My my how far we've come...

NicoBoshoff

:lol: Awesome

I do want to know why guys didn't ditch the bar ends for downhill racing... And Just lowering your saddle would've made a massive difference.

:lol: Awesome

I do want to know why guys didn't ditch the bar ends for downhill racing... And Just lowering your saddle would've made a massive difference.

ya but then we would have had nothing to laugh at today.

ok the lycra colours had me in stiches before the first buckeld rim and out-of-control endo (it's called a crash then)

ya but then we would have had nothing to laugh at today.

ok the lycra colours had me in stiches before the first buckeld rim and out-of-control endo (it's called a crash then)

I was road riding back then.... also in lumo lycra :D

It were the 80s.

Man those guys seem bulletproof. I wouldn't get up from half those spills! Must be the Power Rangers outfits and the NFL shoulder pads!

Man those guys seem bulletproof. I wouldn't get up from half those spills! Must be the Power Rangers outfits and the NFL shoulder pads!

Shoulder pads only came in later - the early downhills were done in lycra pants and t shirts... on the same bike you raced cross country on..

And everybody raced the DH and the XC..... good fun... lots of laughs...

I'm not even a DH'ler but it only makes common sense to lower the seat! Had the center of gravity not been discovered yet?

Oh it get's better...check these two gems!

The seat up thing was just because you only had one bike for both XC and DH

and then also the DH tracks had some mean uphills in them often - or if not an uphill - a long ass flat pedal section along a fire road ... this often constituted much of the track! hahahaha so Seat up was the way!

OP, great post for a Friday. The guys with the disc wheels, were they the hardcore ones or dirt-roadies?

some classic pics of back in the day

1. slalom in 1993 at Lahee Park in Pinetown

2. to show how hardcore DH Nationals were back in 1994 at Paarl

3. and 1995 at Cascades - hows the road section behind!

post-16861-0-49893100-1374227766_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-40666000-1374227774_thumb.jpg

post-16861-0-66237200-1374227812_thumb.jpg