Bike rack solution?

Nofearnofun

Hi guys,

I have a small bakkie with a canopy and no tow bar. I need to make a plan for those longer trips where the mates can pile in the back (say 4-5 people including the driver and passenger up front) where there's no space for bikes and riders in the back. 1st prize would be a tow bar and trailer but I just don't have the funds right now. Before I go and brainstorm up a rack to build that slips over the tail gate (which will only be able to take 2 or 3 bikes, is there any alternative that will work here (pic attached of what I have to work with). Ideas for a build would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks Peeps!

post-31228-0-26277500-1371968740_thumb.jpg

Will give them a call, I'm not a fan of roof mounting bikes for a few reasons.

You forget them on the top? Really, no excuse for that other than stupidity.

As for solutions, you're only going to be able to do a couple of things.

1: Fabricate a bespoke trailer to fit 5 bikes (simple ladder frame with an a-frame head and an old axle will work)

2: Roof Rack

3: Chuck them in the back and make the mates squish up (not only illegal, but darn stupid too)

4: chuck the bikes int he back and make them drive themselves there.

Of the 4, I'd go for option 4. Tell them that they're welcome to chuck their bikes in the back, but they must get their own cheap asses to the trail head. That way, it's you and one other, plus the 4 / 5 / 6 bikes, and then 2 / 3 / 4 in the other car. Far safer, far cheaper, far more responsible and FAR more practical.

1) don't let your mates sit in the back. I've seen an accident happen in front of me with 4 guys in the back of a bakkie and that's not a good sight.

2) get a towbar. it is a bakkie afterall, so its inevitable that at some stage in your life you will want to tow a trailer

have to agree with armpies. having 4 or 5 mates in the back of my bakkie, with nothing but a bit of fibre glass between them and whatever might hit you is just not cool. carry their bikes, that's what your car is made for, don't carry passengers in the back. Yes, it is fun camping around the cooler box in the back of the bakkie, but only as long as all goes well.

2) get a towbar. it is a bakkie afterall, so its inevitable that at some stage in your life you will want to tow a trailer

To this option - look around on gumtree or go to the scrappers and buy a 2nd hand towbar, install it yourself. It's really not that difficult, and can be done for VERY cheap. Yes, the bike racks are helluva expensive, but then you can hire trailers etc and go on that way.

Whatever you do, don't let the okes sit in the back.

Bikes in the back and the rest of the mates all in a second car.

Split petrol money for the 2 vehicles between all 5 mates.

To this option - look around on gumtree or go to the scrappers and buy a 2nd hand towbar, install it yourself. It's really not that difficult, and can be done for VERY cheap. Yes, the bike racks are helluva expensive, but then you can hire trailers etc and go on that way.

Whatever you do, don't let the okes sit in the back.

I live in the east, having a bakkie without your mates and a few cases of quarts on the back is frowned apon...

Its like a boerie roll without the boerie :whistling:

I live in the east, having a bakkie without your mates and a few cases of quarts on the back is frowned apon...

Its like a boerie roll without the boerie :whistling:

HAHA! Yeah, I get what you mean. But still. Let them drive their own car.

HAHA! Yeah, I get what you mean. But still. Let them drive their own car.

yeah it is the "responsible" thing to do :oops:

bike racks are the eternal curse of mtbking. modern frames are designed to be ridden not clamped. ONly the racks that use the fork as a mounting point consider this. The old "clamp your frame types" are looking for trouble.