Jozi Audax 2013 2.0

Speed Racer

typical... my first audax ride and I chose the hardest!! :eek: well certainly it can only get easier... had a lot of fun though but would have been nicer if there was more people (finished in 7 1/2 hours, my butt is still not talking to me) :unsure:

Well done! What kit were you wearing? I'm guessing you were in the grupetto that left with us from Pelindaba?

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to see that there is a lot of new people doing the audax series. I did it back in 2007 and wasn't very popular. Although I had great fun. We were about 12 to 16 people that went to do the PBP.

Awesome. Looking to do my first PBP in 2015. How did you find it?

Sorry to hear about this. You okay? What happened?

Yes on the mend now did D2D today which was first time on the bike since 2 weeks ago when I got hit.

Little bit of discomfort still but totally bearable.

Got hit by a Taxi on Oxford Road.

He ran into be from behind.

I felt the 2 weeks off the bike today at the D2D suffered nicely :mellow:

Edited by crasher

Yes on the mend now did D2D today which was first time on the bike since 2 weeks ago when I got hit.

Little bit of discomfort still but totally bearable.

Got hit by a Taxi on Oxford Road.

He ran into be from behind.

I felt the 2 weeks off the bike today at the D2D suffered nicely :mellow:

Hectic, mate. Glad it wasn't too serious. Also did D2D today. Tough ride!

I was 18 when I did PBP it was good but I did it with a fellow south African and we went to slow for my liking but I got told it still a long way. Then we did not plan our sleep very well and got very tired,but what made our time so slow was the rain. it rained 80% of the time I was riding. we stopped a lot to see if the rain will pass.But never did. Just plan your sleep well do 300km then sleep 4 hours and repeat. it will help I didn't do it and started to fall asleep on the bike...

How are you going to carry all your stuff? I used a carrier on the back of my bike. Also ruck sack but it killed my back and all I had in it was extra kit and fruit. All and all it was o good experience.

I was 18 when I did PBP it was good but I did it with a fellow south African and we went to slow for my liking but I got told it still a long way. Then we did not plan our sleep very well and got very tired,but what made our time so slow was the rain. it rained 80% of the time I was riding. we stopped a lot to see if the rain will pass.But never did. Just plan your sleep well do 300km then sleep 4 hours and repeat. it will help I didn't do it and started to fall asleep on the bike...

How are you going to carry all your stuff? I used a carrier on the back of my bike. Also ruck sack but it killed my back and all I had in it was extra kit and fruit. All and all it was o good experience.

Thanks, ffff. Going to carry gear in Toppeak carrier gear bag, with water proof cover. Heard horror stories about the rain water logging gear and driving up the weight.

Sleeping plan sounds spot on. 9 hours of sleeping. 81 hours of riding at 15 km/h. Hoping to average more like 20 km/h. What was your time?

Because of all the unplanned stoppes to see if the rain will leave us. It was 88:05 16km/h avr. I wanted to do it atleast in 80hours. I also used the topeak.

They say it was the worst weather france had in 15 years.that was in 2007

Because of all the unplanned stoppes to see if the rain will leave us. It was 88:05 16km/h avr. I wanted to do it atleast in 80hours. I also used the topeak.

They say it was the worst weather france had in 15 years.that was in 2007

Well done! A stunning achievement.

Awesome. Looking to do my first PBP in 2015. How did you find it?

Also starting to think towards PBP 2015. LEL was very much a "proving ride" for me - thoroughly enjoyed it, and now the aches and injuries are diminished the inspiration of PBP remains. Hope to see you and some of the other SA Audaxers there, or at the qualifiers on the way there. We must get that SA 1,000km pre-qualifier sorted to give us all the earliest crack at entry!

Edited by walkerr

Also starting to think towards PBP 2015. LEL was very much a "proving ride" for me - thoroughly enjoyed it, and now the aches and injuries are diminished the inspiration of PBP remains. Hope to see you and some of the other SA Audaxers there, or at the qualifiers on the way there. We must get that SA 1,000km pre-qualifier sorted to give us all the earliest crack at entry!

Awesome. What time you looking at?

Eddie is currently riding from John O' Groats to Land's End, with Denis. He'll be back by month end. Will check on the date of the 1000.

