Singletrack below Mount Pleasant

ncm

For as long as I've been riding a mountain bike (13 years or so) I've been using the section of singletrack just below the Mt Pleasant buildings, starting on the left of the road just above the Rhodes Mem gate. As there is no signage to the contrary, I have assumed that biking is allowed on the trail.

However, today on my afternoon commute I came across a couple of SANParks rangers (first time I've ever seen them on this trail) who told me quite nicely that it is not allowed to ride there and I could be liable for a R500 fine.

I don't see why bikes shouldn't be allowed here as it is not exactly a busy walking path and apart from the section leading into Newlands forest, it doesn't really go anywhere. Besides, it's a really nice little piece of singletrack!

Now, I'm not so keen to be a dick and ride there anyway given that I've been told not to and I'm even less keen to be slapped with a R500 fine, which will most likely happen if I run into these guys again, so I'm not sure what to do...

Any thoughts?

It defys logic. Come on, its single track paradise and hurts no one. This track goes though an alien tree forest, so what are they protecting?

That's a nice area. I'm never 100% about where you can and can't go around there off the track.

Found a guy last week belting past me on one of the busier walking tracks that I'd alway thought was well off limits. Apparently not.

Is there a way of petitioning for more areas to be evaluated?

Bottom line is if it's not on allowed then and you keep riding it then it makes it harder for the wider MTB voice to be heard when it comes to making changes and creating dialogue. Hit one of the other trails and see what can be done to change the rules.

Ride thru there everyday. Today probably that same rangers looked but never said anything. I have been told by a Ranger that they could fine there. Was also told by lovely runners a great piece of their minds.

Also passed rangers with no issues.

To add to it, UCT on Thursday's at 5 have mtb TT's that used this trail they even red taped some of it and signage saying "UCT MTB TT"

*really i don't know what's the story there maybe kandui or pain or shine can shed some light on this

Kandui will have more direct info but from what I know so far, he has received a tentative yes to ST in the Rhodes area. Which trails exactly? He will need to indicate.

My suggestion is to listen to what the Rangers say, especially if they are threatening fines.

It is a tight spot we're in for the next few months, Table Mountain Bikers (Rob), PPA (Gary), TokaiMTB (me) and AMArider (Meurant) are in talks with Parks starting with the rewrite of the management plan for mountain biking. Parks essentially cannot approve new trails until there is a legal document detailing every possible scenario in terms of management. The most important for Table Mountain is user area allocation and conflict avoidance. The walkers, dog walkers, paragliders, horse riders, climbers, fishermen and mountain bikers all need to come to a resolve about where mountain biking will be permitted. TMNP can only approve trails based on the input of these user groups.

I have been saying for months that the easiest solution to our plight is to make friends with the people who will essentially grant us access. Parks will facilitate the discussion, but the bottom line is how the activity of mountain biking is viewed by the general population of Cape Town.

An interesting direction in this discussion would be to offer me your opinion on how our activity is seen by others.

Edit. Historians and conservationists will look at facts provided, this is pretty much set in IMBA best practice guidelines.

Edited by Pain or shine

For as long as I've been riding a mountain bike (13 years or so) I've been using the section of singletrack just below the Mt Pleasant buildings, starting on the left of the road just above the Rhodes Mem gate. As there is no signage to the contrary, I have assumed that biking is allowed on the trail.

I saw what must have been you, while riding up the tar Rd, was curious about the the discussion you were having with the Rangers.

what is strange is that the short Bypass that was built around the Mount Pleasant out buildings (which is allowed) almost flows into the single track in question. It would be easy for someone who does not know, to ride the piece of illegal single track without knowing.

Kandui will have more direct info but from what I know so far, he has received a tentative yes to ST in the Rhodes area. Which trails exactly? He will need to indicate.

My suggestion is to listen to what the Rangers say, especially if they are threatening fines.

It is a tight spot we're in for the next few months, Table Mountain Bikers (Rob), PPA (Gary), TokaiMTB (me) and AMArider (Meurant) are in talks with Parks starting with the rewrite of the management plan for mountain biking. Parks essentially cannot approve new trails until there is a legal document detailing every possible scenario in terms of management. The most important for Table Mountain is user area allocation and conflict avoidance. The walkers, dog walkers, paragliders, horse riders, climbers, fishermen and mountain bikers all need to come to a resolve about where mountain biking will be permitted. TMNP can only approve trails based on the input of these user groups.

Thanks for looking after the interests of so many bikers and working with the system so we can all get better routes to ride. I'm sure 90% of people out pedalling don't even know what effort goes into securing access to the mtn. It's an amazing resource to have and a special place to ride.

On the side, can someone just map out the track on a google earth screen grab? I've no idea if I've ridden it or not, might well have by accident.

This is an interesting topic. The sign going into Rhodes Estate has a mtb symbol on it so most people assume it's fine to ride here. I think the official take on things is that no bikers are allowed on any singletrack on the mountain :(

Hopefully the Table Mountain bikers forum is going to be able to resolve this soon.

Thanks for looking after the interests of so many bikers and working with the system so we can all get better routes to ride. I'm sure 90% of people out pedalling don't even know what effort goes into securing access to the mtn. It's an amazing resource to have and a special place to ride.

