Crime on the up in Cape Town

sharkysa

Living and commuting between the two cities I can tell you I am still more weary when in JHB. CT alarm reaction times are poor and from what I gather intruders are more likely armed with knives than firearms - especially in Newlands/Rondebosch...?

Also the contrast is quite stark, in JHB you see companies like Core, CSS, SWAT with guards carrying automatic weapons whereas down here it is helmets? Maybe time to launch them down here...

In the mid 80's we had a kid from Jozie in our class and his dad started a local security firm. First time ever we saw automatic firearms. Considering that this was Gordons Bay that has the Navy College. Heck, I did not even see automatic firearms in the Naval College when we use to go there.

I now live in Somerset West and we have lots of armed response but its very seldom you will see any of them with automatic weapons.

Its Slaapstad.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cape was our last stand in SA. After being here for some really good years we have looked at our last option. Its not for everyone, but when we had considered crime stats, rape amd murder stats, socio economic reforms in place, state of our education system, upcoming political leaders, our ranking as most corrupt country in the world, the drop in our priduction of foods and slow move towards being more of an food import vs export based country, the state of our electricity supply and how that may affect our economy moving forward, the poor governance and lack of management of our state, health system, police, etc and many other factors related to what those in power elude to with regards redistribution if wealth, there really is only one option for us to give our children a stable life, something we would not have had if our folks had not left Zimbabwe. So we are about 2 month away from packing our container and moving down under.

Meanwhile back on the Cape flats...this is what the residents have to put with... :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksCgYzOgUUw

whats happening there is like a low intensity war in most countries they would send the army in to deal with the kind of s**t that these people live with. Here we have 2 problems 1.our politicians particulary the ruling ones are a bunch of S***s and 2. our army is not what it should be ..the thing is a lot of these guys have been in prison so they have been caught ..another solution would be to bump these guys off while they are in prison oops he slipped in the shower .. sigh one can dream can't one I suppose that would be violating their right to kill and steal and take drugs ..sigh

Hi guys

A bit of a punt for my company but here goes....

With a reputation for innovation and quality spanning nearly three decades, Cochrane International continues to pioneer with segment- leading Physical Perimeter Security Barriers that deliver effective security to protect most assets.

By any measure, Cochrane products successfully defines its class; from the Clear-Vu- Invisible Wall, the world’s only architecturally inspired high security fencing system for strategic sites. The Marine Floating Barrier, the world’s first and only deep water high security barrier for anti-boat intrusion, to the Rapid Deployment Vehicles for crowd and riot control.

And the value of every Cochrane product is enhanced by Global Customer Support- 24/7/365- through a network of 9 offices spanning 4 continents.

Cochrane has generated a client base of long standing customers worldwide with which they have good relationships and believe that this is the essence of their mutual success.

Contact me on dnoche@cochrane.co or on 076 012 8740 if you want to find out more about our products which are proven to keep your assets and you safe.

I fitted these rolling spikes to my perimeter wall this last week as my new house had 22 break-ins in the last 6 months before I moved in last week. Just the day before my move they stole two outside brass taps and a basin from the maids toilet.

Only had the house for a week but no more incidents. Now my neighbours also want to fit them. They cost R100 pm (ex VAT, delivery is R250 per order). Very easy DIY project and can be fitted on flat surfaces and precast walls.

This should never be your only defence but it works very well as a deterrent. Nothing will stop a criminal who has targeted your house but it will stop crimes of opportunity.

http://www.starwalls.co.za

http://www.starwalls.co.za/resources/graphics/jpeg/photo/DSC01417.jpg

Geez Chris...where do you stay now??

where I stay in our road about 8 of the more or less twenty houses are occupied all the time next door to me 2 houses are used as small run from home bushinesses nothing obtrusive or irritating. A man from our armed response company stays accoss the road .. our armed response company headquarters are 2 minutes away. They get to our property before they get their call to us about 2 min. then there are the people watching from the mountain that I didn't even know about and only found when one of their guys sent a warning that there was a group of guys looking into cars outside my house ..added to all this it is not an affluent area or I don't quite know how to put it ..for example if they broke into our house they would be very disapointed as we don't have all fancy stuff I think my bike might be the most valuable thing in the house and that is only worth about R3g second hand the laptops are ancient and 2 are infested with viruses the tv is so old it should be in a museum the DVD player is one of those R200 jobs but about 8 years old our HI Fi now thats a good joke I doubt they would get much for that maybe R50 lol and thats it no jewelry no no satelites etc . When I've had guys come to do work here I can hear them thinking wtf theres nothing to steal.... of course now that I've said this all I'd better touch wood theres some demented tikoppe out there that'll literally kill you for 20c...

