Specialized 2012 Brain Fork service

jeremy.king

I've got a 2011 Epic with a Rochshox Reba Brain fork on it.  I'm pretty tired of the brain and its ridiculous service costs.  I've heard you can replace the damper on these forks with a standard Rockshox one.  Anyone know which damper one has to order.  Also, is it an easy job or something best left to the pros?

I've got a 2011 Epic with a Rochshox Reba Brain fork on it.  I'm pretty tired of the brain and its ridiculous service costs.  I've heard you can replace the damper on these forks with a standard Rockshox one.  Anyone know which damper one has to order.  Also, is it an easy job or something best left to the pros?

You'll need a Reba / SID compression damper assembly - there are a few choices here, but they'll all fit. You'll also need a rebound damper assembly - as far as I know there's only one kind for Rebas and SIDs.

• 3 years later...

Going to post here but could be a far wider issue im hoping to get some insight into, but has anyone with a carbon crown from a specialized MTB had to replace the crown as it leaks air?

My 2012 brain fork (dual air) was working awesomely, ive kept up to date with its services in fact servicing it way before the 150hr mark as i dont really ride my epic that much, when all of the sudden it collapsed on my coming down a hill. 

Im being told that the crown can crack and then bleed out and cause the fork not to hold air. Im being quoted around R5,5k to replace/repair it, although still waiting for final confirmation back from Spez HQ in Stellies.

The 2012 Epic remains an awesome bike, its alot of bike from that time that to me hasnt changed much in technology up until today, thus i see the re-investment as worthwhile vs ditching the fork and going T/A and incurring costs on relacing my wheel with a TA hub etc.

Im hoping to hear what others here have done, and the rationale they applied. A new reba with remote included on CWC is R7,499 at the moment, im really considering just a complete upgrade.

Thoughts?

There are still plenty of potential customers who aren't mechanically inclined, don't have the tools or the time, or just plain can't be arsed. I meet them every day ;)

???????????? I'm that guy ☝

Going to post here but could be a far wider issue im hoping to get some insight into, but has anyone with a carbon crown from a specialized MTB had to replace the crown as it leaks air?

My 2012 brain fork (dual air) was working awesomely, ive kept up to date with its services in fact servicing it way before the 150hr mark as i dont really ride my epic that much, when all of the sudden it collapsed on my coming down a hill. 

Im being told that the crown can crack and then bleed out and cause the fork not to hold air. Im being quoted around R5,5k to replace/repair it, although still waiting for final confirmation back from Spez HQ in Stellies.

The 2012 Epic remains an awesome bike, its alot of bike from that time that to me hasnt changed much in technology up until today, thus i see the re-investment as worthwhile vs ditching the fork and going T/A and incurring costs on relacing my wheel with a TA hub etc.

Im hoping to hear what others here have done, and the rationale they applied. A new reba with remote included on CWC is R7,499 at the moment, im really considering just a complete upgrade.

Thoughts?

get the new fork , your bushes are probaly pretty worn.

TA will be better egarding steering 

and remember to buy a boost fork if you're gona buy a new hub anyway , so you can future proof the bike a little

There are still plenty of potential customers who aren't mechanically inclined, don't have the tools or the time, or just plain can't be arsed. I meet them every day ;)

I'm that guy ☝

I think there are actually three types:

1. Home mechanics who have the R25k parktool set hanging in the garage and generally seem to always have the most breakdowns - you will know who they are as they always complain about a noise on their bike only they can hear - a symptom of the OCD nature of this type
  2. The bush mechanics who have built up enough of a tool connection for just enough to get the basics on the bike done so that they dont get stranded, and mostly depend too much on their LBS, but still use them for the major work - Suspension, Bearings that need proper torque/press equipment, lacing of wheels etc
  3. The Complete hands off rider who drops their bike off weekly at their LBS for a wash and lube and beyond, making time for only riding the bike and not fixing it.

