ECG and Athletes Heart Syndrome

I had an ECG yesterday as part of a set of tests to try and track down the reasons for recurring chest infections.

The ECG showed some anomalies and the doc has sent me off to get an angiogram, which is a little worrying.

I have no heart disease symptoms, low cholestrol (4.4) and ride more than 12000 km/y and just over 10 hours per week, but I would not consider myself an elite athlete, but do have a 2:53 Argus. I am 47.

I could have athletes heart syndrome (angiogram will tell), which is nothing to worry about. Many endurance athletes do develope this and the ECG readings are similar to heart disease.

Anybody else who is relatively fit had an anomalous ECG test?

P.S. if your resting heart rate is below 60, then an ECG test will red flag you ;>)

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an ECG yesterday as part of a set of tests to try and track down the reasons for recurring chest infections.

The ECG showed some anomalies and the doc has sent me off to get an angiogram, which is a little worrying.

I have no heart disease symptoms, low cholestrol (4.4) and ride more than 12000 km/y and just over 10 hours per week, but I would not consider myself an elite athlete, but do have a 2:53 Argus. I am 47.

I could have athletes heart syndrome (angiogram will tell), which is nothing to worry about. Many endurance athletes do develope this and the ECG readings are similar to heart disease.

Anybody else who is relatively fit had an anomalous ECG test?

P.S. if your resting heart rate is below 60, then an ECG test will red flag you ;>)

An ECG for what presents as a lung infection.... and an Angiogram.... ????

If I was in your position I would get a new medical team.... lickety split.... unless there is something they are not telling you.

An ECG for what presents as a lung infection.... and an Angiogram.... ????

If I was in your position I would get a new medical team.... lickety split.... unless there is something they are not telling you.

ECG would be good practice to test for for anyone who is battling with their health for unknown reasons - or even just as part of a comprehensive medical. The OP then said the ECG flagged an issue that had him referred for an Angiogram...

There was another thread about 2 weeks ago discussing Athletic Heart Syndrome.

I am going to have an Ablation done next month. I am tired of having my heart rate sit at 220 when climbing in a race!!

ECG would be good practice to test for for anyone who is battling with their health for unknown reasons - or even just as part of a comprehensive medical. The OP then said the ECG flagged an issue that had him referred for an Angiogram...

Medically I would take care questioning the V12Man, ;-)

I got lucky, had a "heart attack" (Combination Pericarditis and Myocarditis) @ age 19 and although left with scarring on both the heart and pericardium after 5 years of checkups I was finally let off the hook.

However, as a chronic bronchitis (read: chest infection) sufferer my downfall has been Mr Marlboro (flame suit status: ON - its in my 6 month goals list), the only thing that has helped so far this year has been the Beriglobin shot, it was the first time in as long as I remember that my "head cold" did not turn into 10 days penicillin.

Edit: Wasn't finished

Edited by Bobbo_SA

just re-read ^^^^ and realized that point 1 and point 2 seem unrelated. What I was getting at was at no time in the last 10 years of multiple chest infections have any of the docs eluded to it being connected to a possible heart condition.

I seem to be suffering from fatigue similar to overtraining, but it does not seem to improve with rest. Also dont sleep well and wake up tired.

Thought ongoing chest infections could be partially responsible, but getting thyroid checked as well as other possibilities, which included the ECG.

Doc who did the test is an endoctrinolgist, and cardiologist has booked the test without actually seeing the ECG graphs.

At the end of the day, I dont think there is a problem, but rather than worry I guess its best just to do the "gold standard test" and know once and forall?

I seem to be suffering from fatigue similar to overtraining, but it does not seem to improve with rest. Also dont sleep well and wake up tired.

Thought ongoing chest infections could be partially responsible, but getting thyroid checked as well as other possibilities, which included the ECG.

Doc who did the test is an endoctrinolgist, and cardiologist has booked the test without actually seeing the ECG graphs.

At the end of the day, I dont think there is a problem, but rather than worry I guess its best just to do the "gold standard test" and know once and forall?

