'm never gonna get the hang of it. Fell 6 times on the first ride and hated myself for blowing the cash on pedals and shoes...

Needless to say, I maybe have fallen once more after that due to not being able to un-clip. Just stick with it!!!

Guest Omega Man

I've bolded and underlined your problem. Focus on fixing/eradicating that area and you'll be fine.

Edited by Omega Man

I've bolded and underlined your problem. Focus on that area and you'll be fine.

They matched the colour scheme of my bike. I was tricked! hahaha!

when i first got clipless pedals, I seriously thought that I'm never gonna get the hang of it. Fell 6 times on the first ride and hated myself for blowing the cash on pedals and shoes...

Needless to say, I maybe have fallen once more after that due to not being able to un-clip. Just stick with it!!!

I'd say with a certain amount of certainty that Gummi has been riding clips for a looooong time now...