I personally think it helps to be a 2 equal time spent fixing/maintaining for the time spent riding, where 1 and 3 is too expensive in Time or Money respectively. 

get the new fork , your bushes are probaly pretty worn.

TA will be better egarding steering 

and remember to buy a boost fork if you're gona buy a new hub anyway , so you can future proof the bike a little

I think this is the general direction im headed in. Im busy reading up on the recommendations between RockShox Reba RL, Rockshox SID WC, and FOX Rhythm (All 100mm XC forks),

The SID WC seems to be the winner with a carbon steerer and somewhat better small bump dampening (Charge 2) setup.

Ill wait for Spez to confirm the problem on my Brain and take it from there. What interests me is that this is meant to be a common problem, but yet to hear from anyone who has had the same problem. (ive ridden and owned several EPICs with carbon steerers between the 2012, 2013 and 2014 models and really am somewhat suprised)

• 2 weeks later...

I think this is the general direction im headed in. Im busy reading up on the recommendations between RockShox Reba RL, Rockshox SID WC, and FOX Rhythm (All 100mm XC forks),

The SID WC seems to be the winner with a carbon steerer and somewhat better small bump dampening (Charge 2) setup.

Ill wait for Spez to confirm the problem on my Brain and take it from there. What interests me is that this is meant to be a common problem, but yet to hear from anyone who has had the same problem. (ive ridden and owned several EPICs with carbon steerers between the 2012, 2013 and 2014 models and really am somewhat suprised)

The Blackbox RS crowns are notorious for leaking, I've replaced many a CSU because of this. I'm not sure if they've fixed this issue with the newer gen forks, but for my money I'd go with an alu CSU just to be safe.

• 2 weeks later...

The Blackbox RS crowns are notorious for leaking, I've replaced many a CSU because of this. I'm not sure if they've fixed this issue with the newer gen forks, but for my money I'd go with an alu CSU just to be safe.

Just wanted to thank Andrew(s) from Stoked Suspension for sorting out my fork issue in the end. Not only did they sort me out with a new CSU, the completely rebuilt and serviced my SID and converted my air canister from dual to solo air.

Got home yesterday, rebuilt my bike and took it for a quick ride up Table Mountain. I was astounded at just how good the fork felt, in fact not to sound prejudice, but can honestly say its never felt this good (even after two very expensive 150hr services with Specialized Stellenbosch).

Ill be posting a seperate post here with a picture which properly shows the issue with the blackbox carbon steerers - any s-works owner should take note.

The attached picture gives you an idea of the problem with the Rockshox SID forks manufactured for Specialized with the Blackbox Carbon Crown used on the CSU. You can clearly see corrosion holes in the stanchion, specifically where its bonded to the carbon.

The term used is "galvanic corrosion" and well documented attribute of carbon composites:

Carbon Composites' Drawbacks

Despite all of the excellent properties of CFRCs, there are issues with using CFRC and metals together. Carbon fibers in CFRPs cause this material to become electrically conductive. The carbon fibers are electrically conductive and electrochemically very noble. Therefore, when a metal is electrically connected to a CFRP, it is more susceptible to galvanic corrosion. This situation becomes worse when a large surface area of carbon composite components is coupled to small metallic parts (such as fasteners, bolts and nuts). In these circumstances, the rate of galvanic corrosion is extremely high due to the high cathode to anode surface area ratio (Ac/Aa).

From the above its interesting to note that an electric charge is needed, assuming this comes from static generated by friction in the fork perhaps.

Its worth noting that specialized still manufacture forks in this design, it almost seems like a design flaw they continue to ignore despite the evidence that its causing a number of issues among their clientele. I also motivate that it presents a riding danger, on the day that my fork decided to stop working, i only noticed i had a bottoming out fork coming down a hairy decent on Table Mountain.

I encourage s-works owners to have their forks checked, it doesnt even need a service, just for the air canister to be removed and inspected.

post-60006-0-18111900-1547796696_thumb.jpg

Archived