You joining us for the 600 in November?

Eddie is currently riding from John O' Groats to Land's End, with Denis. He'll be back by month end. Will check on the date of the 1000.

Assuming I qualify and get a spot, I'll be taking very much the same "full value" ride approach I did for LEL i.e. anything under the time limit is fine, priority being to enjoy myself as much as possible and survive if or when it gets tough. I'm more tortoise than hare ;)

I'm definitely keen to get a pre-1000 or pre-600 in between now and next July/Aug when we entrer the qualifier 12 month period to get an option on that earlier entry spot. Do you think there'll be another 600 planned into next year? November is already maxed out with DC team training, and a trip overseas, so def won't be able to make it up for that one.

I'm hoping to to catch up with Grant when he moves down here - see if we can organise some Western Cape qualifiers as I think was done for 2011. It struck me we could be clever on the timing of these - so each group could act as a fallback to the other. Anyone who misses or fails their local one has an option to travel north or south for one in the other set.

Having seen how amazing LEL was - it struck me how superb it could be to have a South African 1,000 that grew to attract overseas rides. I even wondered if it were timed around Argus time, then overseas riders would have a double reason to come and ride our amazing scenery. Crazy dream I know!

Note that I have zero idea what is involved in organising these - so feel free to treat me as a willing and enthusiastic idiot!

Edited by walkerr

Assuming I qualify and get a spot, I'll be taking very much the same "full value" ride approach I did for LEL i.e. anything under the time limit is fine, priority being to enjoy myself as much as possible and survive if or when it gets tough. I'm more tortoise than hare ;)

I'm definitely keen to get a pre-1000 or pre-600 in between now and next July/Aug when we entrer the qualifier 12 month period to get an option on that earlier entry spot. Do you think there'll be another 600 planned into next year? November is already maxed out with DC team training, and a trip overseas, so def won't be able to make it up for that one.

I'm hoping to to catch up with Grant when he moves down here - see if we can organise some Western Cape qualifiers as I think was done for 2011. It struck me we could be clever on the timing of these - so each group could act as a fallback to the other. Anyone who misses or fails their local one has an option to travel north or south for one in the other set.

Having seen how amazing LEL was - it struck me how superb it could be to have a South African 1,000 that grew to attract overseas rides. I even wondered if it were timed around Argus time, then overseas riders would have a double reason to come and ride our amazing scenery. Crazy dream I know!

Note that I have zero idea what is involved in organising these - so feel free to treat me as a willing and enthusiastic idiot!

I think there's a good chance of two 600s next year to facilitate qualifying.

As keen as I am on a 1000km event, the major issue in growing it will be lack of interest. I think the 600 in Cape Town before PBP 2011 only attracted four riders. Our 600km event in November is unlikely to attract more than 5-10 riders.

The other issue is quality of roads. We recently rode from Jozi to Ballito, and had to put the bikes onto the trailer on two section which were too dangerous to ride owing to roadworks. Even in and around Jo'burg itself its hard to find a safe 200km route, never mind further distances.

Great idea to not schedule rides from the North and South at the same time to facilitate qualification.

Hoping to get clarity on next years programme on Eddie's return.

I think there's a good chance of two 600s next year to facilitate qualifying.

As keen as I am on a 1000km event, the major issue in growing it will be lack of interest. I think the 600 in Cape Town before PBP 2011 only attracted four riders. Our 600km event in November is unlikely to attract more than 5-10 riders.

The other issue is quality of roads. We recently rode from Jozi to Ballito, and had to put the bikes onto the trailer on two section which were too dangerous to ride owing to roadworks. Even in and around Jo'burg itself its hard to find a safe 200km route, never mind further distances.

Great idea to not schedule rides from the North and South at the same time to facilitate qualification.

Hoping to get clarity on next years programme on Eddie's return.

Cool - look forward to catching up as things take shape,

Any of you keen on going for Super Randonneur (riding a 200, 300, 400, and 600km series of events in a calendar year) status in 2013?

We're looking at the following schedule:

September 200

October 300

November 400

December 600/200

Let me know if you're keen.

The 1000km event will be timed so that it can serve as a qualifier for PBP 2015, and will take place sometime between November 2014 and June 2015.