To ride on the right or not

AfreekduSoet

So, haven't been here for months.  Seems like a lot has changed.   Only got back on the bike recently.  Nice to see the new people here.  Good to see some Orange people here.  Damn shame no interclub this year, hey?

I have also wondered about this a lot.  Having been subjected to this style of riding and attacking,  I use to think that it is dangerous and something that needs to be looked at. 

This happens in every race.  Nevermind attacking, I recall at Highwaymen last year the whole flippin A bunch sitting on the right hand side with cars having to go off the road to avoid an accident!  Mostly thanks to the Cyclelab boys at the time. 

It also happened at Carousel.  (I was the dude having to shout at people that a car is about to crack their head if they do not move flippin left).

Afreek.

Personally I hold the organisers responsible.....Normally the guys will come alongside and ask us to move over.  Next there will be a warning.  Finally DQ. 

Normally the guys are not that hard on the rule.  But should they ask us to move over to the left, the guys normally does without any problems......Keeping the racing clean and without issues.

Spinnekop38944.6728240741

Guest Michelle

It seems to me that the problem is more with the open groups not sticking to the rules... often (as at the Randfontein race) the A-group doesn't have a lead vehicle, or a motorbike marshall to warn of oncoming traffic.  They leave the riders to behave themselves & expect them to stick to the rules that are in place for their own safety.

In the licensed groups they can send a vehicle ahead & slow down any oncoming traffic.. what would have happened at the Randfontein??  4 dead cyclists!!

So I'm wondering is it really a good idea to have racing teams in the open groups??  Maybe NOT! smiley5.gif

Dont think it is so much up to the organisers.

I like the "name and shame" idea.  Will whip out the camera (while shifting down and tryin to cover) and snap a photo or two next time.

Most races now do have a lead car for the A's but I have never seen that car come back and tell people to stay left or enforce any rules.

Would like to hear from the Orange (NH) boys what they think of it.

On behalf of the Orange okes I totally agree it is wrong period, the amazing thing about this issue is it happens all the time and nothing is done about it, hopefully the "NAME AND SHAME " hit-list will bring an end to this ugly monster - Crux and Michelle keep flashing away at all those morons ( Orange ones included)

Guest Michelle
Afreek: Lead vehicle -> warning to oncoming traffic (not marshall) smiley2.gif

Michelle:  I know. 

But there is but only one vehicle, so I would think it might be a good idea to use what is at our disposal, the lead vehicle with a marshall in it.  Eish, chick.... 

Guest Michelle

smiley5.gif

I thought you misunderstood me.. was just trying to clear it up?

Michelle, no stress.smiley1.gif

The forming of groups is good for A as it actually makes it safer (more people on similar levels at the front) and hopefully better skills and I also think when you are riding for a team and not just yourself, you tend to elevate your game.

It would have been nice to also hear from the Cyclelab boys on this forum as they are almost always the culprits attacking to the right.

hey afreek

you know what i say...

you only get hit by an oncoming car once!

if it happens more than once then you are unlucky and stupid!

i choose life and the left hand side of the road!smiley1.gif

@no.one.knows...  lol.  For sure, but it would be nice to 'race' without having to risk life or limb.

The problem is also that if the guy infront does this, then it could (and 99.999% will) have a direct impact on you. 

The car might swerve and loose control or swerve and hit me, or

if the moegoe does get wiped out, some detached part of himself or his bike might dirty my neatly pressed cycling kit!

true true!

yeah would be great if more races could have full road closure or have sections that the riders are on at that time, closed as they enter that section and then re-opened once they are trough.

this way it keeps us cyclists safe and the general motoring public (those who have patience) happy!

therefore you stay safe, can ride on any side of the road and stay cleansmiley2.gif

I think we should vote for this!smiley4.gif

Have not done the Lost City race recently, but they were very effective in controlling this using motorbikes.  Why the other race organisers can't learn from this, I don't know.

On motorbikes....

Did you see the two biker monkeys next to the road at Carousel.  Think it was about 15km or so out.  Think they were marshals of some sort.  What a lag.

But I agree, motorbike is the best.