Cycling machine at gym

spiderkzn, that's an awesome dream to have. Take it one step at a time. I also started doing +- 20km races and have now managed to complete both Berg&Bush and Sani.

Best motivation I find to train is to enter a race that is above my current fitness level.

At the gym, I find the spinning bikes are a lot closer to the feel and setup of a real bike than the other machines.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that profile pic must be old, the height and weight don't match.

My picture taken during FIFA world cup in 2010.

When do you anticipate to turn pro, in a year, six months, 5 years ? like @Hennie VR mention to aim 40-50 km by end of next year As I would like to aim for Pro between in year or 2.

Epic, J2C is not just fro Pro's.

How long do you want to be pro ? for next 10 year in my opinion.

@Nickc Yes I'm die hard Sharks fan! :)

As I'm not playing with you. and I just join thehubsa last month and enjoy the view of your topic/read comment/feedback that it will help me to think twice/ purchase bike / bike shop around durban/ bike spare/ product special and also all thank to ag for discount Rudy backpacker.

give me time to build my fitness and I will believe I can do it!

that profile pic must be old, the height and weight don't match.

My picture taken during FIFA world cup in 2010.

When do you anticipate to turn pro, in a year, six months, 5 years ? like @Hennie VR mention to aim 40-50 km by end of next year As I would like to aim for Pro between in year or 2.

How long do you want to be pro ? for next 10 year in my opinion.

@Nickc Yes I'm die hard Sharks fan! :)

As I'm not playing with you. and I just join thehubsa last month and enjoy the view of your topic/read comment/feedback that it will help me to think twice/ purchase bike / bike shop around durban/ bike spare/ product special and also all thank to ag for discount Rudy backpacker.

give me time to build my fitness and I will believe I can do it!

Well, good luck with all that.

Gee why dont we just go and kill each others dreams. At least he is willing to go and try. He asked for advice not negative comments. I wonder how many guests visit the Hub looking for advice but is to scared to actually join and ask in fear of being shot down and taken the piss out of.

What is worse? Trying to achieve your goal and not getting there or NOT trying and regretting it for the rest of your life.

Me thinks the world will be a much better place if we support and motivate each other instead of demanding that all the single track belong to you. So stop whining about the slow 9yo sharing the track with you and cheer him/her on when you pass them. Even you will feel much better afterwards.

Few things.

That profile pic must be old, the height and weight don't match.

When do you anticipate to turn pro, in a year, six months, 5 years ?

How long do you want to be pro ?

At 30 you have very little time left.

Shew, condescending much?

Ok. Spider. Im all for people and their dreams but unfortunately I am going to have to burst your bubble.

You may still turn pro but it will be in your private capacity. Pro means you gain money through sponsorship because companies have seen your potential to market their brands at the top level of cycling. To get there takes lots of time and you will or will not get there at the age of 33/34 when you have sacrificed everything and been on your bike 5-6 hours a day. At 34 you have past your prime and will start to struggle to keep up with the younger generation therefore no club/sponsor will be interested in cutting you a cheque each month. They will rather invest in a youngster who has talent and results who they know will give them many years of exposure, like a investment portfolio. That being said, you still can race with the top of the crop. you can be a semi-pro with a full time job still giving the guys a hard time all throughout the rest of your life from sub-vets to vets to masters. A person needs a dream in life but I think your dream has come a bit late

Me thinks the world will be a much better place if we support and motivate each other instead of demanding that all the single track belong to you. So stop whining about the slow 9yo sharing the track with you and cheer him/her on when you pass them. Even you will feel much better afterwards.

Oops. Think this part was supposed to be posted in the Trailseeker tread :whistling:

Hey SpiderKZN, I'm also a newbie on the MTB (6 months) and have found that a gym workout a couple of times a week (crosstraining, spinning, circuits etc.) has worked wonders for my overall strength and fitness. As mentioned, nothing is better than time on the bike but you definitely wont hurt yourself doing the gym training.

Best of luck, its awesome to set goals... Enjoy the trails of KZN

Ok. Spider. Im all for people and their dreams but unfortunately I am going to have to burst your bubble.

You may still turn pro but it will be in your private capacity. Pro means you gain money through sponsorship because companies have seen your potential to market their brands at the top level of cycling. To get there takes lots of time and you will or will not get there at the age of 33/34 when you have sacrificed everything and been on your bike 5-6 hours a day. At 34 you have past your prime and will start to struggle to keep up with the younger generation therefore no club/sponsor will be interested in cutting you a cheque each month. They will rather invest in a youngster who has talent and results who they know will give them many years of exposure, like a investment portfolio. That being said, you still can race with the top of the crop. you can be a semi-pro with a full time job still giving the guys a hard time all throughout the rest of your life from sub-vets to vets to masters. A person needs a dream in life but I think your dream has come a bit late

Alright @Capcha you have a point. Guys that what I meant Semi-pro as so far keep enjoy what I'm doing. :) That why I'm aiming to be professional and therefore I dont need a sponsorship as I can attend many event as I can :)

Shew, condescending much?

Huge difference between being condescending and realistic.

I think Capcha puts it quite nicely, even though you might see it as condescending.

Spiderkzn.

keep on with the strength training.

i started riding mtb in january last year. i strated gym training, weight training twice a week with spinning and a ride over the weekends.

i have managed to cut my times down on last years races by a huge margine. eg March Hare 30Km dropped from 1:45 to 1:15. northans quickie 20Km dropped from 1:40 to 1:10

i am now fininshing top +-60 on a consistant basis.

yes weight playes a big role in uphills and muscle weighs more than fat. but with more muscle your power to weight ratio improves. and unless you are going to be paid to ride i would rather do full body workouts over just legs.

in another sport it took me 5 years to compete at the top level and earn my Protea colours. blood sweat and tears is what it will take to get to your goals.

follow NIKE and "JUST DO IT". keep us updated to your progress.

Huge difference between being condescending and realistic.

I think Capcha puts it quite nicely, even though you might see it as condescending.

I don't think that ANY goal is ever unrealistic... Read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and have a think about all the normal people who have achieved the 'unrealistic' dreams and goals that they set?

I don't think that ANY goal is ever unrealistic... Read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell and have a think about all the normal people who have achieved the 'unrealistic' dreams and goals that they set?

Yeah I hear you dude.

I will be swallowing my words when he turns PRO.

Spiderkzn.

keep on with the strength training.

i started riding mtb in january last year. i strated gym training, weight training twice a week with spinning and a ride over the weekends.

i have managed to cut my times down on last years races by a huge margine. eg March Hare 30Km dropped from 1:45 to 1:15. northans quickie 20Km dropped from 1:40 to 1:10

i am now fininshing top +-60 on a consistant basis.

yes weight playes a big role in uphills and muscle weighs more than fat. but with more muscle your power to weight ratio improves. and unless you are going to be paid to ride i would rather do full body workouts over just legs.

in another sport it took me 5 years to compete at the top level and earn my Protea colours. blood sweat and tears is what it will take to get to your goals.

follow NIKE and "JUST DO IT". keep us updated to your progress.

Now again, not trying to be condescending.

Go to the 60 km. events and see if you can yield the same result.

Then go to 120 km. events and see if you can yet do the same.

That's what it takes to become pro. except not even top 10 is good enough.

Well done on your achievements thus far, by the way.