Worlds View Ladies Racing - The storm is brewing!!

Johnny B

Heard a birdie whisper that apparently there were a big buzz in the ladies and vets racing at the Worlds View Challenge on the weekend!  According to my sources some of the Vet Men (and in particular one) openly helped the ladies that ride in the same team kit as him.  He fetched waterbottles for the ladies and helped to pace these ladies during the race.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As a husband of a fellow lady cyclist (and no my wife does not ride in any pro team nor does she even contest the wins) my concern is that what is the use of a ?Pro Series? or if this is going to turn out to be a ?who can sit the wheel the best series??  My wife has already said that if this is going to be the way the series is going to be run then she will not do the races that is part of the series.  I share her sentiment that if this is true then you have no chance if you do not have a vet man racing for you!

Apparently the ladies and vets will race all these races together!  Can anyone confirm this and what races are part of the series?  I think the series is a very good idea but I can only see problems for this series if the ladies do race with the vet men for the rest of the series.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny B,

I can't comment for the current vets riders - but when I rode, although I was a personal friend of many of the top ladies, they understood that they would not receive assistance in any form. It's been many years since I rode in the vets bunch-but surely the other vets has something to say, I know I would have

look at some of the photos from world's view....see one or two ladies defintely being pulled by the men.....

Not sure about this but the rule is if they start in the same bunch as the men they are entilted to use the men from the same bunch.Should still leave the stronest women to win but the tactics are out the window and as you say it becomes a who can hang in the longest race.

The whole idea of the ladies racing with the vets is for the ladies to get strong, to be up there with the pace, as that is the perceived pace of the international ladies bunches. Yep, if they are there and sit the wheel of the men, then they will only become stronger. The ladies managed to stick with the front group for a while, but then got shelled and finished in the second big groups on both days. The general idea is to get the ladies strong enough to stick with the leading group all the way to the finish... then they will have a much better chance in the international races...

Makes sense, you are as stong as your competition and if they happen to be vets then thats whats needed.

Crux , I tatally agree with you, however, I notice one important point.

A guy was playing domnistique for ladies of his klub/same kit. Carring water etc.

That is wrong. !!

The ladies still have a ladies race within the group, The men is not a team member.

"According to my sources some of the Vet Men (and in particular one) openly helped the ladies that ride in the same team kit as him. He fetched waterbottles for the ladies and helped to pace these ladies during the race."popeye2008-02-05 00:05:12

Heard a birdie whisper that apparently there were a big buzz in the ladies and vets racing at the Worlds View Challenge on the weekend!  According to my sources some of the Vet Men (and in particular one) openly helped the ladies that ride in the same team kit as him.  He fetched waterbottles for the ladies and helped to pace these ladies during the race.

<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As a husband of a fellow lady cyclist (and no my wife does not ride in any pro team nor does she even contest the wins) my concern is that what is the use of a ?Pro Series? or if this is going to turn out to be a ?who can sit the wheel the best series??  My wife has already said that if this is going to be the way the series is going to be run then she will not do the races that is part of the series.  I share her sentiment that if this is true then you have no chance if you do not have a vet man racing for you!

Apparently the ladies and vets will race all these races together!  Can anyone confirm this and what races are part of the series?  I think the series is a very good idea but I can only see problems for this series if the ladies do race with the vet men for the rest of the series.

Johnny B, yes, this is the "Vet's and Ladies SuperSeries" and the goal of it is to raise the level of Vet's and Ladies racing in S.A.  I can promise you, Saturday and Sunday were the hardest racing in a long while.

At this point the ladies are not able to make the breaks or the climbs with the Vet's (sitting wheel won't get you there either).  When they are able to do that, then I'm sure they will become more positive in their racing strategy, but for now, tactics are not really relevant - and that is the way it is in Europe for them at the moment.  We are hoping to provide a stepping stone towards that goal.

As far as info is concerned, plese take a look at https://www.bikehub.co.za/forum_posts.asp?TID=21052

I can promise you, sitting wheel in this racing takes plenty of effort, it's no walk in the park.  If it was, then the ladies would have made the splits.

If the ladies start with the vets, then I guess they are allowed to be pulled by the vets, so then the club mate is allowed to pull her.

I can't say i totally agree with it, but I don't think you can stop it either, she has a right to sit his wheel.

Think it is just soar grapes.

Yes, the ladies sat wheel a lot.  BUT they are allowed to.

Like Bruce said.  There is a greater goal here.  Europe.  SO if that will make them stronger, so be it. 

As for the help the guys are dishing out.  I saw one or two incidents.  Not sportsman like but maybe gentlemen like?  It was HARD out there and ANY help would have been nice I think.

Did that help received get the girls better placings?  I don't think so.  The best girl won.

Day one in the sprint was a bit unfair I think as a cyclelab rider was pulling the girls to the line with 500m to go. (Two cyclelab chicks getting pulled by a cyclab vet with one MTN chick sandwitched in between.  Needless to say, the MTN chick did not win the sprint.  Cry)

I was sitting at back and had a bird's eye view.  Nice.  Big%20smile (The view that is)

Bingo,no one needs a white stick for this,replay a couple of Argus editions run ins to the finish and view who the winners of Elite ladies have on the day for motor paces."take my wheel honey lets split the prize the money" [:^(] [:^(]

In Italy some ladies race with the men as well. They all have a team of SuperDumbAssDicks that pace them and help them. Not easy at all (for either party).

All rounder2008-02-08 23:17:58