VAN GAALEN TRACK SIGNS AND MAP

Ryanv1

problem is when riding with others that know their way around one tends to follow them and not look around properly

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the point. It can lead to all sorts of problems.

As a beginner, it is annoying not knowing the routes. I started out riding with people who knew the area and that was quite some time ago. To date, I'm still not 100% sure how to get to several of the famed trails on my own. I rely on Rouxtjie and Co. for that.

Was also daunting at first. Just provides a good excuse to go back :thumbup:

some of the usual suspects will be there on saturday @8...

ah have loop planned with the SS brigade around heia safari, wanna check out the new trails there

*HIJACK ON*

Soon dude, soon. Busy with rehab after the knee op at the end of April. Will hopefully take the big wheels out this weekend for a short ride.

*HIJACK OFF*

Strongs bud. Enjoy

Ag I will sommer post it here....here is most of the trails at fun gaalens

Concrete slabs, daggapad, pomphuis & rail tracks, oom piets, savana something, River east1 , greek church, river east 2 to trail head...upload enjoy

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/288688145

That is really useful rouxtjie. Many thanks. Just to be sure, does this map start from the main parking lot at VG?

That is really useful rouxtjie. Many thanks. Just to be sure, does this map start from the main parking lot at VG?

Yebo, and finishes there...we normally go and have a brewskie or two there, they sell 1L bottles....yummy

Just a sidenote, that very straight line on the left of the map is just some extra distance we built in....we turnaround at a point and come back, that can be skipped

I rode at Vangaalen's track last Monday and it's a lovely spot with some nice technical single track and the Greek Church loop etc. However at R45 per rider and R25 per walker can they please upgrade their signage on the track. I am still looking for the floating bridge and the map they give you makes no sense on the track as the signage does not help to understand the map. We were two riders and 5 walkers and we all had the same gripe. Thanks Vangaalen's.

Agree 100%

Hi all

Thanks for the map and inputs.

I get the idea about VG.

Still feel they can make a plan with the signage for the money they charge. Like eg a map that explains where a BLUE track goes and a RED track etc and then just marking trees and rock with blue and red etc. Just a suggestion. They wont be seeing me soon again which is sad as the tracks seem enjoyable.

I used rouxtjie's map this weekend. Thank goodness I had it, as I would have been hopelessly lost.

My view on van Gaalen's is that it must surely rank as some of the best MTB turf in Gauteng, if not the best.

However, signage needs to be improved, big time, if they want to attract people who want to go there as newbies. The area is much too large to get badly lost. Whilst I understand there can be some fun in getting lost, there is nothing fun about having to get home when you are exhausted and you don't know how to.

I used rouxtjie's map this weekend. Thank goodness I had it, as I would have been hopelessly lost.

My view on van Gaalen's is that it must surely rank as some of the best MTB turf in Gauteng, if not the best.

However, signage needs to be improved, big time, if they want to attract people who want to go there as newbies. The area is much too large to get badly lost. Whilst I understand there can be some fun in getting lost, there is nothing fun about having to get home when you are exhausted and you don't know how to.

Good stuff mike and I agree, Fun Gaalens is my favourite riding spot....it has everything imo, pity it is still a 45 min drive from my house but it is always worth it. You will now find that the next time you go, you won't even need the map...the more you ride there, the more you get to know the trails, to the point where you are looking for turns in the current loop to keep it fresh, or even doing it backwards, which makes it a brand new trail :thumbup:

PS how lekker is that section after the first metal bridge at the top of the 2nd hill after the concrete slab climb....daggapad!

Edited by rouxtjie

Good stuff mike and I agree, Fun Gaalens is my favourite riding spot....it has everything imo, pity it is still a 45 min drive from my house but it is always worth it. You will now find that the next time you go, you won't even need the map...the more you ride there, the more you get to know the trails, to the point where you are looking for turns in the current loop to keep it fresh, or even doing it backwards, which makes it a brand new trail :thumbup:

PS how lekker is that section after the first metal bridge at the top of the 2nd hill after the concrete slab climb....daggapad!

The whole thing was great. It's a long tough ride as well, which was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

The whole thing was great. It's a long tough ride as well, which was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

No sweat man :thumbup:

If you are looking for a beast of a ride, you can go to breedts from van gaalens and bugger around in and around buffelspoort and then back...100 - 140km rides

No sweat man :thumbup:

If you are looking for a beast of a ride, you can go to breedts from van gaalens and bugger around in and around buffelspoort and then back...100 - 140km rides

have you got the map for that?