My latest baby - what a belter!

jmaccelari

its to get the belt on and off for replacement , remember the your chain goes through the rear trangle . try take a chain off your bike without splitting the frame ( no can do ) and the belts come as one peace you cant join them so you then need a frame that can open up on the rear triangle .

Stretch is being doff.....i have not had my morning coffee yet....cant see the split on that frame though unless its there where the axle bolt is

Very nice. Seems like the entire drive side slider is removable in order to replace the belt.

Yip - having a closer look, I agree. Looks like it leaves a gap between the seat stay and chain stay. Very neat.

Stretch is being doff.....i have not had my morning coffee yet....cant see the split on that frame though unless its there where the axle bolt is

Seems theres a slider on the drive side that slides out creating a gap between the seat stay and chain stay where they would normally meet. Very cool.

See below. I know it's a chain setup, but the chrome bit seems to be removable, leaving a gap.

post-12909-0-85333500-1375251623_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ryanpmb

why do you need to split the frame? surely you can just take off the rear wheel and slip the belt off?

How did they get it on there in the first place then :whistling:

Seems theres a slider on the drive side that slides out creating a gap between the seat stay and chain stay where they would normally meet. Very cool.

See below. I know it's a chain setup, but the chrome bit seems to be removable, leaving a gap.

yip - thats where i was looking at...very neat job they have done on the op's frame

Very nice! Must look wierd when you look down at the belt while riding? Please let us know how it feels? And how do you replace it? It doesnt join like a normal chain?

If it can last 20,000km, you might be replacing the bike before the belt!

bo must be talented...

whahahaha, you should know by now my spelling is horrid

Well, some feedback after my first commute:

This is the first time I have ridden a single-speed in anger, and boy, it ****ed me up! One gear to start, stop and ride. What a bugger! The workout was fantastic - I did 12kms and really had to work hard. The other thing I noticed is how simplistic it is: no gearing down towards the lights, no making sure you are in the correct gear, no worrying about shifting. Just ride the bike. NOW I see what the SS guys are on about!

As for the belt drive, it is amazing. Totally quiet. I could only hear my cleats clicking and and tyres rolling. No chain hum at all! Really wierd. The other thing is the belt is taut all round, so there is zero slack in the drivechain (drivebelt? ;-) ). So the response is very tight. Also no slapping or other movement when riding on bumpy surface or hitting an obstacle.

I am convinced there is more friction in a belt than chain - it just feels like there is, so this is subjective rather than a fact. Not much, so for a commuter this doesn't matter.

So for commuting, it is brilliant. Looking forward to the ride home this afternoon!

Very nice! Must look wierd when you look down at the belt while riding? Please let us know how it feels? And how do you replace it? It doesnt join like a normal chain?

Yep - as the others have stated, there is an insert bolted into the frame, connecting the two stays. You can see it in the original picture - the two allen bolts are the clue. Pop this out and the belt slips through there.

It makes changing the belt a bit of a task, but since they don't break and last up to 20000kms, this is not an issue.

very nice, seems everyone is going belt drive for commutes, one of these days they going to be on every bike

The other big thing in commuting are the internal hubs, like the Alfine and Roeloff ones. Combine those with a belt drive and you get an awesome commuter.

For those of you who want to see how a bike is locked up on London, here's a picture. I brought my SA lock and the guys laughed. Apparently the thieves here walk around with high tensile bolt cutters that snip SA locks like viennas... This is a Kryptonite New York lock with an 18mm hardened steel shackle and lots of other anti-theft technology. The frikkin' thing weighs close on 3 kilos!

post-2652-0-80574400-1375254943_thumb.jpg

Edited by jmaccelari

Nice bIke Jeremy, I really like how clean and neat that belt drive looks! May you have many safe miles on it.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who want to see how a bike is locked up on London, here's a picture. I brought my SA lock and the guys laughed. Apparently the thieves here walk around with high tensile bolt cutters that snip SA locks like viennas... This is a Kryptonite New York lock with an 18mm hardened steel shackle and lots of other anti-theft technology. The frikkin' thing weighs close on 3kgs

Very nice bike. If I had carried on commuting in Jhb I would have bought one.

I had two of those locks to lock up my bikes at the Gautrain stations. They are damn heavy but they gave me peace of mind

post-12909-0-85333500-1375251623_thumb.jpg

open the floor to the mechnical engineers here, looks like that's a weak spot to do the break, far too many forces?