Ahh, more to the story, :-) - 100% agree rather let them check it out an find the cause, although sometime I wonder if they ever do seeing as most of them keep practicing on us... :ph34r:

Just remember 1 thing - an angiogram is an invasive test - with an associated mortality (low, but it exists) and I can think of at least 10 other non invasive tests to do before an angiogram if you have a suspected heart condition - and I would be interested to see why they have jumped straight to an angiogram (what other tests have they done?) - they must suspect some level of coronary artery disease (angiograms are good at finding that)... and you could do that off an ECG to some extent - but one done by a competent cardiologist, not an endocrinologist (no disrespect to endocrinologists at all).. I know how difficult it is to interpret those things sometimes, and I would never completely trust my own judgement on one of them - not even for myself - and I trust my judgement a LOT.

That said - some of the newer imaging technologies to visualise the heart is absolutely astounding, and probably largely eliminates a lot of invasive testing - that would be my first point of call personally.

After my annual physical including ECGs a couple of years ago, the doctor called me up to discuss my enlarged heart (he was new then). When I explained the kind and amount of riding I was doing he was quite happy with the situation. At the time I was a few years older than you are now and about 10 minutes slower in the Argus.

As to the chest infections, I noticed a pattern in my logbook of bronchitis at a certain time of year (July). It was always treated as a development of a cold or the flu. Turns out it was actually an allergic reaction to house dust mite, which is apparently prevalent during winter. So now I spray Nasacor year round (until the condition is under control) instead of just in spring.

Medically I would take care questioning the V12Man, ;-)

No doubt. my point was the ECG itself is by no means an unusual test to be conducted, ( I have one every couple of years). Yes Angiogram is more hectic and one would not do one straight off for a schest infection - but that is not what the OP stated... (he said that anomolies identified here resulted in a angio referral... )

Anyway subsequent info that cardiologist has not actually looked at ECG I would agree maybe the angiogram is jumping the gun. My cardilogist uses an ultrasound to view the heart and arteries and seems to me this is a better first step.

Edited by dracs

Thanks all.

Agree angio seems to be jumping the gun. Appreciate all the advice. I will ask cardiologist for more info.

As to the chest infections, I noticed a pattern in my logbook of bronchitis at a certain time of year (July). It was always treated as a development of a cold or the flu. Turns out it was actually an allergic reaction to house dust mite, which is apparently prevalent during winter. So now I spray Nasacor year round (until the condition is under control) instead of just in spring.

Interesting observation, and whilst on this point... I will NEVER ever use another Mozi mat / liquid machine (you know, those plug in types) ever again! I delayed it in summer and all was going well until one day I found one in the bottom of the kitchen cupboard and though that I may as well plug it in.... 2 nights and both myself and my wife had a sore throat which quickly escalated into blocked noses etc, turned it off and dumped it in the bin.

Just remember 1 thing - an angiogram is an invasive test - with an associated mortality (low, but it exists) and I can think of at least 10 other non invasive tests to do before an angiogram if you have a suspected heart condition - and I would be interested to see why they have jumped straight to an angiogram (what other tests have they done?) - they must suspect some level of coronary artery disease (angiograms are good at finding that)... and you could do that off an ECG to some extent - but one done by a competent cardiologist, not an endocrinologist (no disrespect to endocrinologists at all).. I know how difficult it is to interpret those things sometimes, and I would never completely trust my own judgement on one of them - not even for myself - and I trust my judgement a LOT.

That said - some of the newer imaging technologies to visualise the heart is absolutely astounding, and probably largely eliminates a lot of invasive testing - that would be my first point of call personally.

They have done no other tests! Only endoctrinologist has seen the ECG graphs and has said they could be as the result of an athletic heart.

On the basis of his discussion with cardiologist they booked an angiogram. This sounds way over the top as I exhibit no heart disease symptoms.

Panicking a bit now. Doctors all gone home for the weekend, but hopefully I can get them to explain Monday morning why they cant use some of the more advanced imaging technologies you refer to.

Please tell me you had a stress ECG or at least a echo BEFORE you are having a angio.Who did you see by the way?