Bizarre Complexity

Johan Bornman

Would have seen more use if it had been given to the homeless.

The glue for sniffing or the hubs for decoration...

The only logic i can think of is that if one of those spoke inserts became unusable and you could not remove it then you might be able to replace just one flange instead of the whole hub....

edit spelling

Edited by SwissVan

Jaaa ja but you didnt answer the question!!

Maybe they have a good reason for glueing the flanges onto the body,... like a large batch of surplus glue that was going to expire soon and they had to use it or loose it...its expensive to recycle glue in switz..

An oversupply of dead horses. No good flogging them, so they boiled them and made some hubs instead.

Trolling doesn't suit you.

At last someone that understands me....I'll take that as an endorsment :ph34r:

At the time it was the only form of argument i could come up with, that being to ask the qiestion that no one likes to answer

With all due respect, off the record and without prejudice....

I think you're all missing the point. There are three questions that are important in design:

Is it lighter ?

Is it more expensive ?

Will my friends be impressed ?

edit typo

Edited by johannrissik

An oversupply of dead horses. No good flogging them, so they boiled them and made some hubs instead.

Now I ask who it was that first looked at a horse & thought "Hmmn, that would make good adhesive"?

With all due respect, off the record and without prejudice....

I think you're all missing the point. There are three questions that are important in design:

Is it lighter ?

Is it more expensive ?

Will my friends be impressed ?

edit typo

Sorry, I must have overlooked the obvious.

Point one. No

Point two: Yes (big time, making up for lost point one).

Point three: Not if they know about design but, if they are a bit shallow and know what it costs, they will be moerse impressed.

Obviously the engineers won the battle with the bean counter on this one!

Maybe the swopped jobs for a few days

I think a decision / assumption was made early in the design process, and the entire design was built around this decision / assumption. And during the design process the "founding" decisions / assumptions were not revisited to check whether they were still valid.

Seen this happen in my line of work as well, you end up with a monstrosity and you wonder how it got to this point. And by that stage its too far down the line to change things, and too many egos involved to say "We cocked this one up boys".

I know very little about this but maybe you could maybe rationalise the spoke inserts on having to increase the thread bearing area of the small diameter spoke threads in the aluminium which is softer than the spoke material. Maybe they should have looked at the Easton hubs first.