Fitness Advice - leg burn?

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for some answers to leg burn issues. For the last month - 3 x weekly, I've been going up Tokai Forest main track; turning left, continuing up and then zooming off in all directions. It's obviously been hard work (wasn't very fit couple of months ago) but its been a pleasure and great learning experience. Then one day (following same up & left track as always) I ended up on a track (where the rock fall is) and asked a passing rider where the track went and was told "to the mast". Having plenty of time to play I just carried on. It was hard work but not impossible and I felt good cycling even if a little nervous about the tech sections (big rocks etc) and being so high up. So end result is I got to about 3.5kms on the tar road away from the mast and gave up. Not because of fitness but i'm a bit agrophobic, I was on my own and I'm the first to admit I'm terrified of downhills.

So my question is, since I did the mast ride, every time I get on my bike I get leg burn within minutes, to the point of actually struggling to get beyound level 3 in Tokai.

I'm signed up for the 30km Die Burgher on Saturday and I'm just a little confused as to why I'm still getting leg burn when the mast ride was over 2 weeks ago.

Anyone got any advice please?

Dont be too concerned about the Burger 30kms. That is a flat route. Will see u there. Im also doing the 30.

Dont be too concerned about the Burger 30kms. That is a flat route. Will see u there. Im also doing the 30.

Sun Screen, at least spf 40+ and you should be good to go. Or a pair of those awesome triathlete sock things, they work too.

Are you simply just riding faster and harder than you used to?

Taking enough recovery time?

Could be just about anything and it could just as easily be something that just needs a few days rest.

If the burn goes away after riding for a bit, id hazard its tight muscles perhaps. Are you stretching enough?

I had a similar problem, I started giving myself 1 day recovery after every ride, problem solved and I started getting faster on the climbs. Try increase your recovery time see if that helps

Are you simply just riding faster and harder than you used to? Maybe yes,

Taking enough recovery time? I thought so but maybe I just overdid it without realising,

Could be just about anything and it could just as easily be something that just needs a few days rest. I must admit yesterdays ride uphill was painfull but coming down or going on flat was a breeze and my legs actually ached today, which they haven't done since before the mast ride.

If the burn goes away after riding for a bit, id hazard its tight muscles perhaps. Are you stretching enough?

Such a simple process and yet I think your right, I don't stretch at all before riding. Memo to self to now do so, thanks

I had a similar problem, I started giving myself 1 day recovery after every ride, problem solved and I started getting faster on the climbs. Try increase your recovery time see if that helps

I do usually cycling alternate days unless I feel like wonder women - which isn't often, I think I just overdid it :)

get a massage and do some stretching

Excellent advice from everyone, thanks!!!!!

You need to warm up properly, otherwise the burn hits almost immediately and you get "heavy legs".

Don't know your makeup, but that can be up to 8kms of gently warming up, especially if the outside temps are low.

Go for a deep tissue massage to loosen the muscles and carry on riding!