No Energade triseries?

pastapouch

Thanks DaveM

I am trying to get the standard negative hubber moaning about everything going here but every time you stop me dead ion my tracks with your factual responses. It shall be taken into consideration when we meet/race again

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks DaveM

I am trying to get the standard negative hubber moaning about everything going here but every time you stop me dead ion my tracks with your factual responses. It shall be taken into consideration when we meet/race again

You can moan when I come past you at your next race.

You can moan when I come past you at your next race.

Hahaha aaah! Check your email. That might be sooner than you think!!!

Is TSA a waste of money?

I was in doubt, attended a CGT AGM and realised that an enormous amount of work is done by CGT and TSA committee members for free.

I believe that not a single person other the secretary of TSA (a full time administrative position) earns a salary or any remuneration for the work. Please correct me with facts if I am wrong.

I do think the fee to broadcast an event is ridiculous.

I challenge any person who thinks they are getting ripped off to attend their provincial committee's AGM and make an informed decision.

I got an email recently about the AGM but didn't read it properly. Have they already had the meeting? I would like to get more involved but am not too sure where to start. I think that if we want to see a change in the system, we need to do that from the inside instead of just standing by and shouting the odds.

Categorically wrong. You register online at TriathlonSA.co.za. It will take you less than five minutes including payment.

KZN and WP members have to join a club (that is your regions committee's fault, not TSAs). Does not stop you from doing the TSA online registration though.

No, I'm not wrong. Because I live in Cape Town, I have to join a club to join TSA. On TSA's website it states: "KZN and WP athletes must belong to a provincial club or risk having TSA membership cancelled."

In addition that means I have to compete in my club's strip (another stupid TSA rule). That means another R1000 (at least) for my club strip. So, in addition to TSA's membership fee I must now pay club fees as well. So a cool R1650 to be a TSA member and avoid the mandatory R100 per event they charge. Seems legit.

Multiply the above by 2 by adding my wife and joining TSA becomes a joke.

I realise triathlon isn't a sport for poor people, but shelling out over R3000 a year for very little benefit is a bit steep for me.

seriously okes, listen to this brother and stop being cheapskates.

I dont think this thread is about being cheapskates.

Its about, growing the sport, but not damaging all of out wallets in the same time and space.

(Infact making the entrance to low wont grow the sports either)

It is as, as one of the previous posters said, do you charge R50 to get X amount of attendance or do you charge R100 to get Y attendace (Y being less than X). As a result, the "price of entry desicion makers" do need to be policed and reprimanded if it turns out they set an unrealistic entrance fee.

In addition. Listening to 567, I hear we are in for more petrol price hikes, meaning an ever increasing squeeze on the middle income household. It will be interesting to see how competitors will be able to continue "just paying" let alone we justifying these addictions, to ourselves.

Edited by bclark

No, I'm not wrong. Because I live in Cape Town, I have to join a club to join TSA. On TSA's website it states: "KZN and WP athletes must belong to a provincial club or risk having TSA membership cancelled."

In addition that means I have to compete in my club's strip (another stupid TSA rule). That means another R1000 (at least) for my club strip. So, in addition to TSA's membership fee I must now pay club fees as well. So a cool R1650 to be a TSA member and avoid the mandatory R100 per event they charge. Seems legit.

Multiply the above by 2 by adding my wife and joining TSA becomes a joke.

I realise triathlon isn't a sport for poor people, but shelling out over R3000 a year for very little benefit is a bit steep for me.

Fair enough but that is the provinces decision not TSA. If you don't want to represent your province, why not register as a Gauteng athlete?

My point remains that you can register on the TSA site for your licence in five minutes. All the other stuff is the price for having a mountain and cold water. :w00t:

I am not saying it is right, just lay the blame at the correct door.

Fair enough but that is the provinces decision not TSA. If you don't want to represent your province, why not register as a Gauteng athlete?

I guess you're right. Which is what I'll do, using my sister's address in Gauteng.

But I won't do that immediately, otherwise the TSA stooges will know it's me that registered and ban me from ever competing again. Because they love the sport ;)

I dont think this thread is about being cheapskates.

Its about, growing the sport, but not damaging all of out wallets in the same time and space.

(Infact making the entrance to low wont grow the sports either)

It is as, as one of the previous posters said, do you charge R50 to get X amount of attendance or do you charge R100 to get Y attendace (Y being less than X). As a result, the "price of entry desicion makers" do need to be policed and reprimanded if it turns out they set an unrealistic entrance fee.

Well, I guess I'm a cheapskate. Here are my costs for Slanghoek Triathlon:

Entry x 2 (myself and the wife): R800

TSA mandatory temp license x 2: R200

Petrol there and back: R200

Gu/Energade/Powerbars: R100

Buying 2 meals at the food stalls: R100

Babysitter for 6 hours: R200

Total cost for a small, regional triathlon: R1600

That's excluding the costs of all the equipment and training needed before you can even consider entering.

It's a very small percentage of people who are willing to shell out that amount of money on a weekly or even monthly basis.

26 October there is events at Aldam.

Excluding day license fees I am doing the following:-

21km Trial Run

Olympic Distance Triathlon

35km MTB

Total cost of entries - R250

The day fees will be the same. So the governing body is taking half of everything and they will not be there. (assuming)

The thing that I don't understand is who decided that TSA now OWNS the sport. Yes why cant we just have non-TSA races? Less than 10% cares about winning and prize money in any case.

