2013 Specialized Epic Comp 29 OR 2013 Scott Spark 940

MTB_FAN

Looking to buy a new bike and iam in two minds at the moment. Do I go for the Epic Comp or the Scott?? The scott will be about R4000 cheaper but do I look past that??

Thanks!!

Edited by nagelmorne

The Spez will be a way better ride BUT you also need to factor in maintenance. The suspension service on the Spez is easily R 1000 more per service. And don't think that you can get away with servicing it less frequently to save because you don't save at all, one of the guys I ride with had to fork out R 7000 to service and fix at the last service because he rode so long without servicing.

Edited by Helpmytrap

I preferred the twinloc on the Scott to the Brain Shock on the Spez (having owned both). That being said you have to take into account the DT swiss rear shock will most probably fail as some stage (don't know if the solved this problem yet). I would go for the Scott and upgrade the wheels to AM or ZTR. The Scott will probably be about 1kg lighter (if not more) with better wheels for the same price.

I have never ridden the Specialized but got myself the Scott Spark 940 in March. I have only done about 400km's on it but from my experience it is a great bike and good value for money.

The best would be however to test ride both and choose the one you feel most comfortable with.

Happy shopping!

I know there have been problems in the past with the Scott rear shock but as far as I know they have fixed it on the 2013 models.

Buy a Giant anthem instead .No expensive sevicing and good shocks all round .Alu models are only slightly heavier than carbon scott

I have a 2012 Spark 30 and the rear shock collapsed after 3 months replaced it with a Fox CTD and been loving it since. I have been looking at an Epic for next year but have to say after some research the maintenance really seem to be pricey rather looking at the new Scott spark 700 range coming out next yer using the 650B wheels.

Scott did replace the DT swiss shock under warranty so no problems with their after sales service.

Edited by DPLot

I bought an Epic comp last week, it's just ready to ride off the shop floor. No need to throw away the skinny 135mm saddle like the Giant or Scott for example. The double crank gearing is perfect while the 940 has a triple. The anthem is very stable but slow speed handling can't match the Epic with shorter stays. I just don't find a compromise with the Spez.

For me Scott lockout makes no sense. When do you lock out? Not on a rocky climb because you need the traction so why call it climb mode? The brain will open and shut many times on that climb. When you're riding a short course and want to accelerate the brain is ready to go.

Plus the Epic is red, what more do you need.

BTW, read the reviews. Any lockout is the sign of a lousy suspension design. Dynamic lockouts are much more complex, so activation is much finer and more detailed, as per Specialized? Scott's reputation for reliability is not the best, from their inception through their pull shocks to their pretzel wheels. See their whole gamut of well priced and great value ( on paper) rides, but how many upgrades later to get it to a good place.

Scott's market position is " cheaper than Specialized"

As Forest Gump said " Stupid is as Stupid Does...."

The epic comp dose not have the "brain" on the front shock its only available from the expert carbon so i would not consider it a deciding factor.

Guest Route62mtb

I got my Specialized Comp a month ago and LOVE it. And nothing I really need or want to change is a great bike as is.