Tokai Robbery

Velouria

Yesterday, two British Capetonians riding in Tokai were attacked by men with wooden sticks and had their bikes stolen. They suffered some minor injuries, including a broken helmet and some aches and scrapes. The robbers were only interested in the bikes, and weren't after phones and other valuables.

I know a lot of people consider Tokai as a safe spot to ride, often alone - just beware of any suspicious characters. Looks like the second hand bike industry is quite lucrative.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you insinutating, Redlight? The husband was beaten with sticks - hard enough to break his helmet.

Edited by Mushilele

I heard it was near the bridal path/ switchbacks - i wonder if they are operating lower down then going out via Klein Constantia side over the fence.Perhaps the wine farms should be notified as well

Guest Omega Man

I heard it was near the bridal path/ switchbacks - i wonder if they are operating lower down then going out via Klein Constantia side over the fence.Perhaps the wine farms should be notified as well

Ja. or heading over to hout bay.

Ja. or heading over to hout bay.

Yes, possible. but that would mean they would have to ride back up the mountain to use that exit

Guest Omega Man

Yes, possible. but that would mean they would have to ride back up the mountain to use that exit

True. They most likely headed down into the wine farms. I don't imagine the average tik kop low life bike thief would have the legs to get over the saddle.

I was up there yesterday afternoon myself.

True. They most likely headed down into the wine farms. I don't imagine the average tik kop low life bike thief would have the legs to get over the saddle.

I was up there yesterday afternoon myself.

Actually live directly below the saddle on the Hout Bay side. Been thinking of using that route myself to Hike-a-bike into Tokai. Will actually be quicker to hike than to drive

from the Tygerberg MTB Facebook Group

FYI : Got this message from a mate earlier at about 13:15...Two visitors from Jersey,robbed of bikes now while cycling in Tokai forest..1 x Grey Giant 29'er and a Specialized 26' stumpjumper.Attacked with sticks by 2 x Charlie kids.No bike pics available and they are searching in the Westlake area today and tomorrow.Your ears and eyes would be appreciated.Thanks

Like · · Unfollow Post · Share · 16 hours ago near Cape Town <p>

why broken helmuts???? raised eybrow!

smelling a rat...... :blush:

Clearly what they did was sell their bikes in the well know Tokai bike sales tree after which they gave each other a celebratory and sound thrashing and took a happy stroll down the mountain clutching the cash from the sale and discussing how to rip off their insurance company.

It would be plain silly to believe they could possibly have been robbed...

I rode Tokai late yesterday morning, the weather was amazing and there were so many riders enjoying a break from the rain. These guys must have been very brazen/ high, it was hardly a day when you would consider yourself riding alone or vulnerable.

On our way home we were passed by 4 speeding cop cars, they all entered Westlake and drove passed the gym- Must have been following the church robbers.

Clearly what they did was sell their bikes in the well know Tokai bike sales tree after which they gave each other a celebratory and sound thrashing and took a happy stroll down the mountain clutching the cash from the sale and discussing how to rip off their insurance company.

It would be plain silly to believe they could possibly have been robbed...

Wtf, just becuase the guys helmet is cracked you recon its a scam?

SA criminals are hardcore, they'll do a lot more than crack your helmet if you are unlucky to tangle with a really nasty lot

Really bad news. Rode the switchbacks solo last weekend. Always feels quite remote there largely because so few riders venture onto that track (it needs serious work at the moment) This makes it a prime spot for a robbery.

SA criminals are hardcore, they'll do a lot more than crack your helmet if you are unlucky to tangle with a really nasty lot

I think you missed the humour in the comment dude - he was replying to Redlights tjop response.

Missed the point.