Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Hi Hubbers.

I love spending time in the kitchen.

I have a feeling I am not the only foodie here.

So I thought if we had a thread we could use to inspire and share ideas, that would be great.

so I will kick it off.

Tonight for dinner is a roast sirloin with Pomegranate reduction and roast seasonal veg.

My tip...I made the Pomegranate reduction by taking 1.5Litres of pomegranate juice (I used the Sir Juice Brand) and reducing it over a medium heat until the mixture was a honey like consistency. Take a old All gold squeeze bottle and clean it out nicely and put your sauce in it...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lekker dude! The other day I made a weber chicken. Lifted the skin and put bacon bits with lemon rind, rosmary, garlic and origanum under the skin (tip: if you tear the skin you can frankenstein it with toothpicks) then I rubbed olive oil and chicken spice over the skin and cooked until crispy! Was so good when it touched the lips!

The only reason I taught myself to cook is so that I know what I am talking about when criticizing my wife's cooking...

wifes cooking? ........

Nice thread Wayne

I made a quick soup from a friends recipe.

Take a whole chicken, with some chopped carrots, an onion, celery and add some seasoning.

Slow boil /simmer for about 90mins to 2hrs.

Remove the chicken (which shuold be falling off the bone)

Strip the meat off and throw the bones back in for a little bit and boil some more.

Strain all the incredients for the broth and then add some fresh diced carrots, some thinly sliced celery and book until those are soft.

Throw pieces of chicken meat back in

Boil some noodle seperately and add directly to the soup mix

Makes enought for about 5 servings

Edited by JGR

Use olive oil when making a white sauce. Ad a small amount of butter and the end result will still have oil (fat) in it but much more healthy. Use very little oil (one teaspoon) when baking eggs, mushrooms or onions. Add a little bit of water, the steam disperses the oil and coats everything.

Guest Latent Blue

Just made some gluwein... extremely easy...

Throw all in a pot:::

1L red wine (any)

1 tsp cloves.

1 stick cinnamon

2 bay leaves

Juice of 2 oranges

Dash of lemon juice

Sugar to taste

Heat till the boil

Enjoy!

Fillet ala rouxtjie

Prepare fillet by trimming excess sinew and fat

Rub with herbs and spices of choice, lots of black pepper

Lightly rub with virgin olive oil and pistachio nuts that have been crushed

Empty 1 container of cream in a small pot you don't mind sitting on braai grid

Seal fillet on braai, start reducing cream in pot on other side of the fire

Continuously dip fillet in cream and put back on grid. Repeat until all the cream is gone

Rest meat for 6 min

Serve side salad, baked baby potatoes with garlic butter

Just made some gluwein... extremely easy...

Throw all in a pot:::

1L red wine (any)

1 tsp cloves.

1 stick cinnamon

2 bay leaves

Juice of 2 oranges

Dash of lemon juice

Sugar to taste

Heat till the boil

Enjoy!

I'll take you a step further- (if you didn't know this already)

Don't add the sugar- instead try weigh the sugar, well the amount you would have used-

Get a Metal Sieve- and place that over the pot so the Liquid is NOT touching the bottom of the sieve. now place the same weight of sugar in the sieve- BUT using sugar blocks/lumps. Not granular sugar.

Now pour STROH rum on the sugar and light it, this must be done fairly quickly so the rum does not run into the wine- then stand by with the rum and add the rum keeping the flame burning- teaspoon at a time... keep covering the sugar until it all melts... as the flame melts the sugar the alcohol evaporates and you are left with the rum taste and sugar dripping into your wine adding that touch of excellence....

if you make this over a camp fire... even better....

Braised Pig Cheeks-

Two pig cheeks, trimmed properly! cut in half. Braise in HOT pan season with salt, black pepper and rosemary.

In a oven dish put carrots, celery, and cover cheeks with stock... bake in oven for 2.5-3 hours. when done, take the cheeks out and thicken the sauce, if needed. Put cheeks back in dish and let stand for a few minutes. serve on Wild rice.

Don't knock it till you try it! :) :)

post-19679-0-95513900-1370881906_thumb.jpg

My favourite... Mielie bread:

1 can sweet cord

500ml self raising flour

250ml milk

Mix and in bread bad in oven at 180 till its done though... about 45min depending on oven...

Eat fresh and hot with butter or toast the next day and have with marmite...

To cook the perfect egg/omelete put a small pot lid in the pan over the egg, the trapped steam will cook the top- thus saving you the effort of flipping and potentially breaking it- plus it uses less oil...

My favourite... Mielie bread:

1 can sweet cord

500ml self raising flour

250ml milk

Mix and in bread bad in oven at 180 till its done though... about 45min depending on oven...

Eat fresh and hot with butter or toast the next day and have with marmite...

Slightly different and quick variation:

2 eggs,

500gr self raising flour,

Bit of oil, sugar and salt,

1 tin sweet corn

Mix it all

Sprinkle paprika and grated cheese in microwave bowl, add mixture. 60% power for 7min and 100% power for 3 min.

Serve hot with butter and a good marmalade etc

Use olive oil when making a white sauce. Ad a small amount of butter and the end result will still have oil (fat) in it but much more healthy. Use very little oil (one teaspoon) when baking eggs, mushrooms or onions. Add a little bit of water, the steam disperses the oil and coats everything.

You can also try coconut oil instead of the olive oil.