No Energade triseries?

pastapouch

Again did they invent/patent the sport of triathlon?

Why must events be TSA endorsed?

I organise a triathlon and ask entry fees but discard TSA totally what will this mean? Am I allowed to do this?

Look at what is going on in swim SA. No money to pay the athletes but the heads of state has to be at all the overseas events in 5 star accommodation.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Again did they invent/patent the sport of triathlon?

Why must events be TSA endorsed?

I organise a triathlon and ask entry fees but discard TSA totally what will this mean? Am I allowed to do this?

Look at what is going on in swim SA. No money to pay the athletes but the heads of state has to be at all the overseas events in 5 star accommodation.

believe me its not just Swim SA

theoretically they cant do anything to you if your event complies in terms of the sport and recreation act however, they can deny athletes access to provisional events if they take part in unsanctioned events

Edited by Face Plant

I would like to know further details about this sprint tri series, tired of people bashing TSA and not doing anything about it.

I for one don't like TSA, Cycling Sa etc. but would like an answer to the topic

I would like to know further details about this sprint tri series, tired of people bashing TSA and not doing anything about it.

I for one don't like TSA, Cycling Sa etc. but would like an answer to the topic

Officially there is no information about a new series. There are provisional dates on the calender but that by no means is an indication that the event will take place. so in a nutshell: until official correspondence is made public there is no new series.

No, I'm not wrong. Because I live in Cape Town, I have to join a club to join TSA. On TSA's website it states: "KZN and WP athletes must belong to a provincial club or risk having TSA membership cancelled."

In addition that means I have to compete in my club's strip (another stupid TSA rule). That means another R1000 (at least) for my club strip. So, in addition to TSA's membership fee I must now pay club fees as well. So a cool R1650 to be a TSA member and avoid the mandatory R100 per event they charge. Seems legit.

Multiply the above by 2 by adding my wife and joining TSA becomes a joke.

I realise triathlon isn't a sport for poor people, but shelling out over R3000 a year for very little benefit is a bit steep for me.

I have to agree here. Petrol/suppliments ect add up quickly and I would think the indemnity of atheletes would be covered by the organiser. The atheletes are the ones getting ripped in this whole process - organiser making big profits, TSA asking for money (we dont know where it goes) paying R30 for an energy bar, R400 a tub of 32GI and lets not start on the equipment costs. Tri is a damm expensive sport and it is just increasing at every turn.

I understand there might be a need for TSA to sanction a race (ie make the results legit for SA/Provincial selection) but this should be a really nominal fee like R25

Anyways ill but you a beer after the race!

Then why arent there more non TSA events. The only people interested in them in any case are the top 5%.

And untill the rules of world tri changes we wont ever win an olympic medal.

Then why arent there more non TSA events. The only people interested in them in any case are the top 5%.

How about Henri and Wian working with Richard on the bike to get him into first group without killing himself on the bike. With his run he would be in contention for a medal.

JGR it depends how much the beer costs

Ill bring my own and keep them in the cooler ... got to save at every turn for the TSA fees :)

Same in Cycling.

I think it is one of those things everybody complain but nobody does anything.

The rules they put in place also make hosting events more expensive.

However if you do not have everything in place and get a death or bad accident it can ruin you.

How about Henri and Wian working with Richard on the bike to get him into first group without killing himself on the bike. With his run he would be in contention for a medal.

You assume every triathlete cares about the pro's - if I have money and have a choice to sponsor Richard (who is a great athlete) or myself it becomes a simple choice.

What about Henri and Wian? How about JGR working with people to find them jobs. I work on commission only but would love to get sponsorship money regardless of my success.

If this is the case there should be a choice - R25 admin fee to race OR R100 with the knowledge you sponsor Richard Murray.

Fat cats no?

how many triathletes represented RSA at the Olympics?

How many TSA officials made the trip to the Olympics?

compare the sanctioning fees of other governing bodies like CSA and SSA and then tell me that its proportionate

and just to correct the numbers its not R100 per athlete per race its R180.00 (levy + day license) for a ultra if the athlete is not a registered TSA athlete.

with regards to the support of professional athletes, is this a matter of robbing the masses to support the few? why is it the responsibility of the athletes to support the pros? this is exactly why SASCOC is there no?

if the athletes fees are for sport development i am all for it but please provide one example of successful development of a PD athlete and i will humbly apologize.

In answer to some of your questions

3 Athletes raced at London Olympics and we had 1 coach and a second official who was invited there by ITU so no cost to TSA.

If you are not a member and doing a sprint the combined cost of a level 2 sprint for sanctioning and day liscence is R60, based on TSA policy!

You do raise a valid question on supporting the pro athletes but the reality is without role models the sport will struggle to grow.

You assume every triathlete cares about the pro's - if I have money and have a choice to sponsor Richard (who is a great athlete) or myself it becomes a simple choice.

What about Henri and Wian? How about JGR working with people to find them jobs. I work on commission only but would love to get sponsorship money regardless of my success.

If this is the case there should be a choice - R25 admin fee to race OR R100 with the knowledge you sponsor Richard Murray.

Good point, but I think maybe I was unclear when discussing the support of the pro's.

Remember TSA only get around R125 of your annual membership and a chunk of that goes to athlete insurance, most of the money going to the pros is from lottery funding not from TSA membership fees.

You do raise a valid question on supporting the pro athletes but the reality is without role models the sport will struggle to grow.

And if it is too expensive to enter races it will also never grow.

Well for us to get more athletes into the Olympics we need points (World Series Points). Great Britain had 3 athletes (I think we had 1) ... hence they used 1 upfront to do all the work on the bike (making sure Murray doesn't catch them as well) and then the Brownlees ran away with Gomez.... Only way Murray will win is if he swims faster or get more guys to work on the bike which will also not happen as most countries only have 1 oke in the Olympics. Hence Britain and Australias massive advantage. They can race as teams while the others cant....

There is an interesting article Brett Sutton wrote on the rules - google it...

In terms of the above certain countries even went as far as to send certain athletes to "gain points" on the world circuit while the actual "Olympic racers" where on a training camp. Therefore the guys gaining the points didn't even race London!!! And the guys who didn't had a massive advantage as their competitors had to fight up until 10 days before London to gain points just to qualify whilst they where building it up nicely at camp......

Edited by Garfield2010

Good point, but I think maybe I was unclear when discussing the support of the pro's.

Remember TSA only get around R125 of your annual membership and a chunk of that goes to athlete insurance, most of the money going to the pros is from lottery funding not from TSA membership fees.

Thanks

I appreacite your position and yes we require role models but I cant say that the Pro triathletes are very accessible or even based in the country most of the year so that point does become quite mute. Im also not of the view that sport stars are good role models - in fact much of the time the exact opposite. Like I said a choice would be great

Thanks

I appreacite your position and yes we require role models but I cant say that the Pro triathletes are very accessible or even based in the country most of the year so that point does become quite mute. Im also not of the view that sport stars are good role models - in fact much of the time the exact opposite. Like I said a choice would be great

My final thoughts on this.

Garf some good observations re slots, I am aware that TSA is looking at making sure we have athletes racing at as many events as possible so conserve points so that we can get the 2 slots and I firmly believe that with the way some of our U23's are coming through South Africa could have a competitive mens team.

JGR fair do's mate Sport has not exactly covered itself in glory the last couple of years.

It is too easy to sit on the sidelines and make observations based on misconceptions and without all the facts, and I am sure that I fall into this catergory as much as anyone. But how many people will actually motivate themselves to get up and do something about it?