Carbon frame paint removal

SamL1220

Please share what they tell you. Have a fork that I'd like to strip.

Sure thing, then Think maybe I should post a tutorial type thing once finished?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you rub down till you get to 2000 water paper you may be able to get the carbon to shine (Carbon doesn't really shine but it might look dull and terrible) with a good plastic polish like Novus 123 - it is a 3 part polish starting with a course compound - I think it is expensive though.

Paint strippers will screw up the resin. Don't do it.

The method I used, was to sand the paint off, be careful to stop as soon as you reach the resin layer. I don't really suggest using a machine, you could take it too far down before you realise it. Safest option is good old elbow grease.

Once you've reached the resin, and all the paint is off, then like anything else, you'll want to water paper to remove any scratches. Once the surface looks good, give it a nice clean, and spray on a clear coat.

Edited by Wazza_pe

Try soda blasting works like a charm. Have a look on yout tube. Just did my vespa works like a charm.

When last I saw vespa wasn't made from carbon. Will you replace his frame after he stuffs it up following your advice?

I stripped a road bike frame with a heat gun and a putty spreader (it looks like a old school type butter knife) then used a very fine sandpaper to remove any scratches. You have to do the frame in small sections it took me 3days working 1 to 2 hours a day.

Ok so does anyone do this for a living in joberg, and how much you going to charge me for my Santa Cruz dual sus??And how long will u take?

When last I saw vespa wasn't made from carbon. Will you replace his frame after he stuffs it up following your advice?

My brother's Lambretta is full carbon bodywork - not cheap - We built it up just to make sure everything fitted properly, now we need to strip it down and get the frame sprayed - NOT THE CARBON.

post-18048-0-37564200-1372604738_thumb.jpg

Spoke to cycledelic,

Said a few things,

1. Don't use a chemical stripper

2. Hand sanding although time taking is best.

3. Start off with a 220 grit paper, wet sand all the paint off the frame

4. Once all the paint has been removed use a 400 grit paper and wet sand the marks from the 220 away.

5. Finish with a 600grit wet sand and will be finished!

Takes a lot of time, cycledelic quotes +-R1500 for the job as it takes around 4 days labour!

Spoke to cycledelic,

Said a few things,

1. Don't use a chemical stripper

2. Hand sanding although time taking is best.

3. Start off with a 220 grit paper, wet sand all the paint off the frame

4. Once all the paint has been removed use a 400 grit paper and wet sand the marks from the 220 away.

5. Finish with a 600grit wet sand and will be finished!

Takes a lot of time, cycledelic quotes +-R1500 for the job as it takes around 4 days labour!

I wouldn't stop at 400, that is quite course

Would the same apply to removing decals from carbon wheels.? (under clear coat)

If you know what you doing you can use a heat gun to soften the top layers of the paint and scrape it off... Then as said above some good old sand paper and elbow grease, removing the top layers with the heat gun will make the sanding go quicker. Wouldn't use paint stripper of any kind on carbon. Not even Removeall