Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Yes, it would. Not sure as to how long to put the light on for, but it's the same general procedure as biltong - just slightly longer as Pancetta is a thicker slab of meat. 

Thanks.......

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went to Crown in modderfontein and bought some Prague Powder... All I could find is the Prague Powder #2(has Sodium Nitrate & Sodium Nitrite) which is for dry curing, I was also looking for Prague powder #1 for a wet cure as I would like to make my own Corned beef and Pastrami.

@ Myles have your made corned beef or Pastrami?

O my Pancetta is curing in the fridge and will be hung on Saturday Morning....

Edited by Stiglitz86

So I went to Crown in modderfontein and bought some Prague Powder... All I could find is the Prague Powder #2(has Sodium Nitrate & Sodium Nitrite) which is for dry curing, I was also looking for Prague powder #1 for a wet cure as I would like to make my own Corned beef and Pastrami.

No, not as of yet, Stig. It's on my to do list, but way at the bottom. 

What mass did you get? The issue that I have is that I could get only a 5kg bag of pink salt and I only need n little bit.

What mass did you get? The issue that I have is that I could get only a 5kg bag of pink salt and I only need n little bit.

2kg like Myles - R 25 rondellas..... Gonna last me years.... I need to go back and look for the Prague powder #1 though....(I hate their shop, always walk out with more than what I intended)...

2kg like Myles - R 25 rondellas..... Gonna last me years.... I need to go back and look for the Prague powder #1 though....(I hate their shop, always walk out with more than what I intended)...

That shop is lekker. First time I went there I was convinced I was not in the right spot. It is very well concealed. I buy their biltong spice and it also lasts LONG time. I sommer use it for braaing as well.

That shop is lekker. First time I went there I was convinced I was not in the right spot. It is very well concealed. I buy their biltong spice and it also lasts LONG time. I sommer use it for braaing as well.

their biltong spice is lovely. Used it on a steak this weekend. Sprinkled (okay, poured) it on to the steak and then left covered in the fridge for 4 days prior to the braai. 

Beautiful. 

their biltong spice is lovely. Used it on a steak this weekend. Sprinkled (okay, poured) it on to the steak and then left covered in the fridge for 4 days prior to the braai. 

Beautiful. 

I made a mix of the safari mix and chilli bites. Love it. Pity I don't get to make biltong as much as i'd like. Must actually just pull my finger and do it. My wife was pestering me this week for some. Will go get some silverside asap.

I made a mix of the safari mix and chilli bites. Love it. Pity I don't get to make biltong as much as i'd like. Must actually just pull my finger and do it. My wife was pestering me this week for some. Will go get some silverside asap.

Me too! Will dust off the biltong maker this arfie and try get a batch done for my son to take back to school with him next week.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Myles & Frankie - my cured pork belly has been in my biltong dryer for almost 2 weeks now(tomorrow will be 2 weeks exactly),I have however noticed a little bit of white colouration on one or two edges, its not slimy or powdery. It looks like the white that appears on biltong if you have over salted it and dried it out for to long(Really dry over salted biltong).

Anyclue as to the cause of this, is this safe, it looks dry or has the meat spoilt? Your input is greatly appreciated....

Edited by Stiglitz86