Road Bike R10k - R15k Budget

WaldoZ

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look to Spend a little less on frame and group set and up grade wheels, biggest gain to be had.

I'd always prefer a better frame that I can upgrade the various components to make a better bike if you're into it. If you skimp on the frame in favour of better wheels then start upgrading then you've still got an average frame but just with better parts. Wheels are always the first place to start when upgrading. Make a world of difference.

Just watched an immaculate BMC SLX01 with full ultegra, FSA carbon crank and Cosmic hoops just get won on ebay for £521... too big for me but darn that was a good buy. If it'd been a 54 I'd have brought it back.

You can get an amazing second hand bike for that money on the hub. There is not much that can go wrong with a second hand road bike that you cant see, unlike a Mtb which could have dodgy suspension etc. Also road groupsets last longer than Mtb ones so the 2nd hand option could be viable.

With that budget I would go with this option you can get a 1 or 2 year old bike with good parts. As Skistar says not too much goes wrong with road bikes. Nearly everyone has fallen with a MTB bike but not too many road bikes have crashed. Check the frame for signs of a fall and if nothing its good to go.

I would look at a second hand Giant TCR with Ultegra you can't go wrong with that.

Check the frame for signs of a fall and if nothing its good to go.

Pretty obvious places for road bikes: Saddle scuffs on the edges, rash on the pedals, rash on the QR & brake hoods / levers & handlebars and then more obvious bumps and scrapes. If it's carbon have a good look about the joins and BB.

If its comfort you want with responsiveness go for the Scott CR1. The only aluminium bike that should be considered over a carbon frame is the CAAD 10.

Somebody already said CAAD 10 - why is this debate still going on? :whistling: :ph34r:

Thanks guys, I think the best is probably to keep an eye on the classifieds. Although I have a few options (new) I'll be looking over the weekend just to get the ball rolling, nice to have options.

Isn't CAAD 10 outside the OPs bracket?

I'm also searching for a good bike and I am trying to weigh my options as fast as I can before the upgrade day comes. Thanks to some motorist, now I need a bike and need it now... and I'm gaining a few kilos. :'(

Isn't CAAD 10 outside the OPs bracket?

I'm also searching for a good bike and I am trying to weigh my options as fast as I can before the upgrade day comes. Thanks to some motorist, now I need a bike and need it now... and I'm gaining a few kilos. :'(

A good secondhand one is close, that is if owner wants to let it go.

I rode the Macsteel classic with a husband/wife couple that just bought themself think it was Scott CS1's (might have been a CR1) for 16K, looked like a great bike.

can be totally off the mark...

G

Look to Spend a little less on frame and group set and up grade wheels, biggest gain to be had.

Disagree with this.

As Hellocolour said. Get a decent frame to begin with. Upgrades on other parts are easier done and will come regardless. Agreed wheels are one of the first places to look at an upgrade.

Get a quality frame, I echo that.

Wheels and gruppo can easily be upgraded.

My sense is that good deals are widely available in winter and with many moving over to MTBing.

Agreed on getting a good quality frame, rest I can upgrade as I go.

I have a really good option on a Specialized Tarmac Sport (new). I've been to a shop that measured me etc and I did a few test runs on different sizes and I can go 58 or 61 but they recon 58 can give me more options as far as setup goes. I just need to convince myself that spending the little extra is worth it!

Well, I have a friend who'se recently gotten a Tarmac cannot stop smiling. Haven't ridden one myself. Just make sure about the newness (is it new-new or very new 2nd-hand?) of the bike. Recently found out that Spez warrantee on frame is only for original owner.

Agreed - smaller frame gives you more options ito setup if required.

Agreed on getting a good quality frame, rest I can upgrade as I go.

I have a really good option on a Specialized Tarmac Sport (new). I've been to a shop that measured me etc and I did a few test runs on different sizes and I can go 58 or 61 but they recon 58 can give me more options as far as setup goes. I just need to convince myself that spending the little extra is worth it!

Well, I have a friend who'se recently gotten a Tarmac cannot stop smiling. Haven't ridden one myself. Just make sure about the newness (is it new-new or very new 2nd-hand?) of the bike. Recently found out that Spez warrantee on frame is only for original owner.

Agreed - smaller frame gives you more options ito setup if required.

I am the friend. Just close your eyes and buy it. You will not be sorry . Depending on what bike you have before, but in my case the difference is huge.........and absolutely awesome. ;)