Recovering of saddle - Cape Town

Room Service

Looks good Hairy. But the Velobrien guys had a far more complicated saddle to work with in my case with the center cut out to deal with.

The leather was actually stitched to have a nice finish thru the cut out and around the back.

Stitching was integrated as part of the aesthetic finish.

Looks really trick if you like that sort of thing.

I was worried it would be uncomfortable, but it is every bit as comfortable as the original, if not more so.

Not discrediting a nice custom job, just that this cost me a glass of wine, some contact adhesive, a scrap of leather and a little time.

It has though made me very interested in doing "better work" on future projects.

Recently started cutting lengths of red ox blood leather to make grips and also to recover a saddle in matching leather for the SS .... just need to settle down and get the project done!

• 2 months later...

How thick was the leather you guys used?

Ps. They look blerrie good!

Edited by Pieter1

How thick was the leather you guys used?

Ps. They look blerrie good!

Think of the leather you'd find on a couch or car seats

Not discrediting a nice custom job, just that this cost me a glass of wine, some contact adhesive, a scrap of leather and a little time.

It has though made me very interested in doing "better work" on future projects.

Recently started cutting lengths of red ox blood leather to make grips and also to recover a saddle in matching leather for the SS .... just need to settle down and get the project done!

Are you going to braid it onto the bars, think that would look cool, don't know how comfortable it would be though.

My attempt, thanks to Hairy for the leather

Are you guys stapling the leather edges onto the underside?

Assuming contact glue bonding over the top and then wrapped under and stapled?

My dad recovered my favourite saddle as well for me.

cost me R11 for the leather off cut at a place in cape town cbd, and a bit of his time. that saddle resides on my SS now.

not the same level of workmanship as velobrien's work though. That is stunning work.

cost me R11 for the leather off cut at a place in cape town cbd, and a bit of his time. that saddle resides on my SS now.

not the same level of workmanship as velobrien's work though. That is stunning work.

I remember that saddle from years ago ... that is actually what motivated me to recover one when the time came around.

Another observation is that yourself, Flowta and myself have all used our home covered saddles on SS rides ;)

Another observation is that yourself, Flowta and myself have all used our home covered saddles on SS rides ;)

Because they are waaaaay cooler than anything newly bought from a shop.