50mm vs 38mm Carbon wheel set

DBK

My feeling is that 50mm will become a royal pain in the neh-neh's in cross wind conditions. I believe that a 38-40mm will be a much better all rounder

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find myself in the same boat. I'm worried about the 50mm in crosswinds. I weight 65kgs so I tend to be blown around a bit. But the more I read the more it seems aero is better than weight saving... One tough decision lie ahead of me!

My other worry is how well these wheels will hold up as a all around training and race wheel

Real pity that a potential buyer cannot really test ride different wheel depths in differing weather conditions before parting with your hard earned money

I find myself in the same boat. I'm worried about the 50mm in crosswinds. I weight 65kgs so I tend to be blown around a bit. But the more I read the more it seems aero is better than weight saving... One tough decision lie ahead of me!

My other worry is how well these wheels will hold up as a all around training and race wheel

Train with heavier flat rims and then race with the deep section wheels.

Put the 50mm on the back and the 38mm on the front.

I have had 38mm tubbies for last 3 years. Recently changed to 50mm clinchers. Although I prefer the 50mm, crosswinds have a major effect on them. Coming down Bainskloof with those heavy gusts it becomes dangerous to a point where you have to slow down to below 20km/h otherwise it is really difficult to keep control of the bike.

Train with heavier flat rims and then race with the deep section wheels.

Put the 50mm on the back and the 38mm on the front.

I hear you,

But I can only afford one powertap wheel for the time being, so it has to be a race come training wheel effort

• 2 years later...

Hey old topic, but got the same issue. I have 38s, riding in 30kmh winds I really cnt fault them, they dnt knock about any more than normal shallow wheels did... I'm have a choice to upgrade to 50s and can't imagine that they would be worse. I live in cape town, if the wind Is pumping I simply don't ride... But sometimes u do get caught offside. Anyone riding 50s in the area, at which point does it become a problem... Its gona cost me nothing to upgrade to 50s so the is purely and efficiency mixed with a bit of the 50mm sexiness factor

I use the 38mm front and 50mm back from Darkhorse.

My wife 38mm back and front.

The side wind only becomes a issue if wind speed is 50 or more.

I use the 38mm front and 50mm back from Darkhorse.

My wife 38mm back and front.

The side wind only becomes a issue if wind speed is 50 or more.

Thanks soises, so in our average 30kmh winds 50s will be fine? Unless it's a race I'm not gna ride I'm that conditions and I've got Mavic shallow rims that I can switch if really gets bos!

I have 38mm tubulars and you can use it in all conditions. Thinking of switching over to 50mm darkhorse clinchers

My combo exactly.  If I have to buy again, I will take the 38mm DH clinchers.

50mm is for the riders who wants to break away or sprint to the end.

38mm is for the riders who struggles on the climbs. lightweight might help you a bit to stay with bunch. 

Aluminium is for training

Hey old topic, but got the same issue. I have 38s, riding in 30kmh winds I really cnt fault them, they dnt knock about any more than normal shallow wheels did... I'm have a choice to upgrade to 50s and can't imagine that they would be worse. I live in cape town, if the wind Is pumping I simply don't ride... But sometimes u do get caught offside. Anyone riding 50s in the area, at which point does it become a problem... Its gona cost me nothing to upgrade to 50s so the is purely and efficiency mixed with a bit of the 50mm sexiness factor

Pfft 50mm....

I rode 50mm last year, come rain, wind or shine in the Cape and I survived.

This year, 65mm is the new 50mm!

post-275-0-27888400-1457618973_thumb.jpg

I have 50mm DH wheels, love them. The wind has only been an issue on the days the it is crazy pumping, the rest of the time has been fine.

Unless you're 80 kg plus or something, the Cape winds' gusts can really mess you around with 50mm.

I can vouch for that.  Nearly saw my arse in the CTCT 2 years ago coming in to Camps Bay and last year on the short one coming back down to Strand Street.  50mm Cosmics look good but they hate crosswind.

right I have the same dilemma - so in my case I weigh in at 85kg - do a bit of road riding and the bigger races, am stronger on the flats/downhills than on the uphills and for road races don't like to be in the bunch unless im in the front - am also now doing the 70.3 events...based on the discussion so far I am assuming the 50mm over 38mm is a better bet (current bike is scott foil 20 with syncros rr.2 wheelset) and suggestions are welcome...hijack off :-)

Archived