On the side, can someone just map out the track on a google earth screen grab? I've no idea if I've ridden it or not, might well have by accident.

Rob, where are you. He has most of that area plotted already.. could you post a map and description + some info on recent discussions?

Paging Kandui, Rob?

This may help.

From sign no 18, toward Newlands forest around the dam.

entry is just about 80m on your left after the boom at MT Pleasant.

post-30270-0-39266300-1371802931_thumb.jpg

post-30270-0-29860100-1371802934_thumb.jpg

I very much believe in keeping the peace between all mountain users and so I don't want to ride where I'm not supposed to and thus give mtb'ers a bad name. However, keeping everyone happy goes far beyond defining hard rules about where one can and cannot ride. It is a matter of developing an attitude of mutual respect and courtesy amongst all users. If an activity is allowed on a certain part of the mountain this does not mean that it has exclusive rights over that area. Many people feel that if they are allowed to do something, then they can do it unconditionally without considering how it may effect others. A dog-walker won't like it if a mtb inconsiderately bombs past on a fast downhill, but I don't like it much when a dog starts yapping and going for my ankle as I ride past. With a bit of awareness and realisation that we are all out there to enjoy ourselves in different ways, we should be able to happily coexist.

Perhaps the singletrack in question can be used as a kind of showcase where we can demonstrate that bikers, walkers, runners, etc. can live in harmony. This could ease the way toward opening up more trails to bikers. Maybe this is an idea to take to SANParks?

Perhaps the singletrack in question can be used as a kind of showcase where we can demonstrate that bikers, walkers, runners, etc. can live in harmony. This could ease the way toward opening up more trails to bikers. Maybe this is an idea to take to SANParks?

..and it has for years. But as the sport grows others fell threatened by our presence. Some groups have even tried alliances painting MTB in the worst possible light.. Adjectives flying!

Am I correct in assuming the trail in question is marked on the map? huh?

Edited by Pain or shine

Morning all. I had a meeting with Jackie Pretorius about 3 weeks ago.She is the ranger in charge on the ground in the Rhodes area. I spoke to her about 3 areas:

1. The single track on either side of the tar road leading up to the first bend, heading to Rhodes Memorial.

2. A new bit of trail which I noticed leading off the top of Plum Pudding , heading towards the top jeep track (difficult to explain, but bear with me)

3. The single track starting from Cecilia Forest parking area to the boom, opposite Southern Cross Drive.

I addressed the same issue being discussed here. The trail is well established, it gets ridden, there is no sensitive vegetation next to the trail. Plus, it leads in to the new bypass track , built by San Parks . The long and short of it was that she has no problem with cyclists using the trail. A big bonus for us , because there is now a better than 50/50 chance that her superiors will go with her on this. I told Jackie that if we ride the current legal trail, say from marker 17, you get on to the tar and just after where the UCT boundary is, you can hook a left and ride down the hill on single track. You pop out at a boom, cross the road and head up the single track under the oaks , towards Mount Pleasant. It's not a huge amount of single track, but enough to set a signal and garner a serious amount of goodwill from the Mtb community. Again, she was in agreement.

In return for more trail access, I made certain commitments to Jackie: We respect other users and slow down well before we pass them. When approaching a corner, slow down in anticipation to avoid a potential incident. We (Table Mountain Bikers) will maintain the trails at our expense. If there is damage or general maintenance required, we will get it done to the satisfaction of Parks. Let's not harp on about where our Activity Card money goes in this context . That is a fight for another day and something the TM MTB Forum will deal with.

All I want is to show Parks that we are prepared to give something in return for the privilege of getting more access.

If we F it up, I told her, Parks can revoke that privilege (it is not a right).

Where will funds for maintenance come from? I got some funding from PPA and if there is a justifiable need, I will leverage more funding from PPA and sponsors.

We have a foot in the door and I am going to do what it takes to get into the room and get us more and more trail access.

I am meeting Jackie on site next week Thursday and I am confident that she will give us the green light not long after.

New signage will then go up and the trail map amended (even though 10000 new ones were just printed!). How can you know ?!

I would like to encourage any mountain bikers out there to consider joining TMB , if you feel what the initiative does for mtb makes sense to you.

I have another piece of land in mind for this kind of "inclusive usage" idea.

The firebreak above Tamboerskloof. It is kept devoid of vegetation for obvious reasons, so there is no sensitive flora issue. There is an existing footpath which needs to be upgraded to be bike friendly. For that, I will bring in a trail builder.

The trail runs from Kloof Nek Road to above Bo Kaap, where there is a level, open piece of ground (belongs to the City), which I believe can be transformed into a skills park/pump track.

There is criminal element coming off the mountain into Tamboerskloof and I have proposed to San Parks that increased activity in the this area will make it difficult for criminals to operate. Kids from the area (and the PDI angle here is obvious, with Bo Kaap right next door) can use the skills area, mountain bikers can ride all along the flank of Signal Hill and other users start using this particular trail more. So, by creating this "Safe Corridor" (San Parks Head of Visitor Safety likes the idea of the corridor and will support it), we encourage trail sharing in a responsible manner.