Amashova 2013

fabs

Hi guys

I am racing an old friend. We are at the same level. We have a bet going on who is going to win.

For those who have done this race... Say we are together with 5km to go still what is the best place to attack for the win?? How is the run in?

What's the bet?

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Garfield, if you're together going into the last 5km, I would make him pull through DBN city centre (still a head wind at that stage), then right on the corner as it hooks left to the final stretch to the stadium I'd go full taps right there and open a gap. Because now you'll be in a strongish R to L cross wind and he won't be able to sit on your wheel. Even a small gap on that corner should be enough, if your legs are still good. In a cross wind, lots of opportunity to open a gap and hold it from relatively far out.

Garfield, if you're together going into the last 5km, I would make him pull through DBN city centre (still a head wind at that stage), then right on the corner as it hooks left to the final stretch to the stadium I'd go full taps right there and open a gap. Because now you'll be in a strongish R to L cross wind and he won't be able to sit on your wheel. Even a small gap on that corner should be enough, if your legs are still good. In a cross wind, lots of opportunity to open a gap and hold it from relatively far out.

Although that is still a fair distance to the finish. The finishing straight is quite long. You could try a few attacks like at the corner to test his legs depending how you feeling.

Or you can get some Hub allies to help you and force him to chase them down. :D

300m before the end , there is a banner across the road ( last 2 or 3 year - I think) I have seen okes pull away for the sprint only to race under this banners :clap: and then realize the actual finish ahead . . .

By that time the matches has been used and the group swallow them before the actual sprint . . .

If I had to go for a sprint finish , I would take a gap 50 - 80 meters after this banner . . . Straight and fast 220 meters flat out! With your deep sections you will fly away from anyone . . . Be careful as Andy249 will be on your wheel :ph34r:

For sure!

And Prozac probably on mine! :w00t:

Weather is looking *** for Sunday.

Max. 12 - 14 degrees, drizzle, and the south-easter will be blowing. Essentially this means a head wind, and the SE is a cold wind. Wind chill should bring perceived temps down into single digits.

The descent down Fields Hill should be an interesting one if it's slick.

Pack the thermals, folks.

On that note: Fields Hill's road surface is not the greatest, especially the left lane so try and stay to the right (if possible). They have filled up the potholes but the road surface is full of ridges etc.

See you all Sunday and if you see a super tired moo cow (CHOC) struggling on her red farm gate (my trusty raleigh) - give her a push pleeeeeeze!!

On that note: Fields Hill's road surface is not the greatest, especially the left lane so try and stay to the right (if possible). They have filled up the potholes but the road surface is full of ridges etc.

See you all Sunday and if you see a super tired moo cow (CHOC) struggling on her red farm gate (my trusty raleigh) - give her a push pleeeeeeze!!

probably the worst bit of road is just after Hillcrest (the descent into Gillitts). Last year they patched the left hand lane but this year they have done nothing - pls make sure you are in the fast lane.

probably the worst bit of road is just after Hillcrest (the descent into Gillitts). Last year they patched the left hand lane but this year they have done nothing - pls make sure you are in the fast lane.

Ok guys these two portions. At what distance are they. Its not like I can look out for street names?!

Ok. Here are the Hubber start groups from what I can see throughout the thread.

Long Distance

VA

SurferChild

Andydude

Sharkysa

A

Prozac

Cyclewizz

Aurora

Bradwentzel

Antonj

Ricochet_Rabbit

Andyr249 (Black and red Cycle Nation kit)

C

BMXER

Zatek

D

Garfield

I

Ecko_1 (Black unbranded kit with little blue on the top)

P

Flat29

Tombeej

Jimmycool (Hill2Hill kit)

Short Distance

B

Spiderkzn

I'll edit it if more reply with their group.

What kit you all going to be riding in? (I'll add it to this list).

Edited by Andyr249

Ok. Here are the Hubber start groups from what I can see throughout the thread.

VA

SurferChild

Andydude

Sharkysa

A

Prozac

Cyclewizz

Garfield

Aurora

Bradwentzel

Antonj

Ricochet_Rabbit

Andyr249

C

BMXER

Zatek

I

Ecko_1 (Black kit with little blue in the top unbranded)

P

Flat29

Tombeej

I'll edit it if more reply with their group.

What kit you all going to be riding in? (I'll add it to this list).

Ok guys these two portions. At what distance are they. Its not like I can look out for street names?!

you will go down Botha's Hill (steep with sharp left hand corner), at the bottom you will turn 90 degrees and continue downhill. From there you will climb up and turn left onto the M13 (highway). This is a fast downhill which turns into a nasty little climb, you then descend again and have another little climb, you go under a bridge (Main Hillcrest exit) and there is a mini golf course on your left. The next descent is where you want to be in the right hand lane. Fields Hill is about another 5/6km further on.

25-30km from the finish.

Also, watch out for the sharp 90 degree left turn at the end of a 1km downhill abt 8km from the finish. They usually have straw bales there - and make sure you're in the right gear - people often get dropped there because the didn't shift up before the turn.

Edited by ricochet_rabbit