A question for the roadies on thehub

kingalton

Hi Guys (and Gals)

Just a question re group road training rides.

When riding 2 abreast in a long line, I understand it to be etiquette to stay behind the wheel in front of you. You ride 2 people, handle bar to handle bar, shoulder to shoulder in a long line. Sticking as close to the wheel in front of you..

You get people(riding next to you in the line) who force their way right in between the 2 riders in front of them overlapping their wheel with the guys in front of you and basically force you out of the line and into the wind. You also get forced out further into the road, which is risky as you get pushed out into traffic.

It isn’t a race with road closure, where the group can ride a line across the road away from the wind, you gotta stick to the line.

They are basically “stealing” all the protection for themselves, By almost riding with their brakes up against the 2 seats in front of them.

Am I correct in saying this is selfish and isn’t the right thing to do?

Maybe I am wrong and I just don’t understand the etiquette, but the way I see it, we all need to be in position in the peloton.

Especially on a training ride, it’s not a race where people are jostling for position.

your thoughts?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You ride in single file seeing other traffic is involved - right thing to do.

You pass when it is safe to do so and fall into single line again.

Ya I know I'm going to get grilled.

But you asked.

Edited by porqui

Guest Oom Kalahari!

The problem is you are riding two abreast. Illegal not advised

Ride single file!

Edited by Oom Kalahari!

The problem is you are riding two abreast. Illegal not advised

Ride single file!

40-50 people riding together isnt going to work single file...

Guest Oom Kalahari!

I dont make the rules...

If you guys risk it... and ride 2abreast in that kind of numbers then there must also be sufficient communication/organisation/rules and so forth to prevent accidents... because one will happen I can promise you (taking into account you original complaint)

Hi Guys (and Gals)

Just a question re group road training rides.

When riding 2 abreast in a long line, I understand it to be etiquette to stay behind the wheel in front of you. You ride 2 people, handle bar to handle bar, shoulder to shoulder in a long line. Sticking as close to the wheel in front of you..

You get people(riding next to you in the line) who force their way right in between the 2 riders in front of them overlapping their wheel with the guys in front of you and basically force you out of the line and into the wind. You also get forced out further into the road, which is risky as you get pushed out into traffic.

It isn’t a race with road closure, where the group can ride a line across the road away from the wind, you gotta stick to the line.

They are basically “stealing” all the protection for themselves, By almost riding with their brakes up against the 2 seats in front of them.

Am I correct in saying this is selfish and isn’t the right thing to do?

Maybe I am wrong and I just don’t understand the etiquette, but the way I see it, we all need to be in position in the peloton.

Especially on a training ride, it’s not a race where people are jostling for position.

your thoughts?

It is extremely selfish, or maybe it is somebody not well versed in the art of group riding

And then you wonder why motorists get bedonderd with cyclists - how the hell do you safely pass a group of 40-50 cyclists and then not just one group. How much patience do you have to stay behind such a group for an extended period of time.

Sal jou moer nie sommer so strip nie???

And thats when all safety precautions go out the window.

Just then one of the cyclists sticks up his finger - the wrong one!!

Edited by porqui

And then you wonder why motorists get bedonderd with cyclists - how the hell do you safely pass a group of 40-50 cyclists and then not just one group. How much patience do you have to stay behind such a group for an extended period of time.

Sal jou moer nie sommer so strip nie???

And thats when all safety precautions go out the window.

Just then one of the cyclists sticks up his finger - the wrong one!!

so you think a 50 cyclist long line is safer than a 2x 25 cyclist line, its still difficult to pass a single cyclist, image it was over a 100m of cyslists?

but i am not asking that question, i am asking the question about etiquette in the group, not here to debate the rules of the road

It is extremely selfish, or maybe it is somebody not well versed in the art of group riding

thanks, it happened on Saturday morning and i asked the guy nicely to please stick to the wheel in front of him, so that i can stick the wheel in front of me..

but he was rather rude in his reply and didnt seem to agree with me.. saying it was his line to ride..

I decided to be calm (after a few colorfull words to myself) and eventually he moved further back - i am sure to p!ss someone else off..

The thecnical bit is that two ridesr should never be staying next to each other - the one line should always be passing and the other one should be falling back (clockwise or anti).The idea is the very front rider should ride hard for say a minute and when he tires he joins the retreating line and the next rider in the passing line takes over. So your offending rider did not know what line he was in. This way all rider get a chance to work and to rest - an absolute pleasure when it happens.

This kind of riding seldom happens and confusion reigns

Edited by porqui

I will be amaze balled if this thread stays on topic and not fall into a roadie vs car vs 100 opinions on the matter.

Ha ha - Lets hope it stays on track - but this is thehub afterall ;-)

Guys please - I know everyone has an opinion on the subject of road riding in the traffic, but if we could stick to the topic, it would be swell :thumbup: :thumbup: tnx

Guest Oom Kalahari!
I will be amaze balled if this thread stays on topic and not fall into a roadie vs car vs 100 opinions on the matter.

Ya I know right... cause ALL the MTB threads stay on topic!

We have a guy like that who cycles in our club. He does the exact same thing. He did it to me once and now if i see him coming up alongside me i just move over a tiny bit and take up a bit of the space he usually goes into. It is a pain in the @ss though. Some of them just don't learn.