Frame Weights

Jono Waddell

Hi all,

Please help me out here.

In terms of a carbon frame weight, what would be considered as being light? I am interested in a carbon frame but the weight is 2kg for a small frame, which seems heavy to me.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Please help me out here.

In terms of a carbon frame weight, what would be considered as being light? I am interested in a carbon frame but the weight is 2kg for a small frame, which seems heavy to me.

Hardtail or dual-sus

Sorry. Its a road frame.

nee sheet 2kg is very heavy for a roadframe, to give you an idea.

My niner alu frame..medium = 1700g

My fongkong carbon frame medium =1175g

Rocky Mountain vertex = 990g

The new scott(think it is the plasma) with fork have combined weight of under 1000g...

That weight of 2kg sounds to me like its been weighed with the fork, headset, seatpost, and maybe the BB still in?

Hi all,

Please help me out here.

Does that weight not include the fork?

What frame is it?

2kg for a rd frame is heavy,you can get steel at 1.4kg.

Some manufacturers weigh the bare frame with no paint,no rear hanger and no bb mount.

1.3kg and under is pretty light.

Hi all,

Please help me out here.

What frame is it?

Is it painted/ unpainted?

Fork full carbon or with alu-steerer?

Isp or trad- seatpost?

Surely you could get a good alloy frame with carbon fork and seatpost that will be lighter than that.

I think the Cannondale CAAD8 alloy frame is about 1300g for the frame (excluding fork ect).

Hi,

Do not know so much about weights but have a RC8000 Frame when I bought the bike with SRAM Force on it weighed 6.9 kg complete bike. As far as I know the RC7000 is same frame but components was different so it cant be that bad.

It is a few years back technology though so will probably not be as low as the new frames.

As reference:

Frame: Around 1kg considered average to good. For high end you'd want to break 1000g as most high end and even some second / third tier models break the 1kg mark without issues.

Fork: Around 380g is considered average to good. High end is sub 350g and in some cases closer to 300g

Raleigh have always been on the heavier side along with Silverback and...Pinarello! Felt, Scott, Cannondale, Spez and several others do not have an issue to drop competitive "base" weights.