Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

have your replaced the BIOS battery yet?

I am going to throw one more Hail Mary at it tonight. Unplug everything, take it to the garage and blow it clean. Redo the heat sink paste on the CPU, re-plug everything after cleaning all the contact pins with IPA and see what happens. Mate has offered a spare PSU to see if that might be the problem. Will also change out the battery and see what happens (A cheap enough test even if it isn't the issue)

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You should have asked here first, I'm sure we could have found you one where they picked a colour... :P

Jokes aside, where did you get that, it's pretty cool.

Got it on takealot yesterday. RRP is 1799, takealot and wootware etc have it for ~1300 normally. Got it for 950 or so.

The current setup is by no means a gaming rig. I bought as high up as I could a few years ago so that I could run 3D drawing software at home and it handled the task at hand just fine. My eldest slowly got into gaming and it has been able to keep up with only the upgrading of GPU's every two or so years. Probably look at going the same route again. Would only be a few rand more than a console if I shop around.

If we switch platforms, it would mean a console purchase as well as a small PC purchase (Seeing as the current one looks like it is FUBAR) I think once you add those two together we are almost into the gaming rig territory...

Probably the biggest question is this: What about the Steam/UPlay/Origin accounts? A lot has been invested into games that the kids play online already. What happens when you change platforms? 

Would changing platforms mean that you now need to go and buy all the games again? Would he be able to still play online with his mates who are on PC's while he is on for example a PS4 or XBox One?

From what I've read, the ability to play across platforms is something some companies are working towards (Microsoft surprise surprise), but others like Sony (Playstation) are dead against it.  Personally I don't think it's something that will take off.

From what I've read, the ability to play across platforms is something some companies are working towards (Microsoft surprise surprise), but others like Sony (Playstation) are dead against it.  Personally I don't think it's something that will take off.

So if you have purchased a game for PC, you are unable to play against someone online who has it on PS4?

Damn... Guess that limits the options then. Already have a fair amount spent on PC games across the already mentioned game sites. 

So if you have purchased a game for PC, you are unable to play against someone online who has it on PS4?

To some extent. There's some indications that you would be able to play against people on XBOX, but unlikely that you could play against someone on PS

The current setup is by no means a gaming rig. I bought as high up as I could a few years ago so that I could run 3D drawing software at home and it handled the task at hand just fine. My eldest slowly got into gaming and it has been able to keep up with only the upgrading of GPU's every two or so years. Probably look at going the same route again. Would only be a few rand more than a console if I shop around.

If we switch platforms, it would mean a console purchase as well as a small PC purchase (Seeing as the current one looks like it is FUBAR) I think once you add those two together we are almost into the gaming rig territory...

Probably the biggest question is this: What about the Steam/UPlay/Origin accounts? A lot has been invested into games that the kids play online already. What happens when you change platforms? 

Would changing platforms mean that you now need to go and buy all the games again? Would he be able to still play online with his mates who are on PC's while he is on for example a PS4 or XBox One?

We have a PS3 at the moment. Have held off on the PS4. Some questions were asked about the XBox One as well at some stage. Could set up a console in the study connected to the existing PC monitor I suppose. 

Options....

Short answer to most of those is no... games you have already bought wont be transferable to console so would need to be purchased again.

You need to pay to play online with console and no he wont be able to play against his friends from the glorious pc gaming master race!

Microsoft tested some cross platform stuff a while back but the console players were getting their asses handed to them by average pc gamers. You really cant compare the accuracy of a mouse to a controller. Im not sure if they will ever get it fully working and how they would handle balancing if they did.

I am in no way biased towards consoles or PC's, I grew up with both, but I thought this was amusing.

pc-vs-console-chips_o_6254897.jpg

Edited by HyruleWarrior80

Just bought myself this little beauty..

http://creativecomputing.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/RD-K55655.png

Great choice. I cheaped out on the red dragon vara. Which isn't bad at all. Nice weight. Rubber feet. and no flex at all. I'm pretty sure MSI and red dragon are sister companies. Many of the products are similar if not identical. Love the pronounced tactile feel of the vara but the keys are super loud. So loud that if I game late at night while the wife is trying to sleep she tells me to shut my door. And our bedroom is a good 10-15 metres away from my office. They're not genuine cherry mx switches so I assume they're in house mech switches to meet a price point. It should be said though that I had mine now for a few months and one of the lights on my keys have gone out. No biggie. Still under warranty so would probably send it back before it expires.

I am in now way biased towards consoles or PC's, I grew up with both, but I thought this was amusing.

We're actually finally at a point where trying to choose between a console and a gaming pc isn't as easy as it use to be. Maybe a year or two back Gaming PC's offered far better value in terms of performance to price. But the Xbox one X is going to change that. For the proposed price of $500 and the promise of native 4k gaming at 60 fps I might just buy one. Try building a gaming pc that can push out 60fps in 4k for under $500.

I am in no way biased towards consoles or PC's, I grew up with both, but I thought this was amusing.

3745858.jpg

http://cdn.duelinganalogs.com/comics/2011-07-22.png

Are you posting from your console that we can't see anything..? :P

We're actually finally at a point where trying to choose between a console and a gaming pc isn't as easy as it use to be. Maybe a year or two back Gaming PC's offered far better value in terms of performance to price. But the Xbox one X is going to change that. For the proposed price of $500 and the promise of native 4k gaming at 60 fps I might just buy one. Try building a gaming pc that can push out 60fps in 4k for under $500.

Yip, consoles have come a long way.