Jozi Audax 2013 2.0

Speed Racer

+1 regarding advice! A bit of a nuubie regarding this event.

Also I know its not a race but what is the average speed?

Expected time of finish?

Hi Stiggy, jcza is correct in saying that groups form, depending in speed, but to give you a better idea in numbers...(from what I know!!)

Front guys normally ride at ± 30-35 kph, and with the stoppages this results to an avg just below 30.

Then second group normally rides at 25-28 and with the stoppages results to an avg of about 23.

And then you get the riders who rides < 20, and normally ride alone or in very small groups.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah thanks for the heads up!

Looks like its going to be an interesting day out!

Looking forward to the challenge

• 2 weeks later...

I'm struggling to understand the route sheet for the 400km on 15/12/2013. So I've made maps: Part 1 Part 2

P.S. The greatest thing about the new website: entry form. No more print, fill in with pen, and scan business.

Edited by garyvdm

I'm struggling to understand the route sheet for the 400km on 15/12/2013. So I've made maps: Part 1 Part 2

P.S. The greatest thing about the new website: entry form. No more print, fill in with pen, and scan business.

Are there other distances than the 400 on Sunday?

Last Sunday saw the final Audax ride of the year, a 400km ride involving two 200km loops starting and finishing from the art deco home of cycling in the South, the Lido Hotel.

It was a tough day with a savage headwind from Devon back to Alberton trying to break our spirits. On the second lap, this same wind blew us almost all the way back into the Free State. As night was falling we were 100km from home. The field had been depleted, with four of us heading back. After an endless last few hours, we rode into the Lido at 2200, on Sunday night.

My figures: 20 hours on the road, 16h30 ride time, 12500 cal, 24km/h.

Well done to all participants.

Congratulations to Michelle Gahan, Nigel Grey, Nico Coetzee and Ernest Stipp who all reached Super Randonneur (200, 300, 400 and 600km events in one year) status in 2013.

Last Sunday saw the final Audax ride of the year, a 400km ride involving two 200km loops starting and finishing from the art deco home of cycling in the South, the Lido Hotel.

It was a tough day with a savage headwind from Devon back to Alberton trying to break our spirits. On the second lap, this same wind blew us almost all the way back into the Free State. As night was falling we were 100km from home. The field had been depleted, with four of us heading back. After an endless last few hours, we rode into the Lido at 2200, on Sunday night.

Congratulations to Michelle Gahan, Nigel Grey, Nico Coetzee and Ernest Stipp who all reached Super Randonneur (200, 300, 400 and 600km events in one year) status in 2013.

That is an incredible achievement! Well done to them

Well done sounded like a tough day out on the bike

Well done - and congrats to the folks notching up their 2013 SR.

Well done Speed Racer, see you next year!

If anyone is looking for an "added challenge" next year, I met a guy on LEL who was doing an RRTY (Randonneur Round The Year). You need to do a minimum of a 200km brevet every month of the year for 12 months. Doesn't have to be a calendar year, can start in any month but must be 12 consecutive months. Any brevet can count (qualfiiers, LEL, PBP etc) and even DIY/Perms:

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/rrty.htm

It's obviously a Audax UK thing - but could be an interesting addition to the SA challenges. Who knows, maybe the UK guys who does it would offer to widen his register of completers to global riders.

If anyone is looking for an "added challenge" next year, I met a guy on LEL who was doing an RRTY (Randonneur Round The Year). You need to do a minimum of a 200km brevet every month of the year for 12 months. Doesn't have to be a calendar year, can start in any month but must be 12 consecutive months. Any brevet can count (qualfiiers, LEL, PBP etc) and even DIY/Perms:

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/rrty.htm

It's obviously a Audax UK thing - but could be an interesting addition to the SA challenges. Who knows, maybe the UK guys who does it would offer to widen his register of completers to global riders.

I'm keen for 2014. Almost got there this year, with 8 official Audax rides of 200km or more completed, and 5 additional rides of over 200km completed.

I'm keen for 2014. Almost got there this year, with 8 official Audax rides of 200km or more completed, and 5 additional rides of over 200km completed.

Nice job - well done!

• 3 weeks later...