Who are they to disallow me if I want to organise a non TSA event? Did they invent and patent triathlon?

Edited by Garfield2010

My point remains that you can register on the TSA site for your licence in five minutes. All the other stuff is the price for having a mountain and cold water. :w00t:

I am not saying it is right, just lay the blame at the correct door.

For the record of the annual fee that is paid for membership R125.00 goes to TSA. What do you get for that/ Well one thing is you are insured traveling to, racing at and traveling back from a race incase of accident. The rest of the fee lies with your province.

Sanctioning fees vary according to the race, the size and its purpose, a large scale for profit race will have a sanctioning fee, where as a development race may be exempt.

The idea of sanctioning a race is to insure that the event is safe, that adequate precautions have been taken and that the layout of the race is fair, all things that help insure the athlete can enjoy the race. BTW if for example the provincial chair of CGT allows a race to go ahead and it is not sanctioned and someone is killed he/she can be held accountable in a court of law. Now bear in mind that such a person is a volunteer and does not get paid, how many of you would take on the responsibility, I know I would not.

Fat Cats in TSA don't make me laugh. The Executive Committee put time, effort and expertise into trying to make things better, they get not a cent. Most of TSA's funding is lottery.

No I am not on the TSA board, nor am I on a provincial board.

Fat Cats in TSA don't make me laugh. The Executive Committee put time, effort and expertise into trying to make things better, they get not a cent. Most of TSA's funding is lottery.

Well, if they're not fat cats, they should get someone to look at their finances.

They're getting R100 per athlete per event. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but they're getting at least R500 000 just from the 70.3 and Ironman events.

I don't know how many other events there are that all have to cough up the TSA fees, but at a conservative estimate I'd say they're raking in at least another R2 500 000 from temp license fees alone.

Add to that some membership fees, lotto funding (apparently), broadcast rights and event fees and I'm guessing you're looking at a minimum of R5 000 000 a year,

Again: for what? To make sure I can enjoy the race? I'll leave that to the race organisers, thanks. The only reason TSA pushes their snout into every event on the pretext of making it more enjoyable for the athlete, is to get some more cash out of the athletes and organisers.

So R5 000 000 a year to have one representative go to a race now and then and to sit in a chair at a meeting every now and then?

Well, if they're not fat cats, they should get someone to look at their finances.

They're getting R100 per athlete per event. I don't know what the exact numbers are, but they're getting at least R500 000 just from the 70.3 and Ironman events.

I don't know how many other events there are that all have to cough up the TSA fees, but at a conservative estimate I'd say they're raking in at least another R2 500 000 from temp license fees alone.

Add to that some membership fees, lotto funding (apparently), broadcast rights and event fees and I'm guessing you're looking at a minimum of R5 000 000 a year,

Again: for what? To make sure I can enjoy the race? I'll leave that to the race organisers, thanks. The only reason TSA pushes their snout into every event on the pretext of making it more enjoyable for the athlete, is to get some more cash out of the athletes and organisers.

So R5 000 000 a year to have one representative go to a race now and then and to sit in a chair at a meeting every now and then?

You keep saying R100/person per event, that is not the case.

Some of the expenditure you are maybe not thinking about is supporting the people such as Richard Murray, Kate etc. with travel to races, coaching physio?

So why do we need to support them success breeds success, and btw lack of success means less lottery funding.

Other costs are helping develop the sport in PD communities ( if they don't do this then as a federation they will lose the support of SASCOC and be unable to take part in ITU international events. Coach development is a further issue/expense.

I think you missed the key point about sanctioning, it is first and foremost to insure safety. You want to leave that to the race organisers fine, I agree there are some guys out there who are excellent, but I can also think of examples where the race would have been unsafe and dangerous if allowed to go ahead in the way the organizer initially set out.

Regarding getting someone in they have and I believe that steps are being taken.

Just thought I'd check.

Sanctioning fee for level 2 races events like Jailbreak and afriman

Less than Std distance R30, Std distance R70, Greater than Std R100.

Level 1 races up to and including provincial champs will be determined by the province but must be less than level 2.

Just thought I'd check.

Sanctioning fee for level 2 races events like Jailbreak and afriman

Less than Std distance R30, Std distance R70, Greater than Std R100.

Level 1 races up to and including provincial champs will be determined by the province but must be less than level 2.

Well, someone's screwing us then. Robben Island Triathlon, Grabouw Xterra and Slanghoek Triathlon are all charging R100 temp license fees and are all shorter than a standard triathlon. 11Global and the 5150 series (standard distance) are also charging R100 per race.

I've never paid less than R100, regardless of race distance.

Fat cats no?

how many triathletes represented RSA at the Olympics?

How many TSA officials made the trip to the Olympics?

compare the sanctioning fees of other governing bodies like CSA and SSA and then tell me that its proportionate

and just to correct the numbers its not R100 per athlete per race its R180.00 (levy + day license) for a ultra if the athlete is not a registered TSA athlete.

with regards to the support of professional athletes, is this a matter of robbing the masses to support the few? why is it the responsibility of the athletes to support the pros? this is exactly why SASCOC is there no?

if the athletes fees are for sport development i am all for it but please provide one example of successful development of a PD athlete and i will humbly apologize.