Lightweight MTB for Kids?

ZeroPlay

i looked at the momsen range when looking for my daughters first 26" and was quite disappointed with the "bang for buck" aspect. Ended up buying second hand Scott for 4k that suits her perfectly.

was referring to their lightweight kids bike - 20" and 24" wheels

http://www.momsenbikes.com/media/k2/items/cache/675d28c04794e3c683f4419536c4c15f_M.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also just been through this with my son.

I built him a lightweight little racing machine with full 9 speed X0 with AC wheels.

Frame is 650b, so when he outgrows current config I can put a longer stem and 650b wheels on.

Bike weighs 8, 98kgs without pedals.

He has just turned 10

bliksem. I hope he doesn't leave it out in the rain. This him on his roadbike?

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nddcn.jpg

bliksem. I hope he doesn't leave it out in the rain. This him on his roadbike?

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/nddcn.jpg

Nope.

I'm hoping he understands the value. He washes it after every ride and puts it away in the garage on its stand.

What I got was a brand new aluminium fork with straight steerer tube for a bargain cause nobody wants that anymore. Front wheel with through axle came with it from a Giant MTB.

Rear wheel is Fulcrim Redmetal 5.

Rest is Shimano 9spd with 170mm SLX cranks.

Seat tube is also quite decent.

Exactly the same one as the pic posted earlier.

I built 2 of them: one for my son and one for my daughter.

She politely told me she would "never use it to it's full potential, so she will take her brothers old bike".

So its a spare now

I think most important is to have him on something that fits him rather than weight. He needs to be comfortable and enjoy it that that age.

My 11 year old is still riding a 24" Merida dual which is lank heavy but he is so courageous and comforable on it. Other boys his age is riding 26ers and even 29ers but they get of where he is still going! Wont be long now be4 he needs to get ons a bigger bike, but I think it helped his confidence immensely.

Exactly the same one as the pic posted earlier.

I built 2 of them: one for my son and one for my daughter.

She politely told me she would "never use it to it's full potential, so she will take her brothers old bike".

So its a spare now

Hi , send you a pm. regarding spare bike.

Rode one of these in primary school (After my steel frame Rocky V), was hitting the Old Eden DH tracks every day after school, and only had to replace the front fork 6 times with the rims.... which showed commitment, haha

think bought it for a wopping R250

Id say go as cheap as possible and only look for decent bike, once he'she decides she enjoys Mtb'ing. No use forcing kids into your own hobby and sitting with expensive Niche market bike which cannot sell.

post-28006-0-87679500-1375784366_thumb.jpg

was referring to their lightweight kids bike - 20" and 24" wheels

http://www.momsenbikes.com/media/k2/items/cache/675d28c04794e3c683f4419536c4c15f_M.jpg

These look really good to me. Does anyone have experience with them. Starting to look to upgrade my daughter's 20"MTB to an 24".

Rode one of these in primary school (After my steel frame Rocky V), was hitting the Old Eden DH tracks every day after school, and only had to replace the front fork 6 times with the rims.... which showed commitment, haha

think bought it for a wopping R250

Id say go as cheap as possible and only look for decent bike, once he'she decides she enjoys Mtb'ing. No use forcing kids into your own hobby and sitting with expensive Niche market bike which cannot sell.

post-28006-0-87679500-1375784366_thumb.jpg

TOPANGA!

I had one of those. It was too big for me so I then "upgraded" to a Sedona. Then an ATX 830 with a whopping 60mm travel

My kids Titan 20 inch is to small he is nine. Im in a dilemma of going to 24 inch or just get a 26 inch xs and let him grow with that.

I am leaning twds 26inch as i sick of buying bikes every 2 years

My kids Titan 20 inch is to small he is nine. Im in a dilemma of going to 24 inch or just get a 26 inch xs and let him grow with that.

I'd go 26, personally. Then all you need to do to upgrade is buy a new frame every 3 to 6 years!

I agree , In same boat, told my son he must wait a bit longer till he can fir on 26". However visiting friends they already had 26" and he rode it without issue. He is 1.3 m so not tall for his age.

Looking for XS 26" now.

He actually wants a road bike which is harder to find for them.

Cavendish is his hero so it took a lot of convincing that he must first get MTB.