Road Bike R10k - R15k Budget

WaldoZ

I need some advice on options for a new road bike I would like to buy.

I am more of a MTB'er and have been riding a hardtail which I have used in the road Argus as well. Since then I have upgraded to a dual sus and the gearing 2x10 drivetrain is not really suited for road. I train on the road often aswell and would like to enter more road events.

I have been looking and found the Scott CR1 Comp very attractive.

http://www.scott-spo...-comp-cd20-s52/

I've looked at the 2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 Tiagra coming in at the lower end of my budget, but I think carbon frame is probably more worth it and putting in the extra $$ will save me from wanting to upgrade again later.

Other bike I looked at was the Giant TCR.

I was hoping anyone could point out a few other options they think is worth while and how they stack up to the above bikes?

Edited by WaldoZ

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get an amazing second hand bike for that money on the hub. There is not much that can go wrong with a second hand road bike that you cant see, unlike a Mtb which could have dodgy suspension etc. Also road groupsets last longer than Mtb ones so the 2nd hand option could be viable.

Silverback Space will cost about R14000, maybe less with the imminent release of 2014 models

I looked at those Space 2:

http://www.cyclefact...s-2013.html#CBN

The space 1 looks a bit expensive but maybe I should wait for the 2014 to see the price drop?

Edited by WaldoZ

You can get an amazing second hand bike for that money on the hub. There is not much that can go wrong with a second hand road bike that you cant see, unlike a Mtb which could have dodgy suspension etc. Also road groupsets last longer than Mtb ones so the 2nd hand option could be viable.

I've been keeping my eye but not knowing what size I should get I'd probably rely on the advice from where I buy. Not many options available at present for me but I'll keep looking out though.

I have a XL Specialized Epic Comp MTB. I'm 193cm tall and I've worked out I'm either 58cm or 61cm for road bike depending on the geometry. Size charts is also a guess sometimes :)

I've been keeping my eye but not knowing what size I should get I'd probably rely on the advice from where I buy. Not many options available at present for me but I'll keep looking out though.

I have a XL Specialized Epic Comp MTB. I'm 193cm tall and I've worked out I'm either 58cm or 61cm for road bike depending on the geometry. Size charts is also a guess sometimes :)

There was someone on the hub selling a Trek Madone 61cm

Can't go wrong with the space 2 - i am currently on my second silverback roadbike - and while you wont see many of them around on race day - they are fantastic value for money, ride great and the service / warranty from silverback is top notch.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming... Felt and Secteur looks good but how do they compare against the carbon frames? I don't mind spending the extra to ensure I don't want to upgrade really soon after. I'll definitely dig around and research those though!

...I'd probably rely on the advice from where I buy...

I wouldn't do this. They'll just sell you what they have in stock at the time.

Do the research and know what size you need before you go to the shop.

I'll make sure I try both sizes, tried a 58cm cannondale but felt like bigger could be more comfortable. Would like to test a bigger size for myself though before making a decision.

If its comfort you want with responsiveness go for the Scott CR1. The only aluminium bike that should be considered over a carbon frame is the CAAD 10.

I need some advice on options for a new road bike I would like to buy.

I am more of a MTB'er and have been riding a hardtail which I have used in the road Argus as well. Since then I have upgraded to a dual sus and the gearing 2x10 drivetrain is not really suited for road. I train on the road often aswell and would like to enter more road events.

I have been looking and found the Scott CR1 Comp very attractive.

http://www.scott-spo...-comp-cd20-s52/

I've looked at the 2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 Tiagra coming in at the lower end of my budget, but I think carbon frame is probably more worth it and putting in the extra $$ will save me from wanting to upgrade again later.

Other bike I looked at was the Giant TCR.

I was hoping anyone could point out a few other options they think is worth while and how they stack up to the above bikes?

I am riding a Merida Scultura Comp 904. Great value, full carbon and Shimano 105 for around the upper end of your price range. Very happy.

I got my Giant TCR Advanced for R12500 second hand off the hub and it'd only done 1 Argus. I love it the frame is awesome and you can do simple upgrades around it as you go.

Also been riding the BMC SLX01 with full Ultegra, not sure what you could get them for in SA but I'm in europe at the moment and there are some second hand bargains / last years stock to be had. It's actually crazy. I really like the BMC for the stiffness, a very nice ride.

If you get TCR you won't be disappointed. I'd look to get new wheels as the first up grade then maybe carbon pedals, carbon shoes and swap out the cockpit...