What suspension fork for my Niner MCR?

boink

Hey Hubbers

My current fork an old Maverick SC which is really really plush is or has almost reached its end of life.

2 popped seals on the front brake side and the subsequent loss of braking power and suspension in less than 6 rides is pushing me to shop around for a replacement.

So what should I be looking at? I am not keen on a rigid fork of any kind!

Its looking like Rockshox or Fox at this point. I want something popular that I can get fixed on day 2 of Sani for example. (You guessed it no one would touch the Maverick) Oh and if it can be a good weight and plush, it must be plush!

Budget will most likely top out at R3-4K

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Mike

Reba Rl or RLT - they're a bit more than you want to spend but bulletproof.

Fox tends to be a bit more plush (although rumour has it that the Rebo Solo Air is super plush) but needs a bit more TLC...

That said - it should be illegal to put a shock on a steel bike!!!!!!

Guest Karma

I think you should swap your MCR frame for my EMD frame WITH a Fox shock.

Good deal....... :whistling:

Hey Hubbers

My current fork an old Maverick SC which is really really plush is or has almost reached its end of life.

2 popped seals on the front brake side and the subsequent loss of braking power and suspension in less than 6 rides is pushing me to shop around for a replacement.

So what should I be looking at? I am not keen on a rigid fork of any kind!

Its looking like Rockshox or Fox at this point. I want something popular that I can get fixed on day 2 of Sani for example. (You guessed it no one would touch the Maverick) Oh and if it can be a good weight and plush, it must be plush!

Budget will most likely top out at R3-4K

Any tips or advice would be appreciated!

Mike

Have you tried taking it to Malan at Velolife in Somerset West?

They serviced my DUC32 recently (They used to be Maverick cycles)

Else you can give the fork to me :D

Have you tried taking it to Malan at Velolife in Somerset West?

They serviced my DUC32 recently (They used to be Maverick cycles)

Else you can give the fork to me :D

LOL um if you have the $$$ you can have the fork!

I have had it with Malan's guys for service and for the last seal that popped. It has popped again less than 5 or 6 rides since the last repair!

Reba Rl or RLT - they're a bit more than you want to spend but bulletproof.

Fox tends to be a bit more plush (although rumour has it that the Rebo Solo Air is super plush) but needs a bit more TLC...

That said - it should be illegal to put a shock on a steel bike!!!!!!

Coming from a fox to a Reba Solo RLT...I can confirm this. Travel on them are not like the RS of old...harsh.

Coming from a fox to a Reba Solo RLT...I can confirm this. Travel on them are not like the RS of old...harsh.

Damn. One is already on order for the RDO...

Ah well - give me bulletproof over tender any day of the week. Reba for the win.

Thanks for the feedback!

Next question for anyone who is interested, is the "thru-axle" / "Maxle Lite" axle worth the trouble and potential additional cost?

The Maverick has a propriety hub with a thru axle so I will be building a new wheel up too...

Ah well - give me bulletproof over tender any day of the week. Reba for the win.

Thanks for the feedback!

No no sorry, I typed like a dutchie....

I meant the RS Reba is as plush, if not more than my F29 fox....much better fork imo. Plus like you mentioned, the RS isnt a maintenance whore

I meant the RS Reba is as plush, if not more than my F29 fox....much better fork imo. Plus like you mentioned, the RS isnt a maintenance whore

In that case - double woohoo and high fives all round :clap:

Thanks for the feedback!

PS loving mine...value for money, light enough, tough enough....Reba for the win indeed

PS loving mine...value for money, light enough, tough enough....Reba for the win indeed

Cool so the Reba is sounding good, but what about the Maxle LITE thru / axle question?

Cool so the Reba is sounding good, but what about the Maxle LITE thru / axle question?

If you going to buy new, then yebo, go for it....might as well stick with newer tech's. The one thing I love about the maxle 15mm on my reba is that you never ever have to worry about disc and caliper alignment again...so you set it up once, and it will never rub like a 9mm sometimes do. Add a little weight, but not enough to write home about

I say go for it

off topic. Got my reba yesterday. set it up done. 1 question for corrugated road must I set it to the tortois or hare