Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

162 days and 21 Saffers will be getting a taste of Alpine riding heaven.

My calender says 161days today....

that is 5 months 1 week

or 23 weeks from today

A LOT can happen in that time!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

My calender says 161days today....

that is 5 months 1 week

or 23 weeks from today

A LOT can happen in that time!

Looked at flight prices for our dates. If anyone hasn't booked already I've got some bad news.

Looked at flight prices for our dates. If anyone hasn't booked already I've got some bad news.

Have you looked on Qatar airways? They were substantially cheaper than Emirates when we booked.

Also just 2 weeks ago KLM had flights for approx R7200, but then baggage limit may be an issue.

Guest Omega Man

Have you looked on Qatar airways? They were substantially cheaper than Emirates when we booked.

Also just 2 weeks ago KLM had flights for approx R7200, but then baggage limit may be an issue.

Yeah. I just looked at Emirates.

Guest Omega Man

There's 10 Alps trips in this pic.

From left to right. Duane (me), Vince, Karl, Richard. Ok Richard has done a trip and 2 days...

post-18968-0-69595900-1393575128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omega Man

Guest Omega Man

As luck would have it one of the guys on the 2014 trip is the Cape Town rep for Rocky Mountain, Ion, Race Face and Evoc to name a few.

Expect an announcement on some synergy soon with guys coming on the trips able to take advantage of that relationship.

Right that's it. We are officially fully booked for 2014. 21 plus 2 guides makes it 23 on the http://www.sa-alpine-addiction.co.za/ bus.

We are planning a second trip but that will be centered around Masters Worlds.

Thanks for the response to all the guys that have put their faith in us. For 2015 we are hoping to go even bigger so get saving NOW! We'll be ready for bookings in October. That's only 8 months away people.

Just as a rough estimate.

At the current exchange rate (which is as high as the Shanghai tower at the moment), what would you recon the 2015 trip will cost?

Have to get the right bike as well as get skills up to scratch!

Guest Omega Man

Just as a rough estimate.

At the current exchange rate (which is as high as the Shanghai tower at the moment), what would you recon the 2015 trip will cost?

Have to get the right bike as well as get skills up to scratch!

Cheaper than an entry to the Epic. Haha.

Rough guess 24-26k. The biggest cost is plane tickets and if we book far enough in advance we can mitigate most of the exchange rate agony.

We are going to continue with the 13 nights/12 days on your bike theme as I believe to get full benefit from being over there you need to be there for at least 8 days. Especially if you are a first timer. For the first 5 days it will be a blur of blind runs and trying to figure out where you are and where you want to ride.

For 2015 we're going to do things slightly differently. I have to try as best we can to insulate ourselves against exchange rate fluctuations so the deposit will have to cover the plane ticket as well as the full accommodation cost.

I've got a different chalet lined up which I'm going to check out when we are there in July. It looks a little nicer than the place we are staying at this year with a Jacuzzi and more living area. The downside is it's a little further out of town so I'm going to have to see just how far out it is. Morzine is tiny tho so it should be fine.

As far as the trip goes I really can't put into words just how good it is.

Guest Omega Man

Do Rocky Mountain make nice trail 29'ers?

Gary Barnard is on a Rocky.....

As luck would have it one of the guys on the 2014 trip is the Cape Town rep for Rocky Mountain, Ion, Race Face and Evoc to name a few.

Expect an announcement on some synergy soon with guys coming on the trips able to take advantage of that relationship.

Ooooo, I like that word...synergy... (Synergy = RF 34T N/W....blue would be nice... :whistling: .)

Guest Omega Man

I hope that white stuff is gone by the time we get there. Chavannes yesterday afternoon. Mont Cheri in the background. A ski trip might be in order at some point.

post-18968-0-04291100-1393907698_thumb.jpg

Cheaper than an entry to the Epic. Haha.

Rough guess 24-26k. The biggest cost is plane tickets and if we book far enough in advance we can mitigate most of the exchange rate agony.

We are going to continue with the 13 nights/12 days on your bike theme as I believe to get full benefit from being over there you need to be there for at least 8 days. Especially if you are a first timer. For the first 5 days it will be a blur of blind runs and trying to figure out where you are and where you want to ride.

For 2015 we're going to do things slightly differently. I have to try as best we can to insulate ourselves against exchange rate fluctuations so the deposit will have to cover the plane ticket as well as the full accommodation cost.

I've got a different chalet lined up which I'm going to check out when we are there in July. It looks a little nicer than the place we are staying at this year with a Jacuzzi and more living area. The downside is it's a little further out of town so I'm going to have to see just how far out it is. Morzine is tiny tho so it should be fine.

As far as the trip goes I really can't put into words just how good it is.

Thx for the informative reply Omega.

Have you got any dates in mind for 2015 yet?

I am looking forward to joining you guys, but have to see whether I will be able to get all my things sorted by the time you need deposits. (Bike , skills, moolas :whistling: )

Edited by DubbelBuys

I hope that white stuff is gone by the time we get there. Chavannes yesterday afternoon. Mont Cheri in the background. A ski trip might be in order at some point.

post-18968-0-04291100-1393907698_thumb.jpg

aah, Mont Cheri... the brake boiler!

Guest Omega Man

Thx for the informative reply Omega.

Have you got any dates in mind for 2015 yet?

I am looking forward to joining you guys, but have to see whether I will be able to get all my things sorted by the time you need deposits. (Bike , skills, moolas :whistling: )

What bike do you have now? I'm taking a 160mm bike this year.

Dude seriously. You don't need to be a world cup rider to ride there. I am of moderate skill. And I think I'm being very kind to myself. And I have an absolute BLAST over there. You do need to be smart tho.

Remember it's not only the riding. It's the scenery. The free vertical. The times shared with mates. The beer half way up an Alp at the end of a days riding. The huge distances covered with the aid of ski lifts. It's the 11km roll down from Avoriaz into Morzine after a day in Chatel. The taste of the water in the water troughs. Those tasty little 250ml beers. The trains of riders down Chavannes. Hitting the biggest jump you've ever attempted cos it's built properly and you won't crash. The amazing variety in the bike shops. The burger for lunch at the bottom of Pleney. The soulitide of riding the ski lifts. Your first glimpse of Mont Blanc. The commute trails which are better than the best trails you've ever ridden over here. Spotting a World Champion from the ski lift. And conversely watching Spanish or Japanese tourists ride trails they have no business being on. The watching your heroics or fails from the day from your gopro. The braai at La Sherpa on a Wednesday night. The Mutzig!!!

The whole place is literally custom made for you to have the best time you could possibly have.

Yes the trails are steeper than here. Yes there is almost no jeeptrack riding at all. Yes you can go ride Champery if you want. But you don't have to. There's LOADS of AMAZING riding for all skill levels. All the trails are graded by color and quite honestly the most fun is often to be had on the greens and blues (easier trails)

With a few cheap mods (bigger brake rotors and a little suspension tweakage) you'll be fine.

I'll post up the dates a little later. I need to find them quickly. but in short we've got 5 PDS and 2 Chamonix trips planned for 2015.

Edited by Omega Man