Used Bikes and Guaratees

Sp!ke

I'm looking at a used DS at a good price. The bike is less than 1 year old but the owner says that it has no guarantee.

Anyone have experience with claiming against a 2nd hand bike? There is no way I'm taking a R20k chance on a bike no matter how well priced...

Edited by Sp!ke

I'm looking at a used DS at a good price. The bike is less than 1 year old but the owner says that it has no guarantee.

Anyone have experience with claiming against a 2nd hand bike? There is now way I'm taking a R20k chance on a bike no matter how well priced...

It would be a matter for your personal insurance to sort out.

Sometimes warrantees don't pass to 2nd owners, at least in the cycling world.

Second hand frames carry no warranty as it only covers the origional owner........unfortunately this is just how the manufacturers roll!

Recently sold a Specialized HT to someone. He would have been the third owner. I got original proof of purchase from first owner. Passed this on to him. Frame cracked. Went to spez and he now has a new frame.

So POP is important.

All this happened within 24months of 1st owners purchase

I'm reasonably sure that the CPA now stipulates that a warranty follows the product NOT the owner. Applies to cars etc so not sure why bike manufacturers think they are exempt.

Recently sold a Specialized HT to someone. He would have been the third owner. I got original proof of purchase from first owner. Passed this on to him. Frame cracked. Went to spez and he now has a new frame.

So POP is important.

All this happened within 24months of 1st owners purchase

In an ideal world the manufacturers would all respect the warranty of their products through to the end of the time frame as per the the purchase agreement irrespective of how many owners the frame has seen.

Why they don't do this really baffles me......oh wait .... they need to sell new bikes.

Just had a look on the Scott site:

...and is limited to the first purchaser of the Product.

There goes all my plans for my next bike. I really can't afford to pay R20k for a bike that a month later may succumb to a manufacturing fault and I'm screwed...

Just had a look on the Scott site:

There goes all my plans for my next bike. I really can't afford to pay R20k for a bike that a month later may succumb to a manufacturing fault and I'm screwed...

Then you have to go new I am afraid....cake and eat it scenario

Then you have to go new I am afraid....cake and eat it scenario

Didn't really want cake...

Just gave the guys from Scott SA a call... confirmed from their side, first purchaser only.

Wheres the consumer board when you need them?

Didn't really want cake...

Go buy a new one then....plenty of bike shops that want your money.

I am not going to say that the Scott won't break, but I had one with a couple of rear can failures and a rear triangle that also broke twice .... just saying....

That's why I say, rather save up a little while longer and get the bike you want new.