That there is my major concern...when I absolutely have TO LET OTHER PEOPLE ONTO & INTO MY HOUSE....they are only eyes /ears for others to follow... call me paraqnoid but i do not trust any contractor and his team of thugs!!

WRT a Firearm. Only consider this if you are confident that you WILL use it when the time comes to take a life and are happy with the inherent risks of having a firearm in your home (not in a safe and with a round chambered). Accidental discharges happen to even the most trained & experienced firearm handlers.

Best approach is to layer your security from the property boundary inwards. According to a couple of surveys CCTV cameras and Small Dogs in the house are the most effective deterrent.

Crime is up all over...... except on the stats.

There is a military exercise on in PE with SANDF and US Army.The extra visible vehicles have done nothing to drop the crime.

This is a friends fb status this morning.

3.30am wake up to go outside, black man standing on my 2nd floor balcony. He grabs me by the throat tells me to shut up.. I shout for my son. He and I fight the guy. I turn see the 2nd guy who shoots at us.. bullet hole in wall. Richcochets into the house. Third guy waits then nonchalantly then walks away with the other. WHAT THE EFFING HELL?????? My son could have died. I just cant cope anymore.

A collegue was hit last week. Stays in Constantia, went to the V&A to pick up his daughter. Got home at about 8pm. Opens the gate, drives in. Stops in front of his garage with 3 armed robbers escourting them both out of the car. Some quick thinking by his daughter and good fortune on his side meant that they only got 2 cellphones, a wallet and a handbag, but it could have been much worse. He and his daughter will be getting psychiatric treatment (our company will pay the bill) to ensure that they deal with it properly. You suddenly start to notice weaknesses with your own security arrangements when someone close to you becomes one of the statistics.

Edited by GLuvsMtb

Keep the Lab in the house at night ,that should give you warning if there is movement outside & don't feed him at night.Stay safe

EXACTLY.

Geez Chris...where do you stay now??

Not my wall, need to take photos but its sad we need to start looking like Jozie. I'm now in corner of Bonaero & Voortrekker in Bridgewater (can see the station platform from my kitchen).

Funny that the criminals where not the usual suspects from the station. Would rather tell you offline who they where as there are still criminal investigations. Lets just say me moving in resulted in the problem being one step closer to resolved.

Walked into my parents room at 7pm on Friday night to find a guy standing there! He made his escape using the same way he got in... through a window frame where they removed a piece of glass, that space is only 22 x 26 cm!

Had him by the legs for a while, half way out the window while his friend was trying to help him out (think his friend was to big to get inside!) unfortunately he got away!

Strangely enough my Giant Trance was outside the front door, still drying after my ride and they didn't touch it!

The biggest mistake a lot of us make is not to report even the most mundane criminal event. While it might seem that police do not do enough, reporting crimes might make the difference when they need to allocate their limited resources.

It also helps armed response to strategically place their guys in these hot spots.

Up in Jhb we are use to living in secure estates, but that gives you a false sense of security. Alarms, Beams, Security Gates.

Your dog .... just check they don't try poisen him / her. Best to let him sleep inside at night.

Also ... get yourself a "yapper" .... smaller dog that is awake ----- Sausage Dog, great family dog as well.

Unfortunately .... break in's don't just happen here at night ---- in broad day-light while your at work.

Buy a paintball gun and load it with pepper bullets and solids ..... doesn't kill but hurts like hell.

I fitted these rolling spikes to my perimeter wall this last week as my new house had 22 break-ins in the last 6 months before I moved in last week. Just the day before my move they stole two outside brass taps and a basin from the maids toilet.

Only had the house for a week but no more incidents. Now my neighbours also want to fit them. They cost R100 pm (ex VAT, delivery is R250 per order). Very easy DIY project and can be fitted on flat surfaces and precast walls.

This should never be your only defence but it works very well as a deterrent. Nothing will stop a criminal who has targeted your house but it will stop crimes of opportunity.

http://www.starwalls.co.za

http://www.starwalls.co.za/resources/graphics/jpeg/photo/DSC01417.jpg

22 break ins in 6 months - at what stage did they reveal this fun stat?? you must have got the house for a steal.

Keep the Lab in the house at night ,that should give you warning if there is movement outside & don't feed him at night.Stay safe

Yip many people keep feeding their dogs all day and night with little tid bits. Eating makes them lethargic. Feed em in the morning and afternoon and then walk them after the last feed.

Let em sleep inside, they will be far more alert than if you leave them outside where the skaraminke can feed them.