Want to ride your bike in the biggest Mountain Biking area in the world? 2.0

Guest Omega Man

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got myself a Green Mamba in case those lifts fail!

I think you underesimate the size of them hills ;)

Unless that green monster is attached to a 250cc (or larger) 2-stroke, you'll spend the whole morning pushing up, hahaha!

So let's pray that the lift gods favour us!

Its about a 1hour,20mins up the Pleney "Hill" then on the top you can head over to the Chavannes run and drop down to Les Gets ,and back to Morzine,.

A good early morning ride if you want more enduro riding.

The up hill is steep and you most likely will end up walking some sections though.

Guest Omega Man

Its about a 1hour,20mins up the Pleney "Hill" then on the top you can head over to the Chavannes run and drop down to Les Gets ,and back to Morzine,.

A good early morning ride if you want more enduro riding.

The up hill is steep and you most likely will end up walking some sections though.

STOP TALKING HEATHEN!

Guest Omega Man

Got myself a Green Mamba in case those lifts fail!

did you figure out how to un upside down those vids?

Smash a little edit for us there tony. asseblief man. While you're in Saudi. We all know you don't do any actual work there.

Bought the latest MBUK yesterday cos there was an Alps Bikepark guide book inside. Giving tips on the 20 best Bikeparks in Europe.

And what do you know. of the 20 best Bikeparks in Europe 5 are in the PDS.

If decided to visit 2 more EU bike parks before THE trip...are they maybe in that book too?

Bikepark Osternohe and Leogang. :)

Today in 4 weeks time I will be riding (not my bike) in the 1st one mentioned.

Guest Omega Man

If decided to visit 2 more EU bike parks before THE trip...are they maybe in that book too?

Leogang is.

If you gonna be in Austria you might want to do Saalbach/Hinteglem. It's apparently just over the hill from Leogang and accessible using the same lift pass.

Sounds like you're near Munich?

Osternohe is great fun, although it's somewhat on the small side. They only have a Schlepplift so first timers get to embarrass themselves by falling off halfway. Definitely worth a visit if you don't need super-steep terrain.

I have a love-hate relationship with Leogang. It's a great park, but I'm always annoyed by the long lines for the lift and by the lack of trail maintenance. The downhill course feels like one long brake-rut from top to bottom.

Other parks in the area (±3 hours from Munich):

Spicak - Excellent, well maintained and designed trails. Cheap.

Bischofsmais - Great trails, especially the Flow Country. Queues can get a bit long at times.

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis - New park, only opened at the end of last year. Good trails.

Samerberg - Small park, but close to Munich. Good for a few quick runs on a half day off work.

Hopfgarten - A steep, nasty, natural trail. Cheap. Close to Munich. Great fun.

Nordkette - Steep as ****. Rocky as ****. Suicide by bike.

Wagrain - Only been there once. Looked like a nice trail underneath all the mud.

Saalbach - Apparently it's awesome. On my to-do list for the year.

If you're near/in Munich, let me know. We go riding often and there's usually an space in the car and a bike to use.

Just made the final accommodation payment. Toot Toot. Full steam ahead.

I'm making mine this week too :)

(It seems my extra spot in my room might be going to a German. A couple of them might join us for a week.)

Guest Omega Man

I'm making mine this week too :)

(It seems my extra spot in my room might be going to a German. A couple of them might join us for a week.)

Maybe try to pay today? The rate looks better today than it has for a while. If our friends in the ANC get a 2/3rds majority you can be guaranteed the rate will see it's bumhole.

Edited by Omega Man

did you figure out how to un upside down those vids?

Smash a little edit for us there tony. asseblief man. While you're in Saudi. We all know you don't do any actual work there.

Jislaaik broer, there's sooooo much footage! A lot of it is jiggly....that oke shoulda made the Chesty toighter! Edited by capediver

Guest Omega Man

Jislaaik broer, there's sooooo much footage! A lot of it is jiggly....that oke shoulda made the Chesty toighter!

Maybe he had a jiggly chest? :whistling:

With just over 2 1/2 months to go it's time to start looking at earnest at bike setup.

I'm taking a pyga pascoe 140, and the focus for me is more the AM trails, though I hear that even those are super steep, nothing like you get here. So I'm open to advice from OM and other repeat offenders. Apologies if it's been covered before in the previous 76 pages.

Minimum mods required:

1. Jack fork up to 160mm, it's currently set to 140

2. Put on 200mm rotors (or 200f, 180r)

3. Put on some heavy duty DH or freeride tyres.

Questions for the pundits:

1. Brakes are XT, which seem pretty damn good and strong to me, even with normal rotors. Is it good enough to just put on bigger rotors or do you need really 4 pot brakes?

2. Tyres - any suggestions here? Tubeless / tubes, what do people run? I'm thinking Magic Mary super gravity vertstar. 650b options are still quite limited.

3. Shock - is the normal monarch going to hold up? Seems like a pretty good shock, but piggy back shocks like the monarch plus seem to be more the thing to have for alpine type riding.

I'm sure I can take my bike as it is right now and have fun there, but I'd like avoid any obvious deficiencies in the setup, hopefully without spending too much more. Still need to budget for protective gear like pads and a most probably a FF lid. Oh yeah, should I just get one of those there?

Anyway if I feel like I'm missing out because I'm underbiked, can always hire a DH bike for a few days, though I think that's probably unlikely.