Advise from going from 26er HT to 29er dually

Nick G

SO, I recently bought a 29er dually, but have not had the time / opportunity to ride it yet as my left arm recently came out of a cast for 6 weeks and the wrist is still a bit swollen, but I wanted to ask the hubbers out there for some advise on going from a 26er HT to a 29er dual-sus ?

Major difference in riding style ? Or just stight modifications / adjustments ? I have bbeen for a bike setup on the 29er so I'm ready to ride. Thanks guys

It would be a lot softer, more sluggish acceleration, much heavier etc. Depends on what DS it is, and what HT you had. Unless you are very soft, a 29er HT is enough for most. With 2.25 racing ralphs at the back a 29er HT will come close to a DS. My HT is softer than a friend of mines specialized epic, That brain suspension is pretty rough.

Try the shock out with a bit more pressure and lose as much weight as you can. Enjoy!

SO, I recently bought a 29er dually, but have not had the time / opportunity to ride it yet as my left arm recently came out of a cast for 6 weeks and the wrist is still a bit swollen, but I wanted to ask the hubbers out there for some advise on going from a 26er HT to a 29er dual-sus ?

Major difference in riding style ? Or just stight modifications / adjustments ? I have bbeen for a bike setup on the 29er so I'm ready to ride. Thanks guys

Hi Nick,

I went from a 26” Silverback HT to Giant Anthem X29er DS. I’m quite small (1.65m) – so I’m on the border of not being tall enough for a 29er (small frame). What I found is:

• It takes a bit of time to get used to the ‘bigger’ bike
  • The turning circle is a bit bigger, but as you get use to the bike (and ride more often) you get more comfortable with the turning
  • Short, sharp bends (switch backs) are more difficult to handle
  • I think (in general) the 29 DS is a bit slower than the 26 HT (bike weight plays a role), however, I will take this penalty purely for the ride comfort of the DS
  • Once you get comfortable with the 29er, you will NOT miss the 26”
  • The 29er definitely much faster on downhill and even ground or where you have momentum
  • Climbing with the 29er (over rocky terrain) is probably a little tougher (but the DS comfort is worth it)

Have fun!

It would be a lot softer, more sluggish acceleration, much heavier etc. Depends on what DS it is, and what HT you had. Unless you are very soft, a 29er HT is enough for most. With 2.25 racing ralphs at the back a 29er HT will come close to a DS. My HT is softer than a friend of mines specialized epic, That brain suspension is pretty rough.

Try the shock out with a bit more pressure and lose as much weight as you can. Enjoy!

Still cannot get my head around that .....

Thanks. I had a GT Avalanche Pro 26er HT and now have a GIANT Anthem X 29er dually and that Rock Shocx Monarche is apparently very forgiving so am looking very forward to give it a go.

OK, here is cassie's take inbetween ACM's...

Hi Nick,

I went from a 26” Silverback HT to Giant Anthem X29er DS.

Ditto - Merida HFS racing set-up to exactly the same...

I’m quite small (1.65m) – so I’m on the border of not being tall enough for a 29er (small frame).

I'm much larger...at least so my wife...never mind

What I found is:

• Fairly easy transition, especially if you ride for enjoyment...
  • The turning circle is a bit bigger, but as you get use to the bike (and ride more often) you get more comfortable with the turning
  • yes, agree
  • yip, only drawback I can think of on the trails, then again, how many do you encounter on a single ride??
  • I think (in general) the 29 DS is a bit slower than the 26 HT (bike weight plays a role), however, I will take this penalty purely for the ride comfort of the DS
  • Absolutely agree...no more sore anything (back / ass / hands...it all stopped)
  • yip - my poor 26'er is gathering dust...haven't been on it for 5 months now...which reminds me..
  • The 29er definitely much faster on downhill and even ground or where you have momentum
  • Climbing with the 29er (over rocky terrain) is probably a little tougher (but the DS comfort is worth it)
  • Here I disagree! Perhaps due to the 2x10 set-up...I find climbing hills a bit easier now...perhaps a menatl thing, but i'd thought that would wear off once the novelty has subsided...

Have fun!

Hi Nick,

I went from a 26” Silverback HT to Giant Anthem X29er DS. I’m quite small (1.65m) – so I’m on the border of not being tall enough for a 29er (small frame). What I found is:

Have fun!

Hey AMC, thanks. Yeah I was wondering about the switchback scenario's. I am good going down on the switchback but going up for me was always a bit more challenging and only recently (before cracking the wrist) got it correct on the HT and now it seems like I'll need to learn all over again :blink:

Still cannot get my head around that .....

Ja sorry, all relative to how low the tire pressure is, what HT frame you ride, what DS frame you are comparing it to, what tire the DS have at the back, what pressure it is run and the pressure of the rear can.

My HT is soft as butter oom :thumbup: .

Edit: was referring to comfort.

Edited by wheelerdealer

The one aspect that I found 100% better - is the way my 29'er handles ruts....I was **** scared of them before...due to some really spectacular dismounts!!

Nowadays, it seems much less of an issue...

OK, here is cassie's take inbetween ACM's...

Gotta agree on the last point there Cassie, I found getting up Tokai on my 29er DS a breeze compared to my 26er HT. Just lockout suspension and away you go!

The one aspect that I found 100% better - is the way my 29'er handles ruts....I was **** scared of them before...due to some really spectacular dismounts!!

Nowadays, it seems much less of an issue...

hey Cassie, Yeah - I have been chatting to some of the guys here at work that have 29er HT's and all say that the bigger wheels glide over small roots n branches etc, but that if I learn to bunny-hop a 29er it will never be a bad thing hehe

(I cracked the wrist on 1 of the spactacular dismounts at Majik Forest....classic "head-over-handlebars-feet-over head" type scenario....I put the laft arm out to "break" my fall (and face for that matter) but ended up cracking it big time)

Will see if I have the heart to do some mtb'ing soon as I am nervous that I will fall and once again crack the wrist. Thanks for the advise